1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeing the target better

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

I keep reading on here about a high rib helping to see the target better. If you are looking in the right place for the target I can see no advantage of one rib over another.They always said the same thing about the Browning Broadway and it has a low wide rib.I suppose all of the good shooters with low ribs don't see the targets very well.

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of shooters shooting low rib guns and shoot them exceptionally well, many are at the top of the clay target game and several hold records or high averages.

Conversely there's a whole group of shooters who don't do well with low or flat ribs, why, becuase of their physical makeup, neck lengths, head shape, cheek bone to eye socket ratio, jaw line and a whole host of physical differences may be vastly different than the so called average stature.

Many people shooting low ribbed guns are forced to rotate their heads downward to get into a flat ribbed gun causing them to effectively loose half their field of vision as their looking up not out for the target. Not only is their vision reduced, their gun is not as comfortable to shoot as it could be if they rotated their head upward.

Techology has changed about everything we touch (most for the good)in the last forty years, guns included. Do I want to go back to drum brakes or black & white TV, carded wad shotshells no. Do I wear the same size shoe as you, probably not, why? because were not built the same. What fits and works for you shoes pants or whatever probably won't fit as many people as they will.

Why can't you and others come to a basic understanding one size does not fit all including guns. I'm glad you can shoot a flat ribbed gun well, I can't, but don't try to tell me or others were wrong, it's you not us..............

Surfer

3. Cush

Cush TS Member

You can solve the "head-rolling" problem by simply raising the comb.

Richard Faulds will likely win Mens' Dbl-Trap at the Olympics this summer. He changed to a high rib last year, he says, to enable him to see the target better. It was a difficult adjustment but he stuck with it. He won several world championships in sporting and FITASC with a low (standard) rib gun but says that with a low rib on trap the barrel sometimes blocks the view of the "on-eye" for a fraction of a second, and he wants both eyes seeing the target (first target, with doubles) as soon as it comes out, if possible. The high rib, being narrower than the 12-ga. barrel, blocks it less often and/or for less time.

If you watch the Olympics this year you will be hard-pressed to find a trap shooter who is NOT shooting a high rib.

4. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

You can solve the "head-rolling" problem by simply raising the comb.

While this corrects your head position, you now have a firearm with a (potentially) much higher POI.

5. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

While High Ribbed Guns tend to be the standard for "International Doubles Trap" shooters, they are "NOT" for International Trap shooters. The majority of the "Olympic" (Bunker) shooters shoot low or lower ribs! The reason is that the doubles shooters know where their first target is going to be and they hold high and generally "SPOT" shoot their first target. Many Int. Doubles Shooters, as you can see by watching the ISSF World Cup presentations by going to the ISSF Web site, also shoot abbreviated high ribs so they can see the target across the gun as it converges on the barrel in Doubles Trap, including Richard Faulds, unlike the Bunkers shooters who mostly shoot full length lower ribs similar to the International Skeet Shooters. How many of you have ever been to a World Cup or Similar event to really see what these shooters shoot? Your chance is coming up in late March at Tucson, AZ where most of the best World Level International Shooters will be shooting the World Cup, prior to the pre-Olympic event in London England to test the Olympic grounds where the 2012 Olympics will take place. I highly recommend you trying to attend since this will be the best chance for most Americans to see these shooters in person shooting prior to the Olympics.

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

In many cases raising the comb is not necessary for some shooters depending on cheek bone to eye distance, they can simply rotate their head upward to have forward view, but in doing so, they create a large gap between their eye and the top of the barrel. A simple low cost soultion to closing this gap is to install a add on rib.

Surfer

7. open choke

open choke TS Member

It's all about each shooter's fit for their gun.

I have an add-a-rib and it's done wonders for me. I like that my head is straight, I agree that you don't have to roll your eyes to see the target and mess with your focus, and some say that it helps prevent head lifting cause you're eyes natural instinct is to follow what it sees and if the gun doesn't go the head will. But head lifting can still happen despite rib or comb height

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

richard faulds dohbles trap shooting

seeing the target better

trap shooting seeing the target