Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

See and enjoy the National Trapshooting HoF

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Hap MecTweaks 
#1 ·
On another post a statement was made ( they already have it. HoF very few people care.) I feel this was a very sad, shortsighted and a counter productive statement by any trapshooter.

Basicly the HoF is the history of our sport. If anyone has no interest in the history of trapshooting why would they want to even participate in the sport let alone waste their time making a statement such as this?

My take on where the national HoF should be is as follows. I believe that wherever it is located it needs to be advertised to try to draw in people from the general public and not somewhere that is mostly unknown to anyone outside of the shooting sports. Over all the years that it has been at Vandalia it has been unknown to most people other than ATA members. With Vandalia being listed as the Crossroads of America many more people would have visited and enjoyed the HoF if nothing more than highway billboards each way from Vandalia along the interstate highways 70 and 75 would have advertised it and if it would have been included in many of the what to do brochures in the Dayton area.

My opinion only, but why does it need to be at the site of the Grand American where only shooters will see it? A few locations that would be good for it is to remain somewhere in Vandalia, Ohio on property that the HoF owns. (It does not own it's present location.) It already has in place there a good and knowledgeable person in charge of daily operations. At the Cardinal Center on deeded property that the HoF would own right along interstate 71 and be visable to the thousands of vehicles that travel past each day. Another very good location would be in Virginia close to the NRA Museum. If it is built on property that it owns I believe there would be many people willing to donate funds to help it become a reality. Wherever it goes it needs high visability, advertising and property it owns.

Definitely I don't want to see it put in storage without a solid plan in place to have it on display again very quickly. If the history of our sport is dismantled and put in storage without a plan for a home I fear that it will be gone forever.

This is only my opinion. There may be an uninformed few that realy don't care, but I don't believe that many trapshooters are of that opinion. What is your opinion?

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
I really don't believe anybody outside trapshooting cares that much about the Trapshooting Hall of Fame.

I grew up 15 minutes from Vandalia, but I knew Ohio had lost out when the Tournament left, without so much as a peep from the Dayton City Fathers (Community Organizers?) as far as an effort to try to keep it.

If Cardinal Center is willing to sell ownership of land to ATA to build it on...then "game-on," I say let them wrestle it out with Sparta, and my vote goes to Cardinal, if and only if, the ATA would OWN it. (And if this boils down to some kind of petty ownership dispute between OSTA and ATA...then I don't know what to tell you).

I say leave it in Vandalia until we have money to build it on land we own, in a place where trapshooting is actually occurring. And if Cardinal Center doesn't come to fruition within 5 years, fix up a room in Sparta, put it there and be done with it. I don't like the idea of a politically-acquired piece of Illinois real estate we don't own, any more than anybody else does. But, I also prefer to see it where there is the sound of gunfire, and records are still being made and championships being won. Those old records have been hearing the sound of gunfire for decades. It should be that way again. Let the people who are shooting and setting the records to get into that HofF, see the HofF in the place where the accomplishments are taking place.

Keeping it in Vandalia, where there is no gunfire, and just a bunch of weeds growing, makes no sense to me. In 20 years, Vandalia will be little more than a string of crack houses.

#4 ·
There are a number of outstanding trapgrounds around the country that would be good and supportive locations for THOF. Why not put the location up for bid?

Most sport Halls of Fame are located in areas that are not the centers of the sport's activity. Canton, OH - Springfield, MA - etc.

World Golf Village is home to the World Golf Hall of Fame, where the greatest players and contributors are honored. Currently the Hall of Fame is celebrating one of its members - Bob Hope - in a featured exhibit, Bob Hope: Shanks for the Memory.

World Golf Village offers championship golf courses created by Hall of Fame legends, and a selection of accommodations including the newly-renovated Renaissance World Golf Village Resort and Beach Club and Grande Villas, a Bluegreen Resort. World Golf Village offers a complete golf vacation for your family, friends or next group outing!

From 1974 to 1994, the World Golf Hall of Fame was located in Pinehurst, N.C. Operating originally under the guidance from a local board of directors, it eventually became a project of the PGA of America. In all, 71 members from the Hall in Pinehurst were "grandfathered" into this new facility in St. Augustine when it opened in 1998.

In the late 1980s, former Commissioner Deane Beman envisioned a Hall of Fame for the PGA TOUR. By 1994, the project received funding and support to make it possible. Within two years, the Hall would become an initiative of the entire industry and welcomed the game's leading organizations to assist in the effort. Construction began in mid-1996 and the World Golf Hall of Fame opened in St. Augustine on May 19, 1998.

#5 ·
Dave, I have to agree with some of what you say. There definately needs to be a plan to quickly get the museum up and available. Ever hear of "niche marketing" that's where advertisers spend their money to put their product where there is the most interest. Our product (trapshooting history) needs to be put out to the biggest number of our customers (shooters).I think the past 5 years has proven that outside of shooters, there isn't much interest in trapshooting history. When the shoots at Vandalia went away, the visitors to the musueum went away. The museum needs to be where the shooters are congregating. I don't feel we need to limit the history to just one building. I have suggested and still support the idea that a traveling exhibit be put together to be available at all the major shoots.

#6 ·
I hafta agree with Karla. It's the shooters themselves that know what trap shooting history is all about and should have the oppertunity to see and experience it first hand!

Since it seems our ATA leadership doesn't have any long range plans in place for eventual ownership of our own home grounds, better to show it to more shooters via the shooting circuit. If, and that's a huge IF, ATA was to ever own such, then include the HoF as a permanent fixture there also.JMHO

Hap

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.