1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SECUTRIY SYSTEM OR GERMAN SHEPARD??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I used to live in Mayberry USA, now its turned into methberry USA.. home invasions almost every week.. not long ago a retired man and his wife were eating supper when some black thug took a shotgun and blew the back door open.. smacked the wife around cutting her face and then robbed them.. they lived in the country like myself where 911 doesnt work.. a buddy of mine had his house broken into, first thing they did was cut the wires to the security system.. I'm thinking german shepard guard dog.. we have a pretty nice looking front yard and my wife doesnt want me to intall a chain link fence.. (afraid it will look ugly..) (yeah right.. when your dead or some thug is beating the shit out of you how ugly is one then huh) I tried the underground fence deal once and wasnt very happy with it.. your opinions please..

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Think a Chihuaha and a 12 gauge be better then either the security system or the German Shepard. JUst a thought.

Gne J

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The police are usually just the mop up crew anyway.

Have a handgun, preferably revolver for fail safe operation, double action. Keep it handy, like along side your TV chair. Use at least a 38 +P. I don't like 357, they flash and roar too much and are sort of uncontrollable.

Have a pump gun with the chamber empty and the tube full along side the bed or on one of those cool metal mounts that puts it on the side of the mattress.

Pistol grip on the pump gun, either saw off a Mossberg or buy one for the 870.

12 or 20, either one.

You need to be really serious about this, any hesitation could mean your death. But you have to be in peril of your life (armed or threatening perp) to use deadly force.

There are others on this site more knowledgeable than I, You will probably hear from them.

Don't shoot anyone going away from you. A frontal hit implies you were threatened.

So far the bad stuff in our town is across the river or at least a mile away, but you never know. I haven't started with the loaded gun, but might just set one up now.

HM

HM

4. porky

porky TS Member

Get the dog. They'll keep you more company than your old lady. You won't regret it.

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Any kind of dog that barks like hell will deter a burgie. You don't have to feed a security system but people will think your strange if you pet it. My invisible fence works just fine, keeps a 100 pound shepherd in just fine.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dogs are nice to have around anyway, Even if they do eat and crap.

Our Golden died last Christmas and wifey does not want another because of the pain of loss. But time heals, and I think another pooch can happen soon.

NO one can come around without the dog letting you know. that's their job, and they take it seriously.

Just don't get a pit bull (Staffordshire Terrier). Some are very unpredictable.

HM

7. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I would have both. A good wireless security system and a dog. For this, I probably would have a large framed Doberman. Just something about one of those dogs with their large mouth full of teeth that make you think twice. I would put a sign up, dangerous DOGS. They only see one, wonder where the other one is. If your house is off the road some, build a sturdy fence that makes it difficult to get to the house and keeps your dog(s) safely contained. Last, 12 gauge riot gun and several handguns in house. Hell to have to live that way, but that's what it has come to.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Thought- Guard dogs raise your Insurance premiums - Security systems lowers your insurance premiums. 9mm does neither.

Don

9. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Go with the dog, my shepard / malamute / lab is a dr jekle mr hyde, dont show up after dark cause you are then coming for dinner, (his) if I am here he will bring you his toy for you to throw, dont get from the car if I am not here!! I always taught him, you wake me up, I'll take it from there
    Dave B.

10. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

I have both (Security System and a German Shepard). Shepard's are wicked smart - they will train fast on an invisible fence. Suggest also getting a wireless phone card for the security system - uses radio signal to talk to the monitoring service, no wires to cut.

Larry

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Larry nailed it.

Both.

Get a 12 ga pump too. Far better than a handgun for social work. Any factory load with #4 or #6 shot is good at typical house ranges (less than 30')

Add a Tac-Star Side Saddle with a few slugs if you need to shoot through a door

And hope you never need to use it.

Don Verna

12. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

[​IMG]

One of these should work wonders!!!!

Frank

13. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

After my third office break-in several years ago, I asked my insurance agent's advice about a dog or security system and he told me that If I got a security system, or maybe even a "wino with a rifle", I would qualify for a discount on my insurance but if I put a dog behind the fence they would probably cancel me.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

After a B & E at my office several years ago a investigating office who had told me they would probaly never find those who did it (he was right). I told him he wouldn't have that problem the next time because I was hooking up a claymore with a motion detector and the maggot would be laying there waiting because he wouldn't have any feet. Naturally the cop got all upset with me and explained if I did that I would go to jail but the crook would now be called stumpy.

Don

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

You don't have to tell the insurance company that you have a dog if there is nothing in the policy that asks about a dog or states that you should not have one.

Dobermans scare the hell out of people. They are really great guard dogs, but they won't bark. If you are sleeping, they will do a low growl, and then investigate themselves. They are very stealthy. That's what really scares people...you don't really know that they are there until it is too late.

But you shouldn't have one if you are a casual dog owner and have never raised an alpha dog. Dobies are the easiest dogs to screw up if you make mistakes.

Rotties, on the other hand, are scary looking, they bark LOUDLY, and are a bit more forgiving in their training (although they are not for a beginner, either).

If you ARE a beginner, and you still want one of these dogs, work with a good trainer on an weekly basis. It goes without saying that you should buy from a reputable, established kennel.

Wireless security systems are better than wired ones. Make sure that they have an independent power supply that it is always operable.

A pump or auto-loader is necessary FOR THE NOISE IT MAKES alone. Everyone knows what that sound is, and it's scarier than a dog. The gun may not even need to be loaded to deter an intruder.

Ask me how I know all of this.

16. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

I've got both and love my security system. One of my best investments I've made. If I'm sleeping at night and hear or think I hear a noise I don't worry about it. Nothing can get inside without setting it off which would alert me and my alarm co. My control panel upstairs (I have two) even tells you where the entry was made. When the alarm goes off it is so loud its hurts your hears. Sirens on the outside and inside of house. I've had it for ten years and have not had to use it professionally, only accidentally. It was professionally installed. If I moved I would have another put in my new house. Feel free to contact me ny email if you have any questions as I would ne happy to answer them for you. Charlie01

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Devi let the Ins. Co. find out you have a Guard dog and see how quickly they adjust or cancel your policy. It's called increasing the risk. If you change the risk from the original risk when the Co. accepted you, they can change or cancel your policy. They don't care about the crooks, it's the innocent people that the dog is going to bite(usually children).

I guess the whole dog debate could start again, we have not had it in a few months.

Don

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I live a few minutes from a bad part of town (who doesn't?)

I asked the insurance co about a Dog (NOT A PET), was quickly told I would be canceled, after almost 30 years with the same co.

I have a wireless system I spec'ed with cellular backup. It has motorcycle batteries for backup power supply. If I am gone for training or whatever and some crackhead cuts the power, the system will still work after 3 months.

Definitely get the cell backup. If a thug cuts the land phone line, it sends a signal right then. Get a model with a panic code. If you are caught in the house with your pants down, and must disable the alarm with a gun to your head, you can turn the alarm off but can discretely alert the alarm co that you have a big problem.

The cops who patrol my neighborhood know I am a State Certified Trainer and have Law Enforcement type guns. If the alarm goes off, two cars with angry, armed guys are at the house YESTERDAY. (GOOD)

Have your gun safe bolted to the floor and wall, with motion detectors and window sensors. Steel doors and sills will help harden the house.

What you are buying is TIME. The longer it takes them to get in and get your goodies, the less likely they are to hit the house, and the more likely they are to get caught if they do. Also, the more TIME you will have to respond to this.

The whole family MUST be part of the home invasion drills. Find a local trainer to help you with this. It is hard to help you on this on a forum. You may only have seconds to save the lives of your family.

Needless to say, if you are sitting on the couch watching the boob tube at 8 PM in your skivvies, the alarm is NOT on, and a firearm is NOT handy, you are at your most vulnerable.

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got an early warning detector (Beagle) in the house with a 870 in the corner next to the bed, and a open box of Nitro 27s on the headboard.

That was the plan I came up with for home protection years ago. Never practiced it though.

A few months ago I thought someone was trying to break in about 3am. Heard a big bang. Got up fumbled around for my glasses, grabbed the gun and then started looking for the shells. Hell I guess I moved them over to the nightstand. It took me 5 minutes to find the shells. Luckily it was just a false alarm. A big wind broke a limb out of the tree and threw it into the front door.

My point is you need to practice every once in a while your defense plan. I now keep a 45 right on the night stand. I can row over grab it cycle the action and I'm locked and loaded in 5 seconds. The shotgun is still there too, because I would prefer to us it if time permits.

Our neighborhood is starting to go to hell too. When I first moved here I hunted quail and rabbit right out the front and back door. Now I can see the glow of 3 or 4 stoplights. A house a 1/4 mile away must have 15 or 20 people living in it whom appear to Mexicans.

Sad thing is there is no place left to hide or run too.

20. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Recury, how do you know all this stuff?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.