1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seattel to Vernal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I am planning on attending the June shoot in Vernal Utah. I am thinking about taking my trailer and am wondering How many and how steep the mountain passes are between Seattle and Vernal. I know that the pass east of Pendleton Oregon is steep heading west. But I am not too sure about any others.I would like to hear from others who have driven this trip pulling a heavy trailer.

Thank you,

Jim Bradbury

2. Lyle

Lyle Member

If I remember correctly there seems to be the Blue Mountains (Pendleton) and after that you are good to go until you get to Utah. In Utah in seems like there were two faily steep grades, but not that big a deal.

Lyle

3. Lyle

Lyle Member

Also, trailer spaces are hard to come by for that shoot. Maybe if you ask they will give you my trailer space. I was banned from the gun club by Mr. Hawley so I would be happy to give you my trailer space.

Lyle

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

How much does trailer weigh and what is your tow rig? Should be piece of cake if you are not overgrossed. Be honest, know the weight of your vehicle "wet" and trailer's "wet" weight and no problem. Heck, my former '07 D-Max (that was stolen) had no problems whatsoever pulling a 7000 lb. wet weight trailer over a high pass in Colorado...I think we got up to 12,500 feet and I never went below 65 mph. Engine EGT did hit 1250 at one point and I had it set to warn me at that temperature, a very conservative setting. Heck, the engine would, by factory default, defuel at 1300 degrees anyway, or so I was told. I did back out a bit at 1250. I'm conservative.

But...today's modern vehicles do what they are advertised to do, particularly trucks. Check the specs of your truck and maybe auto club can "guesstimate" the highest air altitude density you will hit.

Now...this stuff is very important IF you are flying a light private aircraft "over" a mountain range, e.g., the Sierras!

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I have not driven the section from Seattle to Umatilla OR so don't know what it is like. From Umatilla to Ogden UT there is one big uphill grade going out of Pendleton, and lesser ones going out of La Grande and Farewell Bend in Oregon. Everything else is pretty minor. My wife and I went from Ogden to Vernal last summer on our way to Boulder, and I remember some hills, but nothing like the Pendleton grade. On the other hand, we weren't pulling a trailer. My impression is that if you wanted a slightly easier path, cut off I-84 onto I-86 just east of Burley ID, switch onto I-15 south at Pocatello, onto US-30 east at McCammon ID, I-80 east near Little America WY, and US-191 south between Green River and Rock Springs WY. There are only a couple of mild grades on that route, which is the one that many truckers take when heading east from Boise.

6. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Chango2:

I have an 03 F-250 super duty with the wonderful 6 litre. I have had several passes that I am only doing 30-35 mph to get over. Mt hood from Portland to central Oregon, and Chinook pass from Yakima to western Washington for example. But Snoqualmie pass here in western Washington 55-60 going over the top no problem.

Pocatello, I have considered the route you are suggesting too.I have traveled that route going to Wyoming and Oklahoma but that was longer ago than my memory wants to remember.

Thanks guys,

Jim Bradbury

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

"Wonderful" 6 liter? I wonder what Ford was thinking, I assume that's the diesel. And Ford makes some great engines such as the Coyote 5.0 in the new Mustang and allegedly the ecotech 3.5 is pretty good too.

I'd guess that you are pulling a very heavy trailer, at least 10,000 lbs. wet, or you are very aware of the head gasket/stud issue with the Ford 6 liter diesel.

There is a fix, lots of conversion kits for Cummins into Ford, or head studs for that engine. All fixes expensive, etc. Ford should make amends IMO by helping your wallet with a great trade in offer or??? My opinion, anyway. I figure any company that can make something as nice as the Boss 302 knows how to do better.

But now I know why I am really a GM guy at heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.