1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling a gun to California - Need Help with LAWS

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by fssberson, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

0   0   0

California laws are designed to prohibit gun shipments in and out of California. Basically, ONLY an FFL can ship to another FFL in or out of the state. And now we get Gov. Moonbeam again. Move over AZ. here we come. Fred

2. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

You have to be sure that the reciving FFL will accept shipment from a non FFL holder (private party). No law saying gun must come from FFL holder. Marc

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

0   0   0

Is this a hand gun or long gun?

Fred you are wrong. Guns do not have to come from an FFL. They only have to be shipped to an FFL.

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

My personal experience is that it doesn't matter what the laws are, many dealers in CA make up their own rules that are even more restrictive than their wacky legislature has imposed. Never again for me.

Bob

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

0   0   0

bob thats what I found too that is why so many have NO SALES TO CA

6. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

0   0   0

From what I understand from the CA laws on long guns is basically the same as a lot of states from individuals shipping to a FFL. I had one shipped out there and sent it to a FFL holder with ID and that was all that was requested from the FFL. It seems the in state transactions are stricter than out of state from what I read in the regs.

BTW I did read their laws prior to shipping.
    If the FFL holders make up rules outside of legislation maybe they should not be an FFL holder. Things are hard enough on law abiding firearms owners already without additinal restrictions from individuals.

JMO

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Many FFL Dealers will only accept shipments from another FFL for one reason: Legal problems (ownership disput or stolen) place primary responibility on the shipping dealer. My FFL Dealer wants to know he is receiving from a reputable FFL before he will even FAX his FFL to shipping Dealer. This policy, at times, can be infuriating. An ounce (or ton) of prevention----- Marc

8. samer0214

samer0214 TS Member

0   0   0

Steve, you still haven't told us If this is a long gun or a hand gun. The reason I ask, is California only allows certain handguns to be sold in this State. The CA DOJ has a list of approved hand guns for sale, it updates every year and I'm not even talking about banned firearms.

In order to make the list, the manufacturers have to provide x number of every model for testing by the DOJ, and if they pass the test, they make the list. Don't ask me what the testing is all about exactly, but I know that the guns end up getting destroyed and never make it back to the manufacturers. Big expense for small manufacturers. I personally think it's B.S., but that's CA for you. One of the reasons CDNN doesn't sell handguns to CA, is because they don't want the headache of keeping track of what makes the list, or doesn't from year to year. A couple of years ago, I tried buying a handgun from them, and they wouldn't sell it to me because of that reason.

Samer

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

As a dealer, I gladly ship to CA. Just make sure the gun is legal to own where it is shipped.

If a boo-boo happens, the receiving dealer can return it to shipping dealer.

One reason some dealers will not accept transfers from a Private Person is in case the buyer has an issue with the firearm or cannot pass the background check.

The receiving dealer cannot return a firearm to a Private person unless the arm was sent to them for repair.

10. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I live in california, just bought a shotgun from a private party in texas, My FFL guy called the california DOJ contact and was told the private party needs to send the gun to a license FFL dealer in California only, So my FFL guy faxed a copy of his FFL to the seller and the seller boxed the gun and sent it. We poor fools in california have to wait 10 days anyway. This transaction just happended this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.