1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seems to be a dislike for the older shooter!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Lately it seems that there are some younger shooters on this site that do not like older shooters. I have seen thread comments calling the older shooters geezers, and commenting that they complain and bitch about anything and everything. I don't know what age some of the younger shooters consider a shooter to be and old geezer, but it seems to show a lack of respect.

Go to any shoot across our country and the majority of shooters have gray hair. Does this make a person a so called "old Geezer". I might remind the younger generation that the shooting sports owe a debt of gratitude to these older shooters. Without their continued support our sport may not have flourished like it once did.
    There seems to be animosity between the young and old on this site and I would like to know why?
    Steve Balistreri

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think the term was being used to describe a select few who are not good for the sport. The ones who run younger shooters off. For what's its worth, i respect and generally like all you old farts. LOL We must respect our elders.

I meant no disrespect and wouldn't call anyone here a "Geezer". Well i haven't yet anyway. :)

Matt

3. plinker611

plinker611 Member

because the older shooters whip our butts(school us) too mutch out on the trap fields,i as a younger shooter(49) am greatful for the older shooters who showed me what to do,and to this day i try to pass it along to the new/younger than i shooters,mark

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Being old is being a senior citizen.

To me a geezer is someone old who acts badly despite supposedly being more mature, and who seems to not like youth, complains about anything and everyone, acts like a kook, etc.

In fact....<br>
    <br>
    geeĀ·zer Pronunciation (gzr)<br>
    n. Slang<br>
    An old person, especially an eccentric old man.<br>
    [Probably alteration of dialectal guiser, masquerader, from Middle English gysar, from gysen, to dress, from gyse, guise, fashion; see guise.]<br>
    <br>
    Word History: A relationship with a word we know well is disguised in the word geezer. A clue to this relationship is found in British dialect. The English Dialect Dictionary defines geezer as "a queer character, a strangely-acting person," and refers the reader to guiser, "a mummer, masquerader." The citations for guiser refer to practices such as the following: "People, usually children ... go about on Christmas Eve, singing, wearing masks, or otherwise disguised," the last word of this passage being the one to which geezer is related.<br>
    <br>

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

It is nice to hear.
    Steve

6. BrowningGuy

BrowningGuy Member

Just almost 40, but I really enjoy talking with my elders, listening, learning, laughing, and just being with them, but to many are leaving us to soon. Tony

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Well, I hit 64 today, so I guess I am an "old geezer" and that is fine with me. At least your not talking about me as in the past tense. I'll take the stiff joints even if they aren't the right ones to be stiff, the joint pain and all of the rest of the problems we "old geezers" get as long as I get up and look at thr grass(or snow) and not the roots. If they are referring to us as "old geezers" let's just pretend it is a sign of admiration of our knowledge and not be so sensitive. Happy to shoot with young or old, fast or slow, just so i get to shoot. Bulge.

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

dont like um now I are one the yungs dont like you cause it takes 4 min between shots. you have to look for the shells and not sure if the gun is the same as last week. you pull in lot and dont park just sit there and look around . you get out and then get back in and move car 2ft. takes you 45 min to get your shit out and then have to go pee for another 20 min.

any thing else????

9. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

i do believe,the vetern class, is made up of what, ole geezers, and ,looking at the scores, some of the ole geezers, do a pretty good job of just plain kickin ass...

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I don't mind the term at all. I'm 63 and some of the guys I shoot with are in their 80's. When I shoot with them I feel like a younster still wet behind the ears. I have more in common with them than the young ones I guess.. I enjoy the youngfellows and the old timers. I'm in the middle I'm a geezer.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Barrelbulge: Well SONNY boy (chuckle) I'm 69 will be 70 in a couple months, I kinda enjoy the younger ones that frequent the club I belong to, there is a group of us mature (not old) retired guys that get together once or twice in a while to scare the britches off them orange things & solve ALL the worlds problems in a couple hours. Then home for a nap,hehehe If it weren't for us geezers some clubs would be in a lot of trouble because it takes a lot of help (volunteer) to keep everything running & still keep costs within reason, and a lot of the younger ones are still raising families, they just don't have the free time that us geezers have. Granted we can't lift & carry things as in yesteryear so some things must be hired out, most of the younger ones around seem grateful that we can do as much as we do and thank us for it also. Ross Puls

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I enjoy shooting with the older shooters today as much as I did 25+ years ago. Can't really say the clubs I frequent there are any of the so called "Geezer types". I enjoy seeing them (older shooters) come out to shoot because I hope if I live that long (probably won't) that I have that desire to keep shooting. People are people and they (we) all have different personalities. Just have to deal with it and overlook it at the same time.

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Well I will be 60 in a few months, been shooting for 25 plus years. All the old timers are gone at my club And I miss them! You young guys should get to know them and enjoy em before it's to late. Bill

14. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Some of my favorite people in the world are some of the older guys at the club..
    on the other hand.. there are some older guys there that I wouldnt piss on if they were to burst into flames..

15. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

I am on the cusp of geezer(52) status, and when i was a pup the oldtimers made me feel welcome,and helped me alot. I hope i can still shoot well in my 60's or 70's. I am now the coach of our youth team,so i'm paying back. I dont think the kids think i'm a geezer( i hope).Perry

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Gettin old is for the brave and is like...well, getting old.

David

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you ain't acting like a geezer then you ain't a geezer. You're just an honored senior citizen.

18. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I like to shoot with people of all ages.

It seems like the majority of trap shooters are older than me, and thats fine. I like to learn from their experience, and personally, I would rather shoot on a squad with 4 'geezers' than with 4 rookies anyday.

I also like to see the young kids coming to shoot with their Dad, or with Grandpa.

The older folks are those who have given us the sport, and the young kids are those who will keep it going for many years to come.

19. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hey Bulge: Happy Birthday!!!! you old geezer. Dave T. (44)

20. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

"Old Geezer" yup, sure as hell thats me and I am Damned proud of it too, I have been places and done thing that those young fellas just dream about, I have fought in a couple wars and had men die in my arms, I have also caused the demise of some of the opposing troops I started shooting trap just a couple years ago and I will challenge any young dude to a match, if he beats me he ain't gettin any cherry , I have been there and done that and am looking forward to the next round, so if they call me a geezer, I just say , yup right but I have seen more than you and done more than you and have been places you will never go. Geezer............... yup and really experienced one too.
    Woody Sullivan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.