1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking Advice: Gun Safe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skydweller97, Aug 16, 2013.

1. skydweller97

skydweller97 Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Looking for suggestions on gun safe and anchoring methods. I've never owned one before. I will have to keep it in the garage, no room in the house. I don't have a huge collection, just a couple of K80 tube sets in Americases, and 4-5 other long guns. My two handguns are in a Gunvault for ready access. Even though I don't have a lot of guns I think I want to get a fairly large safe so I can keep a lot of ammo in it, and would rather have room to grow than the other way around. I'm thinking I will want a traditional combination lock rather than electronics but would be willing to consider pros and cons.

As far as how to anchor -- I know I don't want to just use bolts in anchors. I envision drilling all the way through the slab and using some kind of sturdy bolt with barb-like wings that would spring out like on a toggle bolt - do they make such a thing?

Thanks for helping.
  2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    You are correct in getting the largest safe you can.

Anchor it into the floor using concrete wedge anchors, and into at least one wall. A corner is better, and anchor it into two walls.
  3. Rusty Razor

Rusty Razor Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Go with digital key paid dials takes me for ever to get into mine- it takes me three trys. Can never go to big on a safe what you want for anchors is Stain less steel 3/8" redheads drill a 3/8" hole and pound in anchor base expands when tightend. Jim Henry
  4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    Sleeve anchors will hold very well. I have a hundred 27 inch TV's on concrete block walls with 3 each holding the wall mount.

Your toggle bolt idea is great but way too much effort.

5. quartering

quartering Active Member

Mar 15, 2007
    steel, and steel fabrication, is expensive. so there are no bargains in gun safes: you get exactly what you pay for. ammo storage is an interesting thought: the 5.56 might be worthy of some space... but i'd check with the fire department for an opinion first - i think they prefer cabinets which expand upwards. garage storage = safe dehumidifier. big one. and a safe ain't a safe unless it has a big ol' dial that you can spin back and forth like an old time mobster; get an electronic lock: quick, easy, simple, secure and you can open it in the dark! good luck with it
  6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    You can never have a big enough safe. Your wife will take over 1/2 of it. Also, get an inlaid door. Fred
  7. John 53

John 53 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Talk with the salesman about the lock, if it is not a kid that hasn't a clue. I was advised by a lock smith to go combination. He said a crook will be in an electronic lock in seconds by just plugging into a wall outlet and applying 110 volts to the E lock casing.

GO BIG! and fireproof. (Not all safes are fireproof) Make sure the fire rating is for at least 30 minutes.

Pay to have it delivered. These things are heavier than you think, and can mess up a floor if you do not have the equipment to move them.

That is my quarter's worth.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Feb 19, 2008
    "I was advised by a lock smith to go combination. He said a crook will be in an electronic lock in seconds by just plugging into a wall outlet and applying 110 volts to the E lock casing."

John: There are some cheap electronic "Home Security" safe locks out there which are easy to defeat, but if a decent quality electronic lock like an S&G could be defeated as easily as your locksmith suggested it would be all over YouTube and they would no longer be on 90% of gun safes sold.