1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Second shot of doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooter R, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Do most shooters just use their 16 yard shells for the first shot, and their handicap shells for the second?

2. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

One ounce on the first shot 1 1/8 oz single load on the second.

Michael Stephenson

AA-26.5-AA

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am not very good at Doubles yet.

I use 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz of 8's for both shots and the same load for singles. Keeps things simple. I read that Frank Little used the same shell for both shots - but he could hit anything.

I managed to shoot a 98 and 97 at the Grand last year to win a couple of C class events and used AA Light Target loads - #8 shot.

There is something in one of the issues of T&F that lists what the All-Americans use. If I can find it I will post it.

Don Verna

4. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I used 1 1/8 oz of #8 1/2 for the first shot and 1 1/8 oz of #8 for the second shot. The first shot had a velocity of less than 1090 FPS so that any recoil would not push you off balance and out of the gun. Able to take the second shot in one fluid motion
    Mike Battista

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I generally use my skeet shell for the first shot (7/8 oz of 8.5's going 1225 fps) sporting shell (1 oz of 8's going 1235 fps) for the second. I don't shoot registered targets but my league average is about 95% (94.737 if I recall correctly).

I don't know if it works for anyone else, but it works for me.

ss

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I use 1 oz. of 7-1/2's, 1200 fps for both shots.

Curt

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

1oz 8's for both...

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Shooter R:

Different shooters - including the All Americans - successfully use about every combination of bullets you can imagine. Anything from a pair of light one ouncers to pair of rhino rollers will do a perfectly good job IF you apply proper fundamentals.

I shoot an ounce of eights at the first target and 1 1/8 oz. of eights (running at 1145 fps) for the second. The one ouncer on the first shot is a significant advantage for a quick recovery and keeping my head on the stock when moving to the second target.

Bigger bullets will work but the law of diminishing returns applies. Bigger bullets mean bigger recoil with nothing in target breaking performance to show for it.

sissy

PS: I sent you a private message

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I'm in the process of re-learning to shoot doubles after a weight loss and a new gun. Trying to shoot 7/8 oz in both barrels. Seems to be working ok when I hit 'em, but it's too early in the learning curve to say for sure. Sure is nice on the shoulder though.

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I shoot 11/8oz reclaimed shot @ 1145fps for the first shot and 11/8oz 71/2's @ 1250fps for the second..... Works very well for me.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Like Michael Stephenson, I use a 1 oz load for the first shot and my 1 1/8 singles load for the second shot. Frank Little told me to do it that way and Frank knew a lot about trap shooting.

Pat Ireland

12. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs TS Member

What do I know? My doubles average looks like my IQ, about 85. I have a hard enough time just counting to 10 shells at each post. For me the KISS method works best. Keep It Simple Stupid. Same shell for each barrel. light 8's.
    The most fun about doubles is you get to reload twice as many shells.

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Pat,
    It appears that Mr. Little "discovered" different answers to the "proper" loads for shooting doubles at different stages in his career.

Hard to believe isn't it?!?

Don Verna

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

16 yard load for the first shot, handicap load for the second.......yeah that's what I do, usually.

John C. Saubak

15. zack nannini

zack nannini TS Member

light 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz #8 remmington sts or gun club both shots and singles it has always worked alright for me not a lot of recoil and gets the job done

Zachari Nannini
    AAA-27-AAA
    04-15644
    ATA Life Member

16. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I once got a "10" on a station shooting doubles...Thank you......Uncle Sam, Pa.

17. guerini

guerini TS Member

Just started last year shooting doubles, I shoot extra lite 1oz. 9's on the first shot, and my singles load on the second...light 1 1/8 of 9 lots of soldiers, I know most will disagree but it works for me.. Absolutly no recoil, just bang,bang.....

Good shooting

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don- Frank's advice was what I should shoot, not what he shot.Frank frequently shot the same load (his 16 yard load) for both shots. He did not want to get mixed up.

The second doubles bird should be shot about the same distance as one shoots 16 yard birds. If one is shooting the second bird at a greater distance (falling bird), he needs to work on his timing, not use a heavy second shot load.

Pat Ireland

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I know shooters who shoot doubles better than me who use exactly the same shell for both shots of doubles.

I know shooters who shoot doubles better than me who use two completely different shells for the first and second shots of doubles.

I also know shooters, better than me, who use two completely different shells for the first and second shots of doubles who admit they have at times mixed the shells up and shot the first shell second and the second shell first, and it didn't make any difference in the result.

I also know shooters, better than me, who admit they have at times accidentally shot rounds shooting the wrong barrel first, and it didn't make any difference in the result.

20. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Through the years I've used about every combo imaginable. Broke first 100 using AA 3 dram 8's for both shots. Used the early rhino rollers for second shot once upon a time. Have used 1 oz 8.5's for both shots just because Daro said he did. When it gets right down to it, if your timing is efficient under normal weather conditions, the average person will not tell the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.