1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Self Defense, what type of magazine?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure i follow your question. Even the larger caliber hanguns have at least 7-10 rounds. My Glock Model 22 in .40S&W holds 15. That would be good for 3 shots each for these thugs.

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

You may want to start here and then get personal training.

The book... In the Gravest Extreme Massad Ayoob 1980

The above link may get you started as to what I'm talking about.

As I read what little info above. 8 on 5 with 1 having a gun. The gunman had everyone covered at once? 8 people going to 1 car? 3am?

Just some questions raised as to why they were in that situation?

A lot of people walk through life in condition white. Meaning they are oblivious to their surroundings. You ever hear someone say at an accident that they, "Just didn't see them"? This is what I'm talking about. if it doesn't feel right, get out of there.
    More people need to learn SA with the whackos now saying they want to attack "soft targets". Malls, restaurants, etc....

Good luck and sty safe.

Jerbear

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A LARGE mag!

Don't know what that part of town is like, but at 3:00 am, the vermin are out.

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

And I got chastised here, for carrying a spare magazine, along with OC spray.

Go figure...

Jerbear

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's obvious the thugs are simply going to increase their numbers for altercations, using as much force as possible to overcome their victims. This is why potential victims should be able to match that force.

A large magazine would definitely be a help, and shows clearly why they should not be restricted.

But in this case, assuming local or state laws banned a large magazine, what would you do?

Either be adept at mag changes, or pull a backup gun. Or take out the guy with the gun and then whomever is closest to you, and see what develops from there. My guess is most won't have the stomach to stick around. You could also pack something that punches through more than one assailant, at the risk of any innocent bystanders down range.

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Brian, you're absolutely right. Match force with force. The days of carrying a .380 are over, IMHO.... Maybe as a bug, but as Shooting Coach have said in the past.

Nothing you can read will get you ready without hands on training. An adrenalin dump is something you need to experience, then try an hit your target. People that have never gone through it will be hard pressed to shoot, much less hit their target, then still be engaged to see what's around them. That's why they tell you to sweep left to right with your head. Pivot your head because tunnel vision will set in.

I'm no expert by any stretch, I'm just say what I have been taught.

The best way to win a gun fight is to not get in one. If you do... Fight to win, not just to survive.

Jerbear

7. Brian in Oregon

That's one reason why CHL carriers get into fewer altercations percentagewise than the unarmed public. Situational awareness. CHL holders do not want to be forced into a position of having to shoot someone, so we're more aware of our surroundings, etc.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I typically carry a Glock 23, 40 cal, with 14 rounds on board.

Personally, I am NOT going to be out at 3 AM unless I am stranded on the road. I have AAA, a cell phone and a credit card.

I also have unarmed battle skills, which is more appropriate in 95% of confrontations. Displaying or using Lethal Force to manage a confrontation is seldom appropriate.

Situational awareness is the key, that is, not letting the goblins get on top of you before you notice things are not going right.

Training is the key. Failure to train is training to fail. I am not paranoid, just realistic.

If I appear to be a soft, easy target in a location where help or other folks are not around, I will be attacked. Period. I have trained for years to not be or project the image of a soft target. Non verbal cues and body language are very important to learn to both read and use. The bad guy is usually VERY GOOD at reading these cues. Often, if a thug attacks a superior adversary, cues are misleading or miss understood.

The site listed above is not a tell all, but is a good start to get the Private Citizen an idea of how to improve their odds when at home or in public. Getting impaired with alcohol in public, then being out late at night is a recipe for disaster. Drink in public if you want, but plan ahead. Have a designated driver AND designated protector/shooter!

Executives may want to take a course in awareness of domestic and imported terrorism.

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Yeah Coach, my wife finally got it. When I enter a building, I look for all the exits, and in a restaurant, I sit facing the door and am always armed.

If the SHF, and able to, I and my family are out of there. No need to be a hero.

Just sayin..

As you said, not paranoid, just prepared.

Jerbear

10. Brian in Oregon

It's no different than being fully cognizant of what's going on around you in traffic. I'm always looking for escape routes if possible in case someone is going to slam into me. Sometimes non exist but sometimes they do. Put this to good use more than once in three and a half decades of driving.

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

That's why at a stop light, you leave a car length in front of you for a get away. You just never know anymore.

Also keep your car key separate from the others. In the event of a car jacking, they only get the car and not the rest of your house, or office keys.

Jerbear

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's not about how many bullets you have in your magazine. It's about how accurate and quickly you are with each bullet you have.

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

PMAG. ; )

14. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Coach, the perps would have been going down! No loss.

Jerbear, same thing.

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Jerbear , If I had your address would I really need the house key?

16. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Jerry, around here, they jack the car for parts. With most new cars having some sort of tracking, like On Star, the vehicle sits and cools off before it gets chopped.

Jerbear

17. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I don't think anyone who is proficient enough to successfully defend themselves would be asking this question. If you are asking, you obviously have no idea of your skill level, and need to spend some time training. This ain't like trapshooting where some use more shot or a release trigger to get more breaks......this is serious shit......and thinking about how many rounds you need per number of thugs is bull shit.

Having said that.....I'll take 6 45 ACPs over 20 380's any day and feel sufficiently equipped anywhere.

If you need more than 6 bullets to quell any social disagreement......you had better be able to call in an air strike, or artillery.

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

It all depends where I'm going--my normal car gun is a Taurus Judge, my normal ccw is a S&W air weight--if I was going thru an urban ghetto where there are numerous gang bangers-my FN-57with a 30 rd mag---but I would never intentionally drive thru an urban ghetto---it happened to me once when my GPS directed me thru a war zone.

Phil Berkowitz

19. philk

philk Member

Time for a belt fed ?

20. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Let's see, if I were to double tap each perp, listed in the opening post, how many cartridges would I need? Would I have an empty pistola at that point.

See the problem, yet?

More is always better than not enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.