1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seitz barrels? Seitz information?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rbmtrap, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

How did Tom Seitz, in his role as master gunsmith as opposed to gun maker, mark the barrels he worked on? Is there a definative way to determine if Tom Seitz worked on a barrel?

While its pretty clear how his career would up, with a wonderful gun and company that bear his name, can anyone shed light on his earlier gunsmithing career/efforts?

Thanks!

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Most are stamped "C.C.Seitz."

Neil

3. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

Always? What about his earlier years? Did he never work for/with someone else?

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

While those in the trapshooting community remember Tom for his work on shotgun barrels and the limited number of Seitz shotguns that he built by hand he actually rose to fame initially for building fine rifles. After his untimely death from CO2 poisoning a couple of fellows approached his widow and received her permission to copy his "Seitz" gun. The "Silver Seitz" was born with several significant improvements including the "take-down" feature.

5. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

RickN How do know that Tom Seitz did the work? Was it marked in any way?

Any info on him when he performed the work?

6. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

rick979 So where was Tom working when he was building rifles?

Thanks

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

RBMTRAP: Tom lived in the country and had a nice shop on the property. He built both the rifles and the Seitz gun in that shop. If he worked for someone else before becoming a famous "barrelsmith"/gunsmith I have no idea. When I visited him he was working at home in his shop. This was in the 80's.

8. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Tom did four 1100 barrels for me. Only one was marked. Tom did two Perazzi barrels for me one was marked the other one wasn't done at the time of Toms death and not marked.

I talked to Tom many times and I am thinking he did the rifle thing before doing shot guns. Tom was going to build me a 870 slug barrel when he got back from his hunting trip of course that never happened.

9. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

Thanks All!

10. ML

ML Member

I have a BT-99 that Tom choked and ported. The barrel is not marked but I have a letter from him. My ex won the ladies class at the Oklahoma State shoot one year with it. It will smoke targets.

ML

11. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Tom did his backbore/choke "package" on my TM-1 in the mid-eighties and stamped it "C.C. Seitz". Bore is 0.740"/0.708", has his drilled ports and he also adjusted the POI to 80/20. Good work, good even pattern by visual check on paper only, too bad about his misfortune.

Larry

12. Mike

Mike Member

rick979, CO or CO2 poisoning? Mik

13. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Mik: Whichever symbol designates carbon monoxide poisoning. It has been 50 years since I took chemistry so I do not know which one of the abbreviations is correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gunsmith tom seitz

tom seitz barrel porting

tom seitz trapshooting

what happen to tom sietz