1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Second bird in doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dds4horse, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I am a beginner doubles shooter and I am having trouble with my second bird. Other than practicing 2 birds at a time I'd like to work on picking up that second bird what would be the approximate distance I should stand back on the line to simulate it.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The reason new shooters have trouble with the second bird in doubles is that the POI of their shotgun is set for a rising bird. Most doubles shooters when they shoot at the second bird are shooting at a flat or dropping target. If you can adjust the POI of the second barrel of your gun to shoot flat your hits on the second target should improve. HMB

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The top shooters recommend taking the first bird as fast as you can since you know its flite path before you call Pull. Leo recommends dropping the barrels down in a slight "U" shaped move after the first bird so that you can come up to the 2nd bird.

4. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Shoot the first target as aggressively as you can and the real key to breaking the second target is to not watch the first bird break. As soon as you feel the gun recoil get your eyes to the second bird BEFORE the gun gets there. Then make a controlled smooth move right through it.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It would depend on how fast your second shot is. With me, the answer is "27 yards". I'm so slow that the shooter on my right is calling for his targets while I'm still chasing the second bird. ;-)

6. jbshep

jbshep Member

I've had the Same problem for years. After three private lessons with Phill Kiner, Phill suggested I take up golf! Recently I have found that I have double vision when looking left. My optomitrist corrected the problem with a prisym lense prescription. I'm now trying doubles again. Suggest you be sure your distance prescription is correct as you will need to look left to pick up the second target.
    Good luck. Brad

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Two possibilities come to mind. (1)If you are a one eyed shooter because of off eye dominance you may be opening the off eye looking for the second bird. This will thoroughly confuse you as to where the barrel is relative to the bird. (2)You may be lifting your head looking for the second bird.

I doubt that practicing on one bird from a distace will help. It is the swing and sight picture while swinging that you will have to develope. Marc

8. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Well you did say you're a new doubles shooter. Try not to make it too complicated. Watch the pairs before you and pick out where you want to break your first target marking it with something in the background. Set up just below that spot with a soft focus out above your rib. Call your pair and when the target clears your rib and you see it move the gun into it and rip it. The second the gun recoils your eyes should be gone to the second bird. Lock onto it like a jet fighter and make a controlled swing through it like you do an angled singles target. You should shoot doubles a little wreck less but not out of control. Above all don't quit shooting them if you get discouraged. Lots of people won't shoot doubles and I believe it's because they are intimidated by them. They are the most fun you can have in this sport and you can win a lot of trophies because there are just not that many good doubles shooters. Avoid advice from shooters who are struggling themselves because there are a lot of weird ideas on how to shoot them. I've heard people say you should ride the first target and make sure you break it cause you will get at least fifty doing that. If someone tells you that politely thank them for their advice and promptly forget everything they told you because they are shooting not to lose instead of shooting to win. Also, you may be trying to shoot the second bird too fast. Maybe you saw someone hanging soot balls and shooting them lightning fast so maybe you're trying to do that too. Not everyone can shoot them fast like that. Never go so fast that you lose control of your gun.

9. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

The faster you shoot the first target the more time you "bank" to shoot the second target.

Maintain your gun mount throughout the first shot. This is critical so hold the gun very firmly.

Lead the gun swing to the second target with your eyes. This will "suck" the barrel to the target.

Hope this helps.

Doc

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What can you do to shoot the first target fast? I use a skeet choke and 8 1/2 shot for that first bird. I also like to trap the first bird. This method lets me break the first bird about 5 yards out of the trap house. HMB

11. warren

warren Member

I have a lot of trouble with it because my off eye tries to take over when I search for the other target and I crossfire. I don't know of any way to stop this other than concentration.

warren

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Warren, Try shooting the first bird which allows you to move the gun in the direction of your shooting eye. For example, if your right eyed shoot the left bird first on all stations so when you move to the second bird your right eye will see it first. HMB

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Most of the posters here are wrong....some hint to it...but the key to the second target in doubles is the FIRST TARGET!!!! Get a good doubles shooter or take a class and get your set-up right for the first target....and the second target will just happen............

GS

14. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

Have a trap throwing singles locked to throw a straightaway angle then shoot it like your first shoot in doubles. Keep shooting it faster and faster until you start shooting behind it and you'll know your first shot speed without having to worry about the second shot. You can do the same drill for the second shot by making a move as if your shooting the first bird then swingover and shoot the second bird. Then go out and shoot real doubles. As someone else said make sure of your barrels POI and shoot the higher one for the first shot. And shoot a light one oz for first shot and keep your head on the stock.

15. warren

warren Member

Thanks HMB I'll try that.

warren

16. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I like that idea too...wonder why I never thouht of it. While it doesn't happen all the time..my left eye does take over once in a while.

Good idea HMB!

Stan..

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

No one mentioned foot stance -- set your stance to get the second bird where it is more comfortable for you .

18. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I am also having trouble and I tried the different chokes for first and second shot. I am having trouble screwing in the second choke between shots on my 391. Can anyone help me???? I make the first shot and get the choke tube out but trouble getting it screwed all the way in before the second shot.

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

movement to the second bird should be an smooth uncoiling movement. I set up so I'm headed to the second bird before I shoot the first one. Make sure you have got good birds to practice on. The way doubles are presented many clubs is different depending on who sets the targets.. Height is often set by gosh or by golly. Quit spending time here on TS.com and be out shooting doubles. Practice, practice practice.

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You are going to have to get a back up 391, hold one in your left hand and one in your right hand. When the birds come out shoot the left bird with your left hand and the other one with your right hand. Make sure you use the right chokes. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

floating the second bird in doubles trap

getting the second bird in doubls