1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling a gun on this forum?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by acre44, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acre44

acre44 Member

The standard procedure is that the seller pays for the transfer from FFL to FFL. Also, most sellers give a discount (25% +) to fellow members. So what do you have to sell me?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You do not have to go dealer to dealer. A dealer is necessary only on the receiving end.

HM

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

"You do not have to go dealer to dealer. A dealer is necessary only on the receiving end." ---------

that may not be accurate-

some states( or cities)want their dealers to only receive guns from out of state from another dealer

so check the receiving dealers requirements.

regards

Gene

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

The real question here is not HOW you do it , but rather IF you should do it! You better be damn careful or you'll could[AND PROBABLY WILL] get burned!

5. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Its better tobe safe than sorry. When you go FFL to FFL you have a paper trail, and control of the item. Always ask ahead for a FFL before comitting
    your hard earned cash. You can check on the FFL dealers license if its liget.
    The FFL way gives you piece of mind that he transaction is solid.
    Have a nice weekend,go break-em all!! pineapple

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Selling numerous guns on this forum without a personal FFL will eventually invite scrutiny by the ATF. They alone determine what constitutes "trafficing in firearms" and you won't want to get on the "wrong side of the law" on this issue!!

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I have already slapped myself in the face for making such a dumb statement! Please forgive me. I forgot for a split second that everyone on this site can be expected to be honest and straightforward. How could I have been so stupid. I will go to church and pray for forgiveness this Sunday.

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

If you don't do a FFL to FFL transfer then shipping companies like UPS will not insure. Its cleaner and safer to do FFL's on both ends.

TB

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Hipshot 3,
    I think someone with your attitude is probable a little shady thinking. That said, I have bought and sold several thousand dollars on this site to members and have not been burned. RG

10. spritc

spritc Active Member

BATFE requires the sender of a firearm to send it only to a licensed (FFL) dealer. That dealer then has the buyer complete 4473 for proper and legal transfer of the firearm after completing a NICS check of the purchaser. Some states may require an FFL to FFL transfer, but I have not encountered this to date. BATFE is not looking at anyone who follows the law, but they are looking at those who don't. After dozens of firearms transactions on this site, I've yet to be burned by a buyer or seller nor have I heard from the BATFE. Seems like a lot of newbies with misinformation as of late.

Steve

11. oleolliedawg

The FFL to FFL sounds great to those who are attempting to circumvent the law and sell multiple firearms without a license. Unfortunately, when the FFL holder undergoes an inspection, multiple transactions by the same individual are noted and followup investigations are sometimes initiated.

Another surefire way to spend a few years locked up with Bubba!!

12. spritc

spritc Active Member

OleOllie, you are misinformed! You are allowed to sell your personal firearms as long as you stay within the law. Most of us have nothing to hide. How about you?

Steve

13. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I guess that old saying is correct. A little knowledge CAN be dangerous. The only time I know of that a transaction HAS to go FFL to FFL is in the shipping of a HANDGUN thru the USPS. Of course you have to fill out one of their forms at the time of shipment. This is always a treat until you teach them. In the last few years I have run into DEALERS that will not except a firearm for a buyer without receiving an FFL from the sellers end but the FEDS don't have any such rule. Over 200 hundred transaction and have never had anyone show me a STATE law that read "you cannot except a firearm into your store without a copy of an FFL from the sender."

Here is one for all the pros's out there.

May an FFL holder sell any of the firearms in his/her personel collection WITHOUT filling out a 4473 form, and do they still have to run the NICS check?

AJ100

14. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Unless required by state or local law, I don't see what good it does to use an FFL on the seller's end. As far as the seller is concerned, he has already got his money and is satisfied that the form of payment is good, so there is no advantage to him in using an FFL on his end.

As far as the BUYER is concerned, what benefit is he expecting to get from the Seller's FFL? The Seller's FFL has no idea what representations the Seller has made about the gun. For that matter, the Seller's FFL may not know what gun the Seller promised to sell or what price was agree to. If the Buyer thinks that the Seller's FFL is going to be some sort of "middle man" to protect the Buyer's interest in the deal, then the Buyer is living in some dream world. It doesn't work like that.

If the Buyer doesn't trust the Seller to send the gun to him in the condition as represented by the Seller in their correspondence, then the Buyer shouldn't send the Seller any money in the first place. Don't expect the Seller's FFL to protect the interests of the Buyer. Why should he? What's in it for him? If he gives the Seller a hard time about something, the Seller simply walks down the street and finds another FFL to ship the gun for him.

Besides, the Seller's FFL doesn't want to get involved in the middle of a dispute between the Buyer and Seller. All he wants to do is ship the gun to whichever FFL he is instructed to ship it to and collect his small fee. It's not worth it to him to get in the middle of some pissing contest for $25.

Easystreet

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

aj100 as a pro yes i can as long as i keep the gun for awhile, DOJ doesnt say how long but would guess maybe a year? - a non licensee can send a gun but the receiver must be licensed if you insure it, if you dont and it gets lost then you lose - the usps will not ship if you dont have a ffl on file, that is what they told me here - dont know about ups they change things on their own at the place you ship from, hazmat is good example rick

16. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

My personal opinion is that this site is safer than buying a used gun on gunbroker. The community is too small. I wouldn't have any problem buying a gun from one of the regular posters. If I hadn't found my Browning locally, I probably would have bought one here. When I buy my next one (there's always a next one, right?) I'll start my search here.

Shawn

17. oleolliedawg

Kolardude, tell that to the guy who thought it was great fun to buy and sell collectable Smith&Wessons and run transfers through my license. Unfortunately, one of them turned up as stolen triggering an ATF investigation. He received a visit and an advisement to cease and desist!

Haven't seen him since!!

18. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

ricks1, You are correct on your guess. The ATF regs state 1 year. Page 182(E8)

As for shipping a HANDGUN thru the USPS, well, you are one for two.
    The HANDGUN transaction MUST go FFL to FFL. Page 183 (F14) BTW, I NEVER had to show the nice ladies at the post office the FFL of the person on the receiving end. When I asked them "Don't you need a copy of the FFL from the guy I'm shipping to?" They looked at me as if I was from Pluto. I had his copy in my pocket. They just blinked at me and mumbled something about hating the paperwork they had to do when someone shipped a firearm. I have my own supply of forms at home now to give them when I ship.

They are still better than UPS. Stands for...You People Suck

What about the NICS check on the personal collection firearm?

One out of two guesses isn't too bad.

AJ100

19. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

Personally, I like to go FFL to FFL. The nearest UPS or FED EX place would give me a ride almost two hours long. As far as USPS, they have hassled me beyond belief. So, I take it to my dealer, he boxes it, and ships it. No hassles. Thats just my way. Easiest for me. In fact, last time I sold a gun, it was harder for me to cash the bank check than do the shipping. My bank treats them like personal checks now, with a waiting period. Steve

20. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys:

I bought a Perazzi off of this forum in July. I chose to have a FFL to FFL transfer for one major reason. I wanted insurance for shipment via UPS and knew if it was NOT a FFL to FFL transfer and they lost it they would not pay. Also its a cleaner deal for both parties involved.

TB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.