1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling on this site

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tyrone Biggums, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrone Biggums

Tyrone Biggums Member

I am new to this site and have some questions about selling guns. I posted an ad selling a gun I have and recieved a PM from someone saying they'll take it. I have bought and sold guns locally but never had to ship out of state. So here's my question what steps do I need to take to protect myself and still be fair to the buyer. I do not want to ship the gun without recieving payment but I can understand the buying side and would be nervous to send someone that amount of money. Like I said I am new to this site and have no previous transactions to go off. Any help and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

The buyer sends you full payment and a copy of a dealers FFL. Once his payment clears, you ship it to the dealer at the address on the FFL (ONLY TO THAT ADDRESS) Inclue a copy of your driver's license and instructions as to who the firearm is for. Its as simple as that. Oscar Ray

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Oscar has it right. you control the transaction. the buyer is the one that has to trust

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I list a gun. I now have a buyer. I will add to the thread the gun is sold PF.(PENDING FUNDS). The buyer will send a check. I say bank check. I will take that check to my bank and have the head cashier call the bank on the check to make sure there are funds in the account. Cost for that is nothing. She will OK the check for deposit. I will then take the gun to my FFL dealer and let him do what he needs to do. The gun is then shipped off to the buyers FFL who I also Googled and called to make sure there is such a store or holder. I will call or email the buyer with a tracking number and let him know its on the way. The tracking number will let you know when the three day inspection starts. After the three days he owns the gun. If he calls within the three days and says he's unhappy with something then you have to work that out. That is what I do and thats the rules of doing things. Pack the gun well or have the buyer send a gun case for the gun if that is what he wants to do.

When I buy a gun through the mail I will send MY GUN case for the gun. Why? I had a gun come in with the barrel sticking out of the end of the box. I have heard gunstocks were broken and barrels have gotten bent. I have the Cabela's Bullet Proof gun case. IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY YOU SPEND ON IT. I also use a high grade combo lock. Not the combo lock you had for your school locker. Get a good one. My case paid for its self the first time I used it.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Have the buyer contact a local FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer as stated above, to do a transfer. He then asks for a ink signed copy of the FFL. This copy can also be faxed to you. If going the ink signed copy route, he sends this along with his cashiers check for the amount agreed upon. That FFL copy has the FFL dealers address on it. When you receive the check, do as stated above. Then package the gun well and send to the address on the FFL. This is the law. You can send it through an FFL yourself but it adds extra cost. When the FFL receives your gun, the buyer must fill out a form for a background check, before he can obtain the gun. As stated above, the risk is really with the buyer. If I am buying, I google map the address. Just for peace of mind. Then I send the check, return signed receipt required. I usually ask as nice as possible to package the gun secured, with a double box and padded material around the gun. If it has a case, I would just wrap it in cardboard, and tape it with packaging tape. Especially wrap the corners good with tape. Nice BT-100 by the way. Jon

6. Tyrone Biggums

Tyrone Biggums Member

Thanks all for the good info. Both the buyer and myself are new to this so it should be good advice for both. I just want this to go smoothly I have seen what happens on here when someone gets a bad reputation. I want to be able to buy and sell on here and have people know ill do what I say. Again thanks for the good info.

7. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

If you are shipping from an FFL and the buyer is in California, make sure your FFL is OK with this. Mine is, but some are not. I spoke to UPS about a recent shotgun sale to a CA buyer, and they said I could ship directly through a UPS hub, but would have to ship overnight air, which was very expensive.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ship it thru USPS and insure it ... much cheaper that UPS!

9. Ernroe

Ernroe Member

The advice you have received is accurate and if followed will keep your deal legal. IMO you should not avoid Ca. sales I have completed quite a few gun deals with Ca residents and all have been completed without any problems. Keep in mind that Ca has a large gun owner population. The advice on sending a case to the buyer is an outstanding suggestion and one that I plan to use in the future.

Be good!

Ernie Ashby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.