1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seitz, Alfermann, Ljutic closing the action ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I personally start the closing by depressing the button, the trigger gaurd, and then let it snap into place, by all means do not slam a gun shut if you want it to stay tight.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I close my Ljutic firmly (I don't slam it shut)and do not hold the button while I'm doing it. been doing it that way for 27 years and the gun is the same as when I started...I was watching a British drama the other night and some doofus was shooting clays with a very nice SxS "best quality" gun and was slamming it shut like he wanted to break it in half...made me cringe...

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I try to close all my guns with enough pressure to close them, but not more than that. I don't know about the others, but a Ljutic will close very easily. There is no need to push the button as you close it.

4. missed some

missed some TS Member

i just roll her closed, not slam.

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I agree with all that said to close it firmly but not to slam. I asked Al Ljutic this same question in the mid 70's. His answer was the same as I stated above. I figure he knows his guns better than anyone.

Why no lube on the sliding locking lug? I grease my Mono Gun regularly and it never opens on it's own. I also grease the barrel locking knotch and cam area that pushes the locking lug back. Very little wear after 36yrs.

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have an early Mono and I have to hold th button when I close it .

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I think it is mistake to hold back the locking lug when the gun is closed. The gun will lock up tighter when the locking lug is allowed to move forward under spring pressure. A tighter lock up means less wear on the gun.

I agree with luvtrapguns, all the moving parts need lubricant. A gun that opens when shot has mechancial problems.

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I also agree with lube on the lock lug of the Ljutic. I put a thin film of grease on mine and it works fine. Of course mine is brand new according to Ljutic standards. I only have about 8K rounds through it.

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I too have an older Mono, sn. 12x and it closes easily and tight without slamming. For lubrication, I use the Remington dry Teflon spray and it seems to work OK. Larry Evans

10. Gil

Gil Member

When my Mono gun was new I held the opening button when closing the gun until I that shot 5000 rounds through it. Then it opened without much fuss. For my Bi gun it took about 10,000 rounds. All the while, Al was firm, not to hold the opening button when closing the gun. Since, not problem. George Miller

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean User 1. How do you open your gun?

I don't jerk the gun open or closed. I use just enough pressure for both. I'm not sure how I would open my gun if I didn't use the forearm. It doesn't just fall open when I press the button.

12. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

When I first got my Mono Gun back from a complete overhaul I greased the locking lug slide groves in the receiver with STOS. I have used STOS nearly 40 years with what I thought were good results. A friend suggested I try "SUPER LUBE" which is a synthetic grease infused with Teflon powder. I removed all the STOS and relubed with Super Lube. EVERYTHING worked noticeably smoother. Goodby STOS. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alfermann vs ljutic