1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking BT-99 Action Advice from Experts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

All,
    Bought a '79 BT-99 recently and got to shoot it once so far - really like it. Got a question concerning the action. The gun opens and closes smoothly, but when closing, just when it gets close to being closed it gets significantly tougher to move. I think it has something to do with releasing the locking lever, not sure. Anyhow, I was in a gun store today and tried out a few other similar vintage BT-99's. The actions on those guns closed smooth and easy ... all the way to the end (fully closed). Was very nice to feel ... compared to my gun. Anyone know what is plauging my gun ... and how I should go about getting it resolved. Oh, and another bummer about my "new to me" gun. Tried to unscrew the stock bolt (using long screwdriver) - no dice. It wasnt going to budge. Not sure what to try next ???
    Thanks, Brian

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Brian:
    Make sure your firing pin is retracting back into
    the breach face. You could have a broken firing pin
    spring or it could be sticking in the firing pin hole. On the
    stock bolt, get a large long square screw driver.
    Put a adjustable wrench on the screwdriver and use it
    to turn the screwdriver.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Screw holding the ejector in place is walking out slightly. Tighten it with a VERY thin bladed screwdriver!!

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Also wrap the end of the screw driver with tape so it just fits in the stock hole. This will keep it centered in the screw slot. HMB

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Listen to what HMB said about the stock bolt. It is not that hard to bust out the side of your stock with a regular screwdriver. They make a tool just for those stock bolts to prevent this. Just a warning. I've witnessed the can happen end of it. Sick feeling and it wasn't me or my gun. For what its worth i warned him too. LOL

Matt

6. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Guys, Thanks for the tips - much appreciated. I will use caution with the screwdriver !! There is a point when the action is almost closed ... that the locking lever (upper tang, whatever its called) snaps into its shut position. This is the point at which my guns action gets noticeably harder to close.
    Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.