1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seating primers in Gun Clubs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PatMiles, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

I was having trouble seating W209's in my once fired GC's. They would come out of the priming/powder station of my MEC 9000 proud of the base. I read ALL of the posts regarding this problem and tried all the remedies. As it turns out as the shell rotated through the other stations and squirted out the chute the primer was fully seated and flush with the base. No complaints but wonder why. Ideas?

Thanks,

Pat

2. A201

A201 TS Member

losen the clampand run the powder drop tube down 1/8 in or more and reclamp. ?Roger

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The other holes in the shell plate are smaller than the deprime hole. They are only the size of the anvil of the primer. The flange of the primer will seat fully with the down-stroke from the other stations.

Wayne

4. PatMiles

Roger,
    I'll try your suggestion. Thanks to everybody else for their input.

Thanks,

Pat

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Even in my 800+ the first time Winchester primers are used in any of the Remington hulls they stand a little proud. Not enough to hurt anything so I don't do any readjustments. Next time around they are just fine.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

What likestoshoot & flincher100 said, & as per your post when they came out they were seated flush. It's a minor difference in the shape of the primer cup, those GCs are about the longest life for reloading of anything I load'em 6 or 8 times before I let them go. Ross Puls

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No adjustments to the machine, just put a small washer in the hole on the priming station, the hole the primer sits in. HMB

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Hard to believe there is an issue with the Winnies seating. I reload some once fired GC's on occasion with Fiocchi 616's and they have to be the one of the largest in diameter. Same press, 9000g.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Could the sizing resistance of the GC steel heads affect this? I have my suspicions, but everyone is entitled to their own erroneous opinion. Regards, Ed

10. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

I did not read all of the replies so if this has been covered please excuse me. But:

A201 has it right. Solution is simple.You have the powder drop tube too high in the reloader. Loosen the clamp and pull the tube down. Then retighten the clamp. This has the effect of pushing the base of the shell down further over the primer so it is flush with the base.

11. maka

maka Member

Check the steel stem or peg under primer seating station, sometime unintentional you might have bumped it. If this happens it is no longed centered under the primer seating station. Just a thought. Good Luck.

12. PatMiles

I lowered the powder drop tube and fixed the problem. Primers are flush out of the primer seat/powder station now. Still spending more time cleaning up powder and shot than loading. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble...

Thanks,

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.