1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Semi-auto in an ATA event

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by NU2Shooting1027, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

I am planning on shooting a registered ATA event this weekend for the first time. This will be my first time shooting registered targets and last night while reading through the ATA rule book I came across something that I need clarified. I shoot a beretta xtrema 2 that is a semi-auto. In the rule book it says something along the lines of shells that are ejected from a gun must not interfer with the shooter on the enxt station. So I was wondering if it is REQUIRED to have a shell catcher or use a rubber band on a semi-auto to catch the ejected shells? Don't want to show up on saturday and find out that I can't shoot my beretta and have to use my mossberg 500 which puts a hurting on my shoulder.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Do not ever shoot on the line whether registered or not without a shell catcher unless you are shooting doubles

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I don't have any idea what the hell Barry is trying to say?! Just common courtesy, deflect the shells! You would not like it if you and your gun was getting peppered by the guy next to you! Rubber band will be fine til you get a shell catcher! Tom Rhoads

4. Bavaria-Grade

Bavaria-Grade Member

For once Tom and I are in complete agreement. Use something to either catch the empties or deflect them to the ground. Just imagine how you would feel if someone was peppering your K or P gun with empties.

Jerry Baker

5. NU2Shooting1027

I am dead set on calling every gun shop within a reasonable drive tomorrow to see if i can find one. I am shooting at Carney and the 1 time I shot there for practice targets there were 2 other guys shooting semi-auto's. 1 guy was actaully very friendly and helped me with figuring this game out, I had only shot 3 rounds prior to me going to Carney, and neither of them had shell catchers. But I know how people are when money is involved, been a tournament fishermen for a few years now and some people can be down right nasty and ignorant when tourney time comes around. I'm just trying to do the right thing and not piss anyone off. Anyone from MD know of a shop that stocks them? Called Bart's today and they said they don't make a specific one for my gun, so I did a little searching and found that the Birchwood Casey Save-It Shell Catcher is not make/model specific, just need to find a place that carries them.

6. NU2Shooting1027

If I can't find one tomorrow, any suggestions other than a rubber band of what I can make up to accomplish the same as a deflector or catcher?

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Here's another thought, which I do for doubles. Find a squad with three people on it, and ask that they leave the position next to you open. Usually that's not a problem.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

NU2',

The Birchwood/Casey catcher will work just fine and probably be your only choice for the gun. They can be flipped up when not needed. The other plus is that it won't mar the finish of your gun. You may have to tweak the wire a bit to make it work properly for your gun.

ec90t

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

I shot a gas gun in singles one season and liminated the ejection problem by removing the gas piston.

10. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

after cleaning i forgot to put mine on a few times never realized till i got to shoot the best thing to do if you dont have is dont sign up till you ask people if they mind quite a few dont sign up next to that person i have shot next to quite a few newbies that havent had them i just tell them some of the old folks get grumpy they should buy them but im not going to get mad if your a prick to them that could be another shooter lost the only thing that drives me nuts is the people that are pulling there guns up before you even say pull and have had a few guy that could barely breathe and were wheezing setting off targets

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Grumpy hell. If you are so inconsiderate to bounce shells off the person next to you then you deserve to be asked to leave the squad. The shooter getting hit paid his money too and deserves some common courtesy from the person to his left. Don't get pissed when the shooter to the right walks off the squad and goes to resquad, he shouldn't have to but he does.

I'll tell you what I'll just take my empties, turn around and throw them at your head and gun. Tell me how you like it.

Common courtesy goes a long ways.

Don

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I was shooting a Browning auto once and couldn't find a shell catcher. I removed the extractor, pin and spring from the bolt face and it worked just fine. The empty stayed in the loading port and was easily removed after each shot. HMB

13. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

Nothing like making a new shooter feel welcome with all of our collective rules or opinions. Tim

14. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Allan - go to your local Gander Mountain if you have one close by. Right there by where the sling swivels and the fiber optic sights are should be some shell catchers. They usually carry the T&S shell catcher for both Beretta and Remington. The one your looking for will be for a Beretta 390 or 391. I have also seen the Birchwood Casey type of shell catcher at Gander Mountain as well.

If your not to far from Baltimore you could also try Bass Pro as well.

If for some reason you cannot find one before the event do not worry. Tell them when you check in and possibly maybe another shooter might have one for you to use and if not bring some big rubber bands with you and ask for some help in making it work. If you show up without a shell catcher do not worry, let them know when you check in to put you on a squad with a possible open spot next to you but at least your letting them know.

Do not worry about all the huffers and puffers touting the rules and this and that if you dont have one you dont have one but you let them know at registration so that they can put you and possibly inform the person next to you that you may be ejecting shells towards them. Maybe they will and maybe they wont let you shoot but at least you have done all you could.

Good shooting and dont let your mind play games with you. You will most likely miss a target or two but so does almost everyone else.

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

We were all New Shooters at one time.

Like any game, there are things you must do (rules) and should do (common courtesy). The rule book will tell you what must be done and you will learn how to be a good guy to shoot with by heeding the advice of seasoned shooters.

No one will enjoy getting hit by empties - you know that already. Some good advice above.

You will have more fun if the guy next to you is not pissed at you. You can expect to a get some heat from the shooters who are serious and/or have guns that cost well over $10,000. It is your call in the end.

Don

16. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

As a left handed shooter I don't like getting hit in the head !

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Bob ... have you thought about wearing a helmet?

18. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Great idea...

19. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Ya know Bob ... it would have to be a highspeed lowdrag custom helmet designed for the shooting sport people with a special custom cheek cutout so it would not interfere with the mounting of the gun but still protect the shooter. It could also have custom optional full face shield in various colors to prevent the need for any interference with shooting glasses. It could also have a special sound dampening inner coating so as to prevent the need from ever having to use ear protection again. It could also possibly have a special snap lock type of connection to the stock so it could be considered a possibly fully fitted system so that once it is properly strapped to your head and snapped to the stock it will be a perfect fit and sight picture for you target crushing enjoyment ... yep ... sounds like a possible fantastic new business idea.

I bet we could make millions on the idea ...

20. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Hopefully you can find one by the time the shoot is scheduled. If you can't the rubber band will work fine. As far as "racking" the pump gun hard, it would take MUCH force to equal the force of an auto's ejecton and I have never seen shells fly very far from a pump gun, but bear in mind unless you are VERY used to shooting a pump, it will be a disadvantage in doubles. For years people shot autos for doubles and not much was said, but as of late a lot of newer shooters take offense to an auto throwing hulls. Berettas DO have a reputation for slinging hulls a good ways. Trying to squad with an empty space might be a good idea. Shoot well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata rules on shell catchers

content

ejecting shells out of a semi automatic in trap shooting

shell catcher requirements ata