1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Select Energy trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ZTWITHE, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

I shot a 30" Winchester select energy trap tonight that a guy is looking to sell and I like it a lot. Smoked 23/25 from the 20 yd line and the 2 I missed I know why I missed them. Better than I have been doing with my everyday gun. My question is a)- What are these guns worth in good used condition? and b)- Are these pretty good quality guns, I haven't seen many around? Any downfalls or weak parts on them? I'm sure some people on here own them and any info would help. Thanks in advance, Zach Witherell

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's a very good gun. It's been around for a long time, but has been
    discontinued and a flood of them were unloaded on dealers. 30" barrel and
    no adjustable comb, you should pay $900.

3. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

Well I should have been more descriptive, it has an adjustable comb and a gracoil reducer on it also.

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

I had the same exact gun that is in the picture. Mine didn't like the steel based shells. The forearm kept getting loose so I had to watch for it. Finally the forearm split. I asked Browning for another one and they sent me a field style with a schnabbel forend, they said the trap style was discontinued, it fit okay but didn't look or feel like I was used to, so I traded it in.

I really liked it at first, but after about a year, when the forearm split, I was looking to dump it.

Wayne

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

They are great guns for the money. CDNN blew them out a while back for a little over a grand, new. $700-$800 sounds about right for a good, lightly used one. I have seen SCTP kids pick these up and shoot their lifetime best on the first round.

If the gun fits, that means a lot.

I have heard they like to crack forends, but have not seen this. Keeping screws tight will help. Leaving the Super Sport and Nitro loads alone will help as well.

6. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I have Had (5) of these Great guns. The MOST important thing is to Remove the Forearm screws and Blue locktite them. NO problems after that!!!!!!! joe90t

7. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

Ok guys thanks for the help. I'm gonna shoot 100 ata birds with it tomorrow just to make sure the good shooting wasn't new gun syndrome. I think I'll offer him $800 for it and see where it goes.

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I love mine. I have had absolutely no problems with the gun. I added a Graco adjustable butt pad and had Tom Larson put an adjustable comb on it. Love the wide rib. I think $800 is a lowball bid for the one you are looking at. Just my opinion. Jack

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Jack

Considering the vultures circling this forum, $800 is a gift. LOL

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

There was a new one on here a few months ago and it sold for $900. I think thats a good buy. I dont think the Gracoil adds anything and would stop me and maybe others from buying it. Good guns at any rate & as Joe said loctite the screws and go shooting

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

fishguts - how do you send a Winchester back to Browning for warranty??

12. greengael

greengael Member

This is a Belgian made FN shotgun, there is an ownership connection with Browning, iirc?

13. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Winchester is owned by Browning. All of their service is done out of Arnold mo.

14. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Back in early March, I bought a NIB Select Energy sporting and it had a ejector problem on the 5th shot.

I heard nothing but bad things about Browning's service department, but I sent it to them in Arnold, Mo anyways. From the time I shipped it to them till I got it back was exactly 4 weeks. Not as bad as everybody said. Gun is fixed and shoots great.

Time will tell if it holds up to the test of time. I got my fingers crossed it will.

I also love the wide rib and right hand palm swell.

Dwayne

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Cubancigar, not a Gracoil, a Graco adjustable buttplate. Big difference. Jack

16. fishguts

fishguts Member

Yes, the wide rib is really a nice feature....hope your's performs better than mine.

Wayne

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Listen, Zach:

If you love the gun and it's dirt cheap, buy it if that's all you can afford.

But don't let anybody convince you that its quality, reliability or value retention is on par with a Browning. It certainly is not. SEs are notorious for cracked forends, failures to fire and other problems typical of disposable economy shotguns.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester select energy trap