1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling reloads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

There are a few people I know who sell their own reloads to fellow shooters. Are these people exposing themselves to mega law suits in case of a catostrophic gun failure?

Phil Berkowitz

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

They are also doing business as unlicensed ammunition manufacturers without the necessary permits, papers and blessing of the Government. Illegal manufacture, distribution and sale of ammunition is bound to viewed as a really dumb thing to do.

MK

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Don't forget the 11% Federal Excise Tax. Another problem, besides Civil Liability.

As a Type VII FFL holder, Firearms and Ammunition manufacturer, it is hardly worth the trouble. I have developed and sell ammo not otherwise available, and load some configurations not easily available. Would I go through the paperwork mess again, knowing what I know now?

Uhhh,,,, I'll get back to you on that.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I shared loaded rounds with friends. I never took cash but bartered for bags of shot or primers or something. Just friends helping friends. I would never put my name on anything or take money for it. I sure wouldn't do that with strangers.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Even giving them away could be illegal. Reloading can be done for your own use. Once you "distribute" them to other people, you can be in deep doo doo, whether you sold, traded, or gave them away. Then there is the liability angle. You could find yourself defending against a major lawsuit, whether it was your fault or not.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Too much libality, I won't even give you a reload. I shoot reloads but my extras are factory. You borrow a shell, you get a factory shell.

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

I am very confident about my reloads but I consider them the same as parachutes. I'll pack mine, you pack yours. On those rare occasions I shoot a gun I don't own, I only use factory bullets.

sissy

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

But you give them to your wife, children and grand kids without a thought ???

10. Ed in MD

Ed in MD TS Member

Wow,

A number of times I've handed one of my spare shells (reloads) to someone on the line who "ran out" or had a blooper, etc. Never considered the liability issue. I'll carry factory ammo on my belt as spares from now on. Thank you all for this thread!!

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I trade 'em for beers after league.

Seriously, I do give a box of shells once in a while. I will continue to do so.

We had to shoot off for the league championship once, and one of our guys had no extra shells along, so he borrowed a box.

This does happen occasionally, and I would hesitate to see everyone getting all anal retentive about it.

HM

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Private persons can sell or give away their reloads in Indiana as long as:

You have paid the state sells tax on the components.

You are not in the ammunition manufacturing business.

You make no profits on resale.

You are not liable if anything happens. It was non for profit. Its buyer beware. You couldn't prove if it was the reloads or gun anyhow. Read all the K-Gun and CG blowup threads.

Wayne

13. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ljutic111:

If your comment was directed at me, I don't give reloads to anyone - friends or family.

sissy

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wayne

You need to add, as long as the ATF does not find out.....

ATF trumps State Law.

15. fishguts

fishguts Member

320090T.......thats a good idea, I'll carry some new shells for extra's, no one ever seems to have any.

Wayne

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

221, if your not in the business of selling reloaded ammo, and the ammo you have reloaded and decided to sell....If it's not armor piercing and non-for profit, the ATF has no jurisdiction. State laws supersede.

Wayne

17. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

<EM>"Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
    Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]"</EM>

To me this says no.....Personal means you or I only......not your buddy.

Even favors can be interpreted as profit or gain.

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Sissy , My statement was in general about those oppose this but who give their shells to family members . I would do the same as I have faith in what I reload . Can`t say the same about others who reload .

19. himark

himark Well-Known Member

ata john has it right!

You guys are to scared of the black helicopters hovering over your house!

You cant live life worried bout some guy falling over a crack in your sidewalk and it henders you from having the party...just to many reasons to say "to much liability".

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

One good thing about paranoia....you're never alone!!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.