1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking Camper Advice from ts.com experts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jrdlanes, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

OK all you RV experts I need your assistance/guidance. My wife & I are about to jump into the camping world and think we have narrowed it down to 2 used TTs. 1 is a Trail-Bay & the other an Ameri-Camp. Both are 31' and frt bdrm/rr lr.

What can you tell me about the reputations of each manufacturer? fyi there is a substantial difference in price between the 2. We know the AC owners very well. The AC has not been pulled a great deal. Primarily a local area user. The TB was delivered when one yr old & has not turned a wheel since. It has been used on weekends but not towed. Both are in excellent condition w/ regular upkeep/winterized etc.

I know I have seen ts.comers refer to a discussion/comparison web site for RVs but I could not find the ts.com threads when I did a search.

Enlighten me please. John in Iowa

2. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

John,

Welcome to your new adventure.

I am assuming that the trailers you are looking at have a slide out.
    If they do not, you will soon be dissatisfied if you spend much time in them.

I am not familiar with the trailers you have mentioned.

you need to crawl underneath the trailers and check out the frames and eyeball the construction.

The appliances are generic so they are generally the same from trailer to trailer.

Choose the floor plan that suits you and look at the fit and finish of the interior.

If the trailer is five years old, you should replace the tires even if it hasn't been pulled and they look good.
    Have the tires been covered when out in the open?

I would look at a lot more than two trailers before making your choice, if you haven't done so.

I would also advise joining the "Good Sam" group as they offer a lot of services.
    Make your first outing close to home so you can get familiar with its care and operation close to home.

Learning how to lower and raise the awning with your wife is always a challenging event.

The other challenge is finding the "perfect site" according to your wife, this will require making several trips around the campground .

This adventure you are embarking on will be rewarding and will also test your relationship as nothing else will.

Welcome to our world.

ed.

3. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

If you are the kind that likes to drive long distances and stop at rest stops for lunch, be sure you can get into the refrig without putting out the slides.

4. tdaws1032

tdaws1032 TS Member

Hill Topper, you are sure an experienced camper with a wife. Have you watched my wife and I work the awning? lol. Every weekend I have to re-teach how it works and yes we circle the campground at least 3 times before I hear the "well, I guess this one will work"

jrdlanes, welcome to the camping world. It will be the best investment you ever make.

5. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Water damage can be a PAIN!!! Make sure windows are caulked. Here is my 1995. The crazy thing there was NO smell!! Wood and subfloor shot!!

All photos are here http://picasaweb.google.com/MyNo9to5/WaterDamage#

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

When we first started out we got a lot of good information from the rv net forum, link is above.

Two key areas that are very expensive to fix are the refigerator and air conditioner, make sure they work. The fridge should work on 110 shore power and gas, check both for proper operation.

You will find that owning a RV is like owning another home, both the good things and the bad things.

7. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

Good thoughts all. Thank you very much. Still watching so additional thoughts are welcome.

Ed - We've had that test years ago when we attempted to assemble a waterbed together. For the preservation of our marriage we decided it was a 1 person task unless the other's assistance was requested. Must have worked as we will celebrate 26 yrs of marriage next week. I may go to the Heartland Grand for the day while she goes to work. Romantic, huh? LOL John in Iowa

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I downsized just because 30+ feet of trailer is tiring to go long distances...I went down to a light 25 and its mush more pleasurable to pull and the mileage gained from trimming the load made it possible to take the camper more and to go further with it, not to mention its a lot more maneuverable in some of the real primitive camping areas that I prefer to get away from crowds and such

9. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Trail-Bay is one of the brands made by Monaco RV,LLC. They make some high end units. http://www.trail-lite.com/about-r-vision.asp

In 2003 and 2004, in its first two years of business, Ameri-Camp was given the National Recreational Vehicle Dealer Association’s Quality Circle of Excellence award. This award is given to the manufacturer that produces the highest satisfaction to the customer in quality, service, sales, and partnering, therefore the best possible experience for the dealers and their customers. At Ameri-Camp the saying goes “We are here to build a family of satisfied dealers and product owners; our mission is your having a quality experience with Ameri-Camp. At Ameri-Camp our reputation is building.”

Hope this helps.

Ken Cerney
    Wisconsin

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

nake sure that you can get into the bed without moving a slideout. some of the beds go side to side and some from the back to the front. if it goes sideways and has a slide out it looks good at the dealer but when traveling you would have to put the slide out to get into the bed. do not get a sink in the bedroom that should be in the bathroom. it's a pain. check the water pump for pressure. pressurize the wate lines and make sure that they are all tight and not leaks. turn the water pump on and let it sit with pressure against it. make sure that it does not pump on and off because this could mean a leak. Check the battery as they usually go bad also. Make sure the refrig works and leave it on for a day or two. I just bought an rv and the refrig worked for two hours and quit.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Wife and I recently purchased a new tt last month. You have been given great advice...our trailer is our third, and the third Bigfoot brand, which features awesome quality at a premium price...that's the downside. However, we bought new old stock to save a few bucks...I have found the learning curve re. using/owning an RV of any kind is steep. Not to worry, you had great advice so far. I also am always learning stuff...like I just purchsed a big surge protector for around 100 bucks to use when plugging into shore power at RV parks. Our new trailer has lots of circuit boards therein...reefer, hot water heater, dvd/tv, battery disconnect, and who knows what else. Circuit boards are expensive...

Oh, we kept getting different BF trailers 'cause of that dreaded disease of "footitis" and not due to any defects in our trailers.

You may also want to consider some brands that have aluminium framing vs. stick and tin...but I think the two you have leads on are likely to be high quality from what you have said. Watch the terribly low priced stick and tin trailers; you gets whatcha pay for!!! Some stick and tin RV's are pure junk that is rotting from the moment the trailer/RV rolls off the assembly line.

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

The best advice I can come up with is to make sure your bedroom bed is small enough that you can still walk around it to get dressed. My camper has the king sized bed and it takes up too much room to suit me. The next thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the amount of air conditioners btu to cool the place down. I know that this past summer wasn't really hot like other summers have been. Three years ago at the grand my airconditioner never shut off. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the queen sized bed and two air's to cool off with. The twin airs is why most of the really modern camping sites have the 50 amp service. Joining the Good Sams club will get you into a lot of discounts at camping places. Have fun with it and it will take a few outings to learn all the things you need to know. Buy a couple of hose "Y's" for the water and get a reducer plug from your 50 amp to 30 amp plug in. Take a 50 foot hose at least for your water and another 25 is not out of the question to have handy. An outdoor carpet remenant for the table and chairs under the awning is nice. Also some runners if the campsite is muddy and you don't like to track in the mud. Get the foldable waste water support for your waste water line. I take several plank pieces to put under my jack bottoms so they don't sink in the ground. Use the little wheel chocks that are plastic. There are a lot of things that experience will teach you. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.