1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeing any Woodducks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 391 shooter, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have been having a lot of activity on my three Duck houses on the lake. They are so fun to watch go through their routine.

Any of you all seeing same?

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a couple of pair of wood ducks that nest in the hollowed out places in oak trees on the edge of my yard. We have watched them leave the nests with 15 babies and walk them to the closest pond over 1/4 mile away. Jackie B.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not yet but woodchucks are another story..saw a extremely chubbt rascal out at the gun club yesterday...hes an old fellow thats actually like a mascot

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I think they're there but the 3 feet of snow makes them hard to see.

HM

5. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Haven't seen any around here but I had to buy my beagle some snowshoes so he can chase rabbits. If you thought I had trouble walking with them, you should see the beagle Ken U

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Haven't seen any Woodducks. Did not see any last fall either though.

Seen a Red-Winged Blackbird at the feeder for the first time this year last Thursday. He flew north over the house, and haven't seen any migratory birds since. I am sure however that Blackbird is regretting his early arrival, as temps have fallen to almost zero, and wind chills below zero since he arrived. Last year it was in the seventies and sunshine. The first one arrived on March 9, along with all of the other early arrival species. What a difference a year makes.

7. Cray

Cray Member

Saw one on Ground Hog Day in Pa. Lot of snow in Western N.Y. Cray

8. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Being in Florida helps with the wood duck activity. My (3) boxes are in the water about 20 feet from shore in 2 to 3 feet of water 100 feet apart.

We have also had a gazillion Flying Cigars (Purple Martins)over the last two weeks feasting on a huge hatching of blind mesquitos.

We have a steady visual diet of Big Blue Herrings, White herrings, all kinds of egrets, King Fishers(one of my favorites), Galinouls, bald eagles, osprys, Rosy spoon bills, Little Green herens, Louisianna herrins, from time to time we get a bunch of wood storks wading and fishing along the edge.

hoot619, now that I would like to see, a Beagle in snow shoes, gotta be hilarious.

9. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

391shooter

Was out at the club early Sunday morning to work on a trap machine. There were about 150 or so on the lawn behind traps 3 & 4, they are just now starting to think about the boxes.

Robert

10. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Just kidding a little on the beagle but back years ago while rabbit hunting

and at the end of day coming out of the woods. We had a big redbone Hound that

used to walk on my snowshoes. I don't know how many times I fell over when He

stepped on them. Wish that old dog was still around. Ken U

11. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

Sandhills are back in Wisconsin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.