1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Secret Of shooting in a crosswind?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stilltrying, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I shoot from the 24 yard line. I do well (22's to 25's) when the sun is out and the wind is not blowing. If a cross wind starts I drop down to 18! I use 3 dram 7 1/2 loads. Do I need to start using a faster load? When I try to raise or lower my gun and eye hold I fall apart, that seems to screw up how quickly I see the bird or mess up my timing. Normally I put the gun on the trap house and my eyes look 2 to 3 feet over the gun so I can see the birds quickly without the "comet tail". I have a number of books and dvds on trapshooting nothing seems help. The wind never seems to bother the Big Guns on the 27 yard line much. What is the secret?

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

secret? target drift and shot drift supposedly cancel each other out. I found not worrying about the wind but focus on centering each bird.

3. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I learned to shoot in West Texas where the wind blows briskly MOST of the time..

Ignore it...it's a mental thing. Just shoot the target... It really is nice to go some place where the wind never blows ...and shoot on a windy day.

The locals are beat before they start...thinking the wind is going to make a BIG difference... It might cost a bird once in a while ...on a huge gust or something, but everything else is business as usual.

Just relax and shoot the targets like you normally do...

Stan..

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Wind velocity only determines when change is necessary. Study shot wind drift numbers in your loading manual and you'll find that a 10 mph "breeze" will cause a pattern drift of several inches at 40 yards. As the wind velocity increases that number also rises. A clay target weighs around 4-1/4 ounces and the wind won't overhaul the forward power till it loses momentum and begins riding on the winds. How far out of the house a clay is when a shooter takes the shot also determines how much canceling is going on, if any depending on wind velocity. Steady winds are easier to read than times with high wind gusts in the mix.

The two answers above will work just fine till the wind velocities approach 40 mph, then, knowing how wind effects both the targets and the shot pattern is mighty important to know. Shooting in very high winds, it's possible to entirely miss a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 40 yards aiming at the center!!

Patterning a shotgun is boring for most folks, patterning one in high winds is a real chore in stabilizing the pattern board to stand there during high winds! That's how I know it's possible to miss a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 40 yards! Try it yourself and be prepared to be totally surprised by the results! High winds not only work on the horizontal scale of shot patterns but vertical also!! BUT, you can't know that for sure till you've tried it and KNOW? Breaking trap targets is a matter of inches and not feet, till mother nature gets involved! Guessing don't count for much either!!

Hap

5. StansCustoms

I guess we just shot 8 feet up wind at the patterning board in west Texas then...LOL.

(To clarify...The above was posted in answer to a post that has been deleted...)

6. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Forget the comet tale boloney and focus on the lip--see bird early....SMOKIT

7. SMOKEIT

Forget the comet tale boloney hold on back lip and focus on the front lip--see bird early as possible--just don't jump it........SMOKIT

8. SMOKEIT

Forget the comet tale boloney hold on back lip and focus on the front lip--see bird early as possible--just don't jump it........SMOKIT

9. Hap MecTweaks

Stan, did you happen to shoot the Autumn Grand last November in Tucson? If you did, I'm sure you won one or more of the caps events? Probably one of the windiest Autumn Grands on record?

I think your merely guessing about changing nothing in tough winds or you wouldn't have posted the drivel above. Making a statement of fact and proving it is very different, I can prove mine, you?

Hap

10. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

Prayer works

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Just remember,birds into wind,climbing and slowing down,birds with wind,diving like h---,,all the rest,minimal effect.,,Sounds good anyways,,,lol

Doug H.

12. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I am starting to believe that those among us who shoot good in the wind have the reflexes of a cat. Mine on the other hand have diminished with age. When it is windy maybe I will try a few red bulls and mountain dews before my next handicap session.

13. StansCustoms

I'm not guessing anything Hap..
    Just drivel...

Nope didn't make the Arizona shoot either...

And I don't shoot straight 100's on a good day either.

But I shoot pretty good...second in Trap on this spring's league shoot at our club...and I can proove that, if it matters... but that's about all I can prove.

...and one or two of those days were REAL windy is the reason I came in second. It faired well for me...not so well for folks that have't shot in the wind much.

If I do anything noticeably different...other than correct for diving or floating birds..I'm not aware of it. I just shoot normally.

I try not to get excited when I miss...when your hot your hot...when your not you not. It generally isn't the wind causing the miss (in my case at least). When I learned that...every thing was much easier.

Now then...you have an opinion and I have mine. You probably have higher scores than mine if you have shot much in the last 20 years....I stopped for 21 years and just started again last November.

My point is that my scores don't fluctuate drastically when the wind blows...not to say that some crazy gust won't test your metal, and cost a bird or two...but wind is wind...just shoot.

...and if that's drivel to you, well so be it.

Maybe we can be friendlier on another subject. Or not..

Happy trails...Stan

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

The old saying at the Lethbridge (Alberta) Trap Club was "hold a high gun and shoot 'em quick!"....worked most of the time.....and there are some posters on this forum that can attest to that....FYI I remember shooting registered targets with a 50 mph+ crosswind...except on trap 1 where the wind was blowing straight up from the river valley....

15. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Still, I like the idea of a red bull and a few mountain dews!

Charlie

16. Hap MecTweaks

Stan, yes, I deleted my post for several reasons. I knew what was coming and hoped I'd deleted it before any arguments began. So, if all fairness to those not seeing my post I'll repost it here for all to see again. If I came across a tad rough, I apologize to you. I knew "wind" discussions would lead to a lot of guessing and how it really works and change nothing etc. etc.. BUT, once hard blowing winds exceed the high 30s and on, change of method IS necessary to shoot winning scores. The only way shooters can know that is to experiment when the conditions calls for other measures. Pattern your gun in severe crosswinds and know the facts.

"Wind velocity only determines when change is necessary. Study shot wind drift numbers in your loading manual and you'll find that a 10 mph "breeze" will cause a pattern drift of several inches at 40 yards. As the wind velocity increases that number also rises. A clay target weighs around 4-1/4 ounces and the wind won't overhaul the forward power till it loses momentum and begins riding on the winds. How far out of the house a clay is when a shooter takes the shot also determines how much canceling is going on, if any depending on wind velocity. Steady winds are easier to read than times with high wind gusts in the mix.

Patterning a shotgun is boring for most folks, patterning one in high winds is a real chore in stabilizing the pattern board to stand there during high winds! That's how I know it's possible to miss a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 40 yards! Try it yourself and be prepared to be totally surprised by the results! High winds not only work on the horizontal scale of shot patterns but vertical also!! BUT, you can't know that for sure till you've tried it and KNOW? Breaking trap targets is a matter of inches and not feet, till mother nature gets involved! Guessing don't count for much either!!"

Hap

17. StansCustoms

OK Hap ...I understand your position on this. Different approaches are always enlightening.

Many times the methods are as different as those who are doing it...and the results are just as varied. Some things just work better for one person than another.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't work...just maybe not for everyone.

My apologies as well...it takes two to tango and I could have chosen better words myself.

Best regards..Stan

18. Lyle

Lyle Member

What I am going to say is not meant negatively, however, 22's to 25's won't get it done whether the weather is dead calm or not.

The guys from the 27 who do not seem to be altered by the wind shoot 24's and 25's from the 27 in good weather and do about the same in a stiff breeze. With that being said, practice until you get 24's and 25's most of the time from your yardage and understand that in a competition you will usually be competing against 10 to 15 percent of the shooters at the shoot who believe they can win. Kick the wind up a bit and that percentage goes in half again. Be one of the 10 percent or fewer that welcomes a wind because you know just the fact that it is blowing mentally eliminates most of the would be competition.

Oh, you don't need faster shells either.

Lyle

19. bigben

bigben Active Member

Stilltrying, I commend your questions on wind shooting, the most important fact is that the wind effects the shooter more,both mentally and physically than the wind effects the target! the reason many 27 yd shooters do so well is that they are aware of this and shooters of lesser experience do not.The mind is in trapshooting the most important item in shooting, you can hold a shotgun in a strong wind and shoot it at a stationary target and miss, then again you can take the same gun, ammo and wind, shoot it at a small clay target that either baloons or dives and smoke it!. the fact is when you are REALLY focused on the leading edge of your target it will break! incinerate em!

20. Hap MecTweaks

Lyle, knowing how to shoot in winds exceeding 40 mph helped me win my last 27 yard group belt buckle at the Autumn Grand last Nov. It was only a 95 but the list of top dogs scores from the low 80s to low 90s makes it one of my favorite belt buckles!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crosswinds in trap shooting

trap shooting in a crosswind

what is crosswinds mps in target shooting mean