1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

seed drill - goofy question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by handlepuller, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a piece of equipment to plant my food plots. Mostly clover mixers, sorghum, brassica, but occasionally soybeans.

Could you plant soybeans and all these other crops with a seed drill? They would never be harvested, just left out for the deer.

2. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Yes you can.I don't imagine you are planning to put the soybeans on beds so a drill would be fine.Even if you did put the soybeans on beds you could make it work.

Darr Wilson

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

No, not on beds.

Just thought it would be easier to drill this stuff than to broadcast, harrow and culti-pack.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Find an old John Deere 9350 drill. They were mostly sold in 8' and 10' sizes hooked together in multiples of 2,3 or 4. Check farm auction sales. Nowadays old hoe drills are worth nothing up here as the air drill is king. I've got 3 x 8' - 24' unit I don't use anymore but I imagine you're a bit too far away to use 'em...

Ron Burr

Alberta

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tecomate makes a disk/planter/drag all in one. It's called a plotmaster. You may find a used one somewhere. Mine is 4' wide and is great for small plots inside wood patches or strip seeding. They have a 3pt and ATV hitch. They were around $2500 when I bought mine, but they displace 3 pieces of equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.