1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

seeing rib between the middle and front bead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

When I mount my winchester energy select trap gun I see rib between the middle and front bead. am I mouinting the gun wrong or does the stock need to be shortend. also how does this effect the shot, will it make the gun shot higher or lower.

any help

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Normally that would make it shoot higher. It depends on how you shoot whether that is good or bad. Did you try patterning it?

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I see a little space between the beads on both of my trap guns but it does not matter one tiny bit because the POI is just right for a rising trap target. I have deliberately filed down the middle bead to a tiny inconspicuous thing because I think the middle bead is useless if the gun fits in the first place.

4. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Just shoot it. This crap about seeing a figure 8 with the beads is just that. . .crap.

BB

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The first thing you need to determine is where does the gun shoot the way it is now. You should take it to a pattern board and take a shot 13 to 16 yards away. We normally use white paper mounted to a board with a round target about the size of a clay target drawn in the middle.

The more you raise the rear of the gun, the higher it will shoot. The more you lower the rear of the gun, the flatter it will shoot.

Does the gun have an adjustable comb? I am assuming that when you have the gun mounted that your cheek is against the comb on the buttstock? Once you render this information, I'm sure there are many people on this website that will assist you in finding the sweet spot.

People like MIA have ideas for layouts for pattern boards that you can make if you don't have one.

Kevin

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you are just checking Point of Impact (POI) at 13 or 16 yards; a 2 feet square target box will do. You can attach news paper sheets if you need to fire a bunch of shots. 1" high is about 60/40; 2" about 70/30.

1/16" change at the comb will equal about 1" change at 16 yards.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just remove the center bead and focus on the target. Soon you'll forget about having a bead on the rib all together.

ss

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

The front sight and the mid bead should be aligned but forming a figure eight is an old myth. I see quite a bit of rib between my two sights. When I am shooting, I check to make sure the sights are in the same line about every 6-7 shots.

Pat Ireland

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Bucko,

"The more you raise the rear of the gun, the higher it will shoot. The more you lower the rear of the gun, the flatter it will shoot."

I believe you'll find it's the other way around.

Jon Reitz

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jon, you give that a try and report the findings on which way the bullet or pattern goes? Think about that for a moment? Hap

11. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Who's right, Bucko or Reitz?

12. Jon Reitz

If he's talking about raising an adjustable comb, (which is not what he said), then I would agree.

13. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I like a high shooting gun. 100 over works for me, so I see rib between the beads on both my doubles and singles gun. I do not have adj. rib on either gun.

Rich in Indiana

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

That is about what I see on my 682x Beretta now that I got it shooting where I look.

The important question for you is whether the gun is shooting where you want. The more rib you see, the higher the gun is going to shoot.

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I shot a Silver Seitz at 120% for five years and did well . Long story short traded for a Titanium Seitz that was 80/20 thinking no big deal right .

I,m having one hell of a time . My singles are just ok but handicap really sucks . Late Last summer/fall I got sick and did,t shoot any after August . This Spring I,m thinking I need to get the poa up .

So Saturday I start my spring practice . I,v got 1/4 inch between the beads and it,s not enough . So Wednesday my next practice it,s 1/2 between the beads . Will see how that goes . And no I have not put it on paper yet but will Wednesday first thing .

I have thought about a new barrel but really hate to spend any money if this works for me .

16. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Not what I said, but what I meant. I haven't heard yet whether he has an adjustable comb or not. But if you raise your comb, the more rib you will see between the sights and the gun will shoot higher.

Kevin

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The sight picture depends on how the gun fits. The space between the beads will vary from one person to the next. It may work for you as is or it may not.

18. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

dolphin62, I have a Winchester Select Energy and love it. Fortunately I was able to get stacked beads with my comb to shoot the way I liked. This year I sent my gun out to have a 1 inch adj. rib added and a new comb cut for the gun. With my rib, comb, and adj. buttplate I can make infinite adjustments to my gun to have it shoot the way I want it to. Without these on your gun you have to tailor your shooting to what the gun will give you. The best thing you can do is pattern youg gun, then shoot consistantly before you make any changes.

19. Jon Reitz

Bucko43,

We agree.

Jon Reitz

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We check a gun out to see if it shoots where we think it should. We draw a cross hatch on the metal board, aim at it and pull the trigger. In my case I see at least a bead space ad usually two, to bring the POI to about 5 to 6" above the crosshatch. IN this second picture this is how we do it. We do not need paper to see the hits. This TM1 is shooting lower than my MX3 with two beads space. This is all done at 13 yards and then we multiply the inches times 3 to arrive at the actual POI. Some do this from a bench rest. We do it standing in order to simulate and actual shot at a target. The TM1 in this case shoots lower for this shooter than waht I actually achieve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.