1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking the best all around shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capulona, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capulona

capulona TS Member

I'm sure it has been discussed here, but I'd appreciate a fresh round of opinions:

- I break clay(not so good, I must confess)with a BT-99/32" in northern NJ(NJ Clay Target in Fairfield) with a Slick Slide from Carey Barron - excellent job btw, and very happy with it

- I have an old Valmet Lion model O/U 26" for upland Pheasant/Quail

- Shoot a Browning Gold Fusion 30" for waterfowl

- Keep an 870 tactical 18" with an ATI stock and strobe light/laser sighting for home defense

In your personal opinion - is there a magical all-around 12 gauge that can possibly perform all these duties(sort of Jack of all trades, master of none function) reasonably well, and what would it be?

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

870 or M-12 Regards, Ed

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

+1 for Old Goat's answer!

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Remington 1187 with different barrels/stocks. JM

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

870 or Beretta 390, either one.

Preference is Ithaca M37, but can't hit a thing with them, just like the design!

Hard to beat the ole Browning A5's but they are heavy.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

M-12 says it all !

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

8. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I use my old field grade Win 101 for everything from squirrel to waterfowl and trap. I broke my first 25 with it last spring. My dad used it to goose hunt for many years. It has 28" mod bbls. With fixed choke. I wouldn't trade it for any new gun. I would like to get a gun with choke tubes, but don't really need it.

9. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Sir

The Remington Mdl.1100 "gas,semi-auto"--->barrels available from -18" riot-,to a -34" trap/duck/goose-(all under 350.00)<-pull,and release triggers available(under 300.00)---plastic stocks for extreme weather---high grade walnut for show and tell-----------

More availabe "aftermarket"items for the 1100 than any other shotgun on the market--------and you dont have to get a loan on the farm to buy it

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Mag 10, if a little is good a lot has to be better

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sure there are a bunch of shotguns that can do it all - examples include the 870, the M12 , 1100/1187 Reminton, 390/391 Berettta and many others ....... But why?

Part of the fun of the shooting sports is buying/collecting new guns. You mentioned 4 or so decent shotguns for the various applications well some of us have a half dozen or more for each application - just part of the fun.

Now lets not have any more of this depressing talk about having just one shotgun, okay?

12. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

WHY?????

13. drh08

drh08 TS Member

A shotgun is a tool, you need the correct tool for the job. You can get by with a vise grip to repair almost anything but we don't. Please stop this thread before anyone thinks differently and we come home to a gun vault sale happening in the garage.

Shoot well, shoot often and with as many guns as you can.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wolfram, I believe I can answer that.

I'm not good enough with shotguns to be switching types. That's why I came to the conclusion long ago that the best shotguns for clays and hunting would have to be of the same make and model.

As it turned out, the 870 I had been using fit me well, but I didn't care for the recoil. After trying the 303 Beretta and others, I found the 1100/1187 had the most recoil reduction, plus fit me the best. And was easy to transition into because it's the same profile as the 870.

Going a step further, once I had an 1187 set up properly for trap with a raised comb, I installed monte carlo stocks on all of my field 1187s as well, keeping the POI the same.

I have some other shotguns, like an old side by side for cowboy shoots, and a Browning Model 12 in 20ga I picked up before settling on the 1187. And an old Mossberg 590 defense shotgun that's used more like a rifle. But the bulk of my shotguns are 1187s and an 1100.

15. FIB

FIB Member

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Question requires a far too subjective answer.

Curt

17. capulona

capulona TS Member

Thanks for your thoughts !

@ Wolfram : LOL !!! you win the best response on this thread!
    "Now lets not have any more of this depressing talk about having just one shotgun, okay?"

18. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

No, there is not a "magical" (your words) all around 12-ga that can do all the things you prescribe. Everyone of us, and our fathers, and our grandfathers, has wished for such a gun for decades. We often try to convince ourselves that we have it, but we don't........

It is like saying, "Is there one hammer that will be good at furniture making and driving railroad spikes?"

If I wanted a "meat/survival/home defense" gun, it would be the 870.

If I wanted a gun to get banged around in upland hunting and occasional clay targets, it would be a Citori or maybe a 390/391 Beretta.

If I wanted a waterfowl gun and occasional upland gun, with very limited clay shooting, it would be a Beretta X-tremea (or however the heck you spell it.)

Keep searching. Maybe you will discover "Jason's Golden Fleece". Something new is always being marketed.

Mike Durhan

19. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The answer is a Automatic I have both Remington and Beretta and would prefer the Beretta if I could only have one gun for everything just need some different barrels. TheBeretta is the most popular gun for sporting clays and lots of trap shooters use them also.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That would be the one that you hit everything you shoot at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best allround trap guns