1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

seeing fiqure 8 vs shooting with lots of rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i know this has been discussed many many times-but today i am perplexed-after shooting in papillions ne. meatshoot this sunday pm in subzero weather, i realize my mental state is in question! but beyond that,i shot a young mans new bowen trapgun- he was similar to my size and commented on the "fiqure 8" look he sees down the rib. when i pulled it up i saw all the ribs surface.my 90t is the same way and it really shoots where i am looking!when going out to shoot the bowen, i felt uncomfortable that this fine gun wud be off for me--- well , it smokedem!! the comment was made, that i shoot off the end of the barrel?WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT? ------------------------------------------- i have just recently setup my duaghters 391 with a taller adjustable rib.(this was for the purpouse of soley raising her level of sight and head) when we have the front set for 70% or a lil more( her original barrel was that), i then leveled the back for that stack of beads you all want. the 16yd went well but at the 24yd line--that hasnt worked, it felt like we were over ? bringing the front up 1 notch and lowering the back to see more rib, we got back to breaking them in the handicap. i am so confused now , that i wish i wud not have changed a thing??? do you set a gun for handicap 1st? is there differant poi from the 16's vs 24yd ??? will her seeing all or most of the rib be a worry? wally riebesell fell free to call me as i really need help--------- 660-744-4115

2. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Did you shoot jd bb gun .It is a while smoke the target

3. acss

yes it it was a BBgun -but how can one shooter stack the beads and another see all the rib and shoot off the end of the barrel. why is the holy crail found when "stackem"? WE BOTH BROKE ROCKS!!

4. acss

sam- your righton but everyone is looking for that 1 or 2 extra broken rocks- is there a down side to shooting with lots of rib in sight? in other words- is there a possibilty of a gain with level rib? other than assuring proper mount

5. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Duk: only when mounting gun

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

It makes no difference how much rib you see. Gun fit is the key to breaking targets. Dont believe me? Try this.

Take a gun that you shoot well and remove the center bead and place it in a different place along the centerline of the rib. If you are seeing a lot of rib normaly, just move it forward to the point where the beads appear to be stacked. The gun "fits" exactly the same, but your sight picture has changed. The gun will still shoot to the same place and your scores should remain about the same as usual. The coveted figure 8 is pure hokum.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

On some guns, it is possible to move the rear of the rib only. This will change the space between the mid bead and the front bead but it will not change the POI. The only points that will change the POI are your eye position and the front sight.

Pat Ireland

8. acss

who is the best at gun fitting? so far, we have put the new barrel on paper,shot straightaways at the 16yd/ #3 post,got my duaghters headup a lil more with the comb height ,she is looking down the rib with beads aligned,sees some rib( ok- no big deal!),turned her buttplate to level the gun( was alil canted) and raised the backend up as well -- have i missed anything???
    i do all this so my duaghter wont have to shoot with a disadvantage as i felt i did when young!
    wally riebesell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.