1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Secret weapon

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Here is an unofficial pic of Australian double trap shooter Russel Mark and his brand new factory built DT11 double trap gun ready for the London Olympics.

He just got it today!
    [​IMG]

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

That sure looks like a winner!

Thanks for sharing.

Hauxfan!

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Looks great. Anyone over here shoot the short rib? Seems pretty popular in Europe.

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Why does he feel the need for such a high rib?

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Better target acuisition, much better. If you ever get a chance to shoot a short high ribbed gun, try it, you'll be surprised..............

Surfer

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

I suspect that with the rumored changes to Double Trap that this will become a one time use gun. Double Trap is a trick shot now and the overseers of Olympic Shotgun shooting would like to change that. .

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Tom

7. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I put a Bridgeshoot Mini Rib on my K 80 and have been shooting better than ever. I also have one on a Ljutic Monogun that I let people shoot to try the Mini Rib. Everyone who has tried the short rib has been amazed at how easy it is to shoot and see the target. You have to try it to beleive it!!

Here's a picture of the K 80.

Tomas

[​IMG]

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

This is just the old Ljutic Space Gun rib concept, not cooked in the oven quite so long....yawn.

But I can tell you one thing...if this guy's changing guns this close to the Olympics...there's one less chance Australia will have of getting a medal.

9. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

Wonder how the height of the rib on the K-80 with the short rib above, compares to a new "Pro" rib ?? Or even a Trap Special rib?? Roger

10. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Not sure about the Trap special, none around here to compare to. I did measure, and the middle of the barrel is 2 1/2" below the top of the rib at the bead. It's a 32" barrel, so I guess I made a 32" Trap Special. Shoots very high and can be adjusted to shoot much higher. Like I said, it's amazing how well this thing shoots.

Tomas

11. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Russell has been using the short rib since around 2008, this is just a new higher one that is purpose made by Beretta on the DT11 barrel and action, so I don't think he will struggle at all.

I'm backing him for a top 6 finish, maybe a medal.

12. snowbird14

snowbird14 TS Member

I tried a home made short rib on my trap gun but my cheek took the brunt of it. My cheek is fine when I shoot it in a regular set-up. I really like the short high rib, any suggestions that I could try to make it work.

Thanks
    Rob

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

dead on 4 , I have added a 3/4" high rib to my gun because I have a long neck and required it to shoot comfortably without such a high POI. As for "Better target acuisition" , can't say I noticed any difference at all. As for the short rib, can't see why that would make any difference other than being cheaper to produce. As buzz-gun ponted out, it isn't anything new, just a new group of people trying to re-invent the wheel.

14. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Russel is settling into his new gun well, shot 145+50=195 to set a new Australian record today.

Not bad considering he pulled it out of the box on Feb 22nd!

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Why does he feel the need for such a high rib?"</I></blockquote>Take a careful look at his photo...

The bores of both barrels run straight back into his shoulder pocket to reduce recoil rotation yet his head is forward on the comb but relatively upright and level. Best placement of the gun, best position of the head.

Keller

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

could redefine "snot-nose"

17. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

I wish him good luck at the Olympics...

As far as these short/high ribs, I'm betting a few years from now they might be available for a good price in the aftermarket. The guys that shoot them well will keep them; the guys that buy every new concept and can't shoot well will dump them for the next 'good' idea. Just seems to run that road quite often. Be patient....

18. turbobike

turbobike Member

Nice video/article on Russel Mark...pretty amazing shooter!

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think the DT-11 has taper bored barrels into the choke area. A few older American shotguns had this same type of barrel. A few of the Winchester model 37s had such bores and even fewer of the model 97s too.

I wish Russel and his wife good luck in making the podium in London too!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trapshooters short rib