1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Semi-Auto Ban - Washington State

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    BOHICA. It was only a matter of time before this crap came up.

State lawmakers to seek ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons

In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington.

By Molly Rosbach

Seattle Times staff reporter

In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington.

The lawmakers intend to propose the ban in the state legislative session that begins next month.

The legislation, called the Aaron Sullivan Public Safety and Police Protection Bill, would prohibit the sale of such weapons to private citizens and require current owners to pass background checks.

It is named for Aaron Sullivan, 18, who was fatally shot last July in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood, allegedly with an assault-style weapon.

Supporters say they also are motivated by the Oct. 31 slaying of Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton and the wounding of his partner. Police believe a .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle was used then.

The bill is backed by Seattle's police department, spokeswoman Renee Witt said. Also pushing it is Washington Ceasefire, a nonprofit that seeks to reduce gun violence. The group plans a news conference today to announce the proposal.

The lawmakers who plan to sponsor the bill are Rep. Ross Hunter, D-Medina; Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle; and Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles, D-Seattle.

The ban would cover semiautomatics designed for military use that are capable of rapid-fire and can hold more than 10 rounds. Semiautomatics designed for sporting or hunting purposes wouldn't be banned.

"If they're used in the army, used in the war — that's what this ban is about," said Ralph Fascitelli, the board president of Washington Ceasefire.

Dave Workman, senior editor of Gun Week, a publication of the Second Amendment Foundation in Bellevue, said such a ban would punish law-abiding citizens who own such guns.

"I don't care if my neighbor has a dozen of the things; ... as long as he's not hurting anyone or breaking any laws, leave him alone," Workman said.

He also said he doesn't consider the gun police say was used to kill Brenton an assault rifle.

Hunter knows getting the bill through the Legislature would be difficult, because of concerns about limits on gun ownership. However, he thinks the ban is necessary.

"We don't allow people to own tanks or bazookas or machine guns, and very few people think that that's an unreasonable restriction," he said.

Kohl-Welles said the lawmakers are trying to be practical and aren't suggesting guns be taken from current owners.

"What we're trying to get at is there's no place to have sales of military assault rifles or weapons in this state," she said.

She also said she doesn't believe such a ban would violate the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms.

"Did the framers of our Constitution ever envision something like a semi-automatic weapon?" she asked.

(The framers of our Constitution never envisaged things like radio, television or modern high speed offset presses, so does that mean the First Amendment doesn't apply to them?)

2. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

This kind of stuff is like a creeping cancer....
    That said, keep in mind that when "the framers" wrote the Second Amendment the citizens whose rights they were attempting to ensure already had MORE ADVANCED WEAPONS than the army of occupation they had recently defeated. The Pennslyvania long rifle was "state of the art" weaponry back then, and our founders were making sure that we would always be so armed against tyranny.

3. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

It always drives me crazy when the libs and "news" reporters talk about "gun violence." It ain't gun violence. It may be violence committed with a gun but . . . . .

I never hear them talk about "knife violence or baseball bat violence" when someone gets stabbed or hit over the head !

It's kind of like everyone referring to the Democratic Party instead of the Democrat Party.

Minor but important distinctions it seems to me.

Whew, it always feels better to vent ! !

If they pass this will they then be able to next review ownership of all semi-auto shotguns ? Camels nose under the tent !

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If these people really want to do something they should go after the mental system and the prison system. They say when they leave prison that they are OK and safe to be out. But yet they kill. The mental people are just a ticking time bomb. Look at Va Tech and the then the other killer who stabbed the so called girl friend.

5. bigmike

bigmike TS Member

I believe these people that think up this kind of stuff shouldnt hold public office,just because they want gun control Doesnt mean i do.Last time i checked the Only person that can protect you is you,and people banning guns is not the answer.bigmike

6. bocephus

bocephus Member

Mike the democrats do not care what you or I want! Ultimately they want ALL of us disarmed so we can be contained more easily. So many can't see what's coming our way soon, I wonder if they will see and appove what they have promoted by supporting the libs after the fact?

7. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

How tired one gets reading about banning certain guns by politicians who only care about getting votes. It all sounds so good to the public who doesn't know the difference. Dave Hunt

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

"All lead" died in the 2004 legislature.

The 10 mile long funeral procession for the four police officers killed several weeks ago made a big local impression but things will quiet down.

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The part that disturbs me the most is the attitude by fellow gun owners in less restrictive states "I live in California" who have a smug attitude about it all. Keep something in mind, if it happens in Califonia it is only a matter of time before others try to emulate it. All gun owners need to ban together to stop the liberal bureaucraps. Find some worthy way to contribute to the cause for the protection our freedoms as a nation.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.