1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SELLING FOR A BUDDY???????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KK, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KK

KK TS Member

Can someone please explain to me why people will not sell their firearms without prefacing the listing by saying they are selling the gun or gun's for a buddy. Have I mis-read the laws? Does absolving yourself of any personal connection with the gun you are selling somehow relieve you of any personal responsibilities in the sale???? The number of guns I see for sale on this site and many others that start with the phrase "SELLING FOR A FRIEND OR SELLING FOR A BUDDY" is way to high to just be explained away as friends helping friends. There must be an underlying reason for the majority of guns being listed that way. If it's a secret and not for publication please e-mail me and let me know. I have been watching this phenomena grow in use over the last few years and the suspense of why is killing me. Thank you. Kirby Kelley

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I just read this for a buddy, Kirby, I'll let you know when I hear . . .

Neil

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've listed a number of items on here for friends that either don't have time to do it, or are computer less-than-literate. When I do this, I'm sure to include "listing for a friend", that way all the correspondence goes directly to them, and I don't receive any emails, PMs, or phone calls regarding the listing that, in reality, I don't want, and I can't answer anyways.

I also do it in the hopes that if there is a problem with the sale somewhere down the line I don't get dragged into it, since the gun (or whatever) is not mine and i have no control over how the transaction goes down.

4. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I just talked with a friend, who wanted me to tell you he doesn't know how to use a computer or how to download pictures. He tried to sell his gun at the local club, but his friends there, wanted a deal. He didn't want to get THAT friendly with those guys. He knows I have lots of friends here and asked me if I'd mind putting his gun on the site and see what happens. ... Sounds just like what it is! ;) I've bought many things from friends friends! :)

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

WE have also bought things the same way!

Our Club has meny members that are less that computer literate, or don't even own one. I or another member will list what the Club is looking for with the phone number of the person in charge of the purchase. Works out well!

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

KK can you explain what difference it makes to you. For whom or what reason someone lists a sale on this site?

I have read the rules here and have yet to see anything that forbids it. I don't see how it concerns you in any way. As far as I am concerned it is none of your business to begin with.

Bob Lawless

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I agree with all, Kirby, let it go and relax. If you want to worry - concentrate on Obama

8. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Yes KK must have His words mixed up, We all know that you can't Buy for a Buddy, because that is considered a STRAW Purchase, but I have never heard of anything wrong with Helping you buddy sell

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

'Cause they are embarrassed that they: (1) Can't make the payments to Hal DuPont Inc. (2) Are embarrassed 'cause they bought the stuff in the first place
    (3) Don't want wife to know. (4) Don't want to answer too many questions about the nice outside condition and loose fit between barrel and receiver. (5) Embarrassed 'cause they can't shoot the expensive gun very well and many others know that. (5) Don't want to fess up that the porting was done in the garage after a six pack. (6) All of the above.

10. racer

racer TS Member

Selling MY gun for a buddy creates a lot of questions too!

11. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I agree with chango2, it's only logical.

12. KK

KK TS Member

FOR BOB LAWLESS! Bob I am only interested because I was-am thinking that I might be missing something when I sell my own guns. The frequency of friends selling for friends seems a little high to be just a bunch of guys helping each other. If this selling through unidentified friends approach somehow acted as a buffer between me and the Feds in case I did something wrong I want to know about it and why I should be using that approach. There is nothing sinister about my questions, they are only a request for an explanation and information on why this is happening so frequently on every web site. It is hard to believe there are that many computer illiterate gun sellers out there now and their numbers seem, at least to me, to be increasing. Kirby

13. KK

KK TS Member

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

KK

"If this selling through unidentified friends approach somehow acted as a buffer between me and the Feds in case I did something wrong I want to know about it and why I should be using that approach."

Does this mean that you are suggesting that if you sell for a friend that you have a legal advantage? Because that is what it reads like. You further say

"There is nothing sinister about my questions, they are only a request for an explanation and information on why this is happening so frequently on every web site."

So you think there is nothing sinister about "The number of guns I see for sale on this site and many others that start with the phrase "SELLING FOR A FRIEND OR SELLING FOR A BUDDY" is way to high to just be explained away as friends helping friends. There must be an underlying reason for the majority of guns being listed that way. If it's a secret and not for publication please e-mail me and let me know. I have been watching this phenomena grow in use over the last few years and the suspense of why is killing me. Thank you."

If you don't see that those statements sound an awful lot like an accusation of something shady or not quite above board. I suggest if you wanted to you could have found a way to make that question sound a lot less like an accusation and a lot more like a question than it does. It sounds more like you are suggesting that the poster is being untruthful about who they are accully selling the gun for.

Bob Lawless

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its done all the time by one person for another with no underlying issues or reasons for it to be less legitimate ...
    I have a friend who has a friend who's brother's sisters girlfriends brother wanted me to post and sell a gun on TS.Com and I told him "no way Jose", because his name was Jose ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. jimx200

jimx200 Member

KK, I lined up a buyer for a hunting buddy who had a Rem Express he wanted to sell. He did not have a digi camera, so I posted for him and listed his email to deal directly with any inquiries. Simple, easy, no conspiracy.

Wait...do those black helicopters fly over your house at night too?

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

There are only 2 members of my club that actually log onto TS.com . So maybe that could account for others on this site also . You see , I have no life and all the time in the world to read all the dribble that most put out every day and maybe thats why people don`t waste their time on here . I for one read most but limit who starts the tread since I can almost know where it`s going to go from there . May not be an answer to the first question but it may be an answer some should see .

18. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Kirby Kelley :

In a day or 2 you will see a thread from me helping a friend to sell this gun below.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/Guns%20for%20SAle/bob%20L/?action=view┬Ąt=895630_alfertrap_02l.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The reason is because he don't post photo's on here plus he works at a job where he is there for a week or two before he gets to come home and he can't log on the trap site from work but he can get email's though.

But when ever I post it then I will give his contact info also.

Foggy

19. gold40

gold40 Member

I have sold several shotguns and handguns for friends, usually on gunbroker.com. I don't even mention the friends in the ad.

1. I do so because they don't have a digital camera or may be light on computer expertise.

2. Since I have previously sold guns on that auction site, and have all A+ ratings from the previous buyers, a new potential buyer is likely to have more confidence the gun will be as described. Many people prefer to deal with sellers that already have good ratings from prior sales.

3. All sales are shipped through another fellow shooter that has an FFL license.

None of this seems to be a big deal to me.

JERRY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.