1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling gun to individuals online?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

My father wants me to sell several of his guns for him. None of these guns are high dollar, just hunting guns that should sell in the $1000 range.

I have bought plenty of guns online from large dealers (Jaquas, Etchen, Cole) but never have bought or sold from an individual online. I know I will ship the gun to a FFL holder but how is payment normally handled? Do they send payment and then I ship the gun or is there a more preferred/typical method?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Buyer sends payment along with a signed copy of the FFL where the gun will be shipped. Seller ships gun to FFL. I wait until the buyer accepts the gun from the FFL holder before cashing the cashiers check.

If the buyer is not satisfied with the gun (i.e. it is not what was represented) the FFL can return it to the seller. Usually the buyer is responsible for the shipping (return shipping too).

Jim Skeel

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Mark,

I've always been fine with a personal check and deposit it when the customer is happy with the gun. If the customer wants to return the gun then all you need to do is send his/her check back once the gun arrives in the same condition it was sent. This has worked fine for 10 years now.

I never list anything with my email address that I post here for sale. This way they have to PM me, or contact me through another poster on this site. I can see what kind of poster they are by what they post. It really goes a long way in setting you mind at ease especially the first couple of time.

Always have great transactions here and is my first place to post gun related items, and also first place I look when wanting something along the same lines.

ss

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

after the amount is agreed upon- buyer sends a money order or certified check, along with an ffl copy--you as the private seller then send the gun along with a copy of your drivers lisc to the ffl reciever--there are some , but few ffls that require it be sent from an ffl as well. i state on the forsale add, i am sending as an individual. you are welcome to use an ffl to ship , but for me that is cumbersome and i get charged a fee from him!--PS: california is somewhat of a mythe, that you cant send there!!------i have found that some ffl recievers there will take in from a private but DO require alot of extra paperwork when it comes from an ffl sender!! your buyer in any case is key to who he contacts as the ffl reciever--wally riebesell

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I'm doing one of these sales right now and I live in Ca. My ffl faxed his number and address to the seller. The seller then includes that fax and a copy of his state ID such as a driver's license along with a description of the firearm. I sent a postal money order (US Post Office) to the seller. he will ship when the MO arrives. I did not have to have the seller ship through his ffl on his end.

That being said, I did have a problem once that a few moments of wisdom could have avoided. I sold a MEC 9000 G to someone on this forum. After we agreed upon a price I shipped the press expecting him to send payment as per our agreement. I never received payment. He claims that he never received the press. He evidently lives in a neighborhood where packages get stolen when left at the door. The PO said it was delivered, he says he never received it. I had the press insured but did not require a signature. That was stupid. Needless to say, I was unable to prove my claim to the USPS. I lost the press and the $40 in shipping.

I have no way to know for sure that the buyer never received the press so I've had to take his word on it. I kick myself for not receiving payment before shipping and for not requiring confirmation of delivery. I should have been smarter. Require payment before shipping, insure for full value and get delivery confirmation. It will not only ensure that you get your money but that the entire transaction runs smoothly and nobody ever has any reason to doubt anyone's word.

R Talley

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Well, that was fast.

Thanks trap shooters,
    Mark

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

sell them on here, when you get a buyer, ask us and you will find a lot out as to sell or not to sell to that person. I doubt you will sell to anyone on here that is not trust worthy but it can happen

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I bought and sold guns and accessories through people I have met here, and it was all pretty straight forward. Do not let your guard down though, over the years there has been a bad transaction once and a while for a few of the others. Good Luck

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If an individual sends a gun to a transferring dealer, and the deal goes south, that dealer cannot return the gun to the seller. The arm must be returned to a dealer who will transfer the arm back to the seller.

This can put the transferring dealer in the middle of a bad deal. A good reason why many dealers will only accept transfers from another dealer.

10. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Make sure to send a copy of your drivers license to the FFL holder.

11. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Just my experience....for what it is worth. I bought a Blaser combo from a gentleman, and I do mean gentleman, off this site. Was not comfortable sending him a check as I didn't know him. Turned out he had a friend within 2 hours of me & he sent it to him & he took the cash, went to the local FFL guy who made the transaction legit & all is good. Thanks to all involved as it turned out real positive. Have had the gun over a month & yet to fire it. If there are any misses in it, Marty, it's your fault! :) Deer season & other priorities. Anyway, if the person is willing to work with you, it's amazing what can be ironed out. Talk to the folks & see what you can arrange.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

By all means get details and expectations of the sale BEFORE the check or gun is sent.

I just had to quash a deal from a fellow that kicked my tires to death and then changed the deal we agreed on. Asked him to not write me again about the gun, then darned if he didn't go to the site I had the gun on and recommended it.

Never a dull moment on the net. LOL

13. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Just my experience but always cash check first and make sure you get money in hand. You can always refund the money via personal check. I would not ship a gun to someone prior to getting paid for it. Just my 2 cents.

14. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I don't understand why a FFL cannot return a gun to the seller. It still belongs to the seller. I can send a gun to Briley and they can return it to me.

Jim Skeel

15. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

That's Right...FFL Dealer has not Transfered Gun to New owner until paper work is done...that's why it's a 3 day NO FIRE Inspection..Buyer passes on deal and pays shipping back to OWNER.

16. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

from my understanding, some dealers will log the gun into their books as soon as they receive it, they won't wait around until you arrive to inspect the gun....some will charge you a administrative fee if you ask the dealer to return it to the seller, even if you didn't complete the paperwork...they have to log it back out of their books. Some dealers don't want to be bothered with this extra task of logging it back out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.