1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Secure Gun Cabinet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbshep, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbshep

jbshep Member

Hayes cabinets in Rochelle, IL has started building the best gun cabinet I have ever seen. This may sound like a sales pitch but I have no relationship with Hayes Cabinets at all; I just happen to be a very happy customer. I took a chance and had a beautiful walnut cabinet shipped to me and am just so pleased that I wanted all you other trapshooters to know about these cabinets. You can see one now on GunBrokers.com, item # 134805428. They are also easy to find on the net and David Hayes will send you more pictures. They are not as strong as a steel windowless safe but close and will allow you to display your fine trap guns in a secure environment. Absolutely as advertised and more. A fine pice of furniture that would look great in any home or office. This is totally un-solicited! - Brad

2. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Nice looking cabinet! After being broken into twice in 4 months, I'll stick with steel. All I had to repair was some scratches around the door of one of the safes. They actually thought they could pry the door open!

Ed

3. jbshep

jbshep Member

The main reason to select the Hayes Secure cabinet is the ability to show off your fine guns. No crack-heads will be able to get to them. This is a fine piece of furniture that anyone would be proud to have in their living room. I haven't seen a steel safe that my wife (or I) would want in the house. Your insurance may pay for damage to the cabinet, mine does. - Brad

4. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

700-X the thieves were not that off in trying to pry open the door. Watch the video where two guys with a prybar and a crowbar open a safe in 1:44 minutes. I have posted the link to it above/below but if it does not work try googling "security on sale"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPUrqStiSTQ

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The fact is that any common steel safe, even the high-end ones, can be defeated by someone who knows what they're doing and has sufficient time. The key is to make it a difficult enough target so that it's not worth the trouble and risk of taking the necessary time. It is also a great idea to build the safe into a wall and hide access to it. And make sure your safe is firmly bolted to the floor/wall. Coming home to a tipped-over safe full of damaged guns will not make you feel very wise.

Not "advertising" that you own guns is another good way to avoid being targeted. Only your closest friends and neighbors should know that you own guns. If you have gun/hunting related stickers on your vehicle, or if you have one of those "Security by Smith & Wesson" stickers on your house's front door, you're basically asking to be burglarized. Not only are you saying to criminals that "Guns are Available Here," but you are even pre-warned them to arrive prepared for possible armed confrontation.

If you have high-end guns visible in a cabinet, or in a low-end safe, it's a good idea to insure them against theft. This gives peace of mind, but the associated Moral Hazard can increase the likelihood that your guns will be stolen (insurance makes people less cautious).

It's a shame we have to think like this in the USA, but that tells you what our society has become. These comments and advice come not only from my own family's experience with gun theft, but from discussing it with law enforcement officers who investigate the burglarized homes. I once heard a cop refer to those Browning Buck emblems people like do dispay on their pickup trucks as "Please Rob My Home Stickers." We should all think more like cops so that we can make life harder for criminals.

-Gary

6. jbshep

jbshep Member

All good points; still, for those of you who do want to display your perazzi, kreighoff, etc, this is definately the best way.

7. BRUSHMAN

BRUSHMAN TS Member

Apparently, gunbrokers.com has shut itself down. I tried to go there to look at the safe Brad was describing, and ran into that problem.

The other posts were good info, though. I thought I'd add one more possibility -- I have a safe which doesn't LOOK like a safe. It looks like an oak armoire. It's about 40 inches wide, and 71 inches tall including the removable decorative riser. The three Medeco locks are hidden unless one knows how to reveal them.

And, I'm selling mine, as my wife and I have sold our house, plan to spend the next few years full-timing in our 5th wheel, and won't have anything nearly as large when we resume "conventional living." $500, and transportation from East Central Tennessee is your concern. If anyone is interested, I can email photos.

J.D. Jenkins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.