1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Seating primers in .410 STS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dgh, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I Know I know,, Trapshooters forum and I am asking on .410, Well I have a tube set in a 680 Beretta, and its fun bird gun,

So the problem, I reload all the gauges with loaders

Just got a 9000 Progressive, It does not like seating primers in the STS hull,

I use the Fiocchi 616 in (.209 type) not fully seating, Contact MEC. They said lower primer seating tube, Already did, but tried more, Totally compressing spring,and still have them not seating,

Stopped on way home and picked up 100 winchester 209, NOPE same seating issues, I guess it is the remington Hull??

It was easy on a single stage, just seat it again if it did not set,, CANT do that on the progressive,,

I the STS hull that finicky to use??

What hulls have you guys loaded with success??

I load gold medals in 12, is the federal 410 a decent hull??

TIA Doug

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've loaded tens of thousands of STS w/ Fiocchi and Win primers on a MEC 9000 with not a single issue. The problem is somewhere in your press, not in the combination of components.

The federal .410 hull is junk.

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Remington primers are shorter and more rounded than other primers. The primer pocket in Remington hulls is shaped to match the profile of Remington primers. I stick with Remington primers in Remington hulls when loading on a MEC Grabber or 9000. If it is necessary to use other primers, I seat them on a MEC 600 Jr. This only has to be done on the first loading.

Michael Goines

4. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I don't know if it applies to the 410 STS's but on SGworld there is a MEC master who goes by Curly No-Hair and he has a couple strings on issues with STS shells vs non-Remington primers, usually Win 209. Seems the factory Remington primers are a tad shorter with a different tip geometry than others, perhaps Fiocchi as well, and in the manufacturing process a little lip of plastic ensconces the top of the primer forming sort of a cup around the original primer. When you try to jam a slightly longer more rounded primer in to the "cup" sometimes the MEC presses can't get the primer to seat.

He has some solutions which most on those strings report work well. Usually involves a certain size drill bit (I don't recall which) to scythe the extra formed plastic out so the longer more rounded primers fit.

Again, I don't know if this holds true for 410 so take it for what it's worth.

Dan

5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

What Curly says works. Non-Remington primers are hard to seat especially in 28 and 410. There is extra plastic in the primer hole. If I remember correctly it is a #1 drill bit. SGW is down right now or I'd search it out for sure.

6. skeet_man

For the record, I've never taken a drillbit to a hull, and have never had a proud win or fio primer w/ rem 410s in a MEC press, so it can be accomplished.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use CCI primers to correct the problem. HMB

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I'll backup the comments about Remington primers in Remington hulls. They seat better than anything. Worth a few bucks to me.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Had the problem, got the fix from Mec(double clamping bands). Didn't work. I have my friend with the single stage seat them the first time for me. good solution, costs one beer.

HM

10. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Well thanks for the comments.

I dont think its the press, I have loaded some AA and they load fine in fact I can back the seating tube way off so it just slightly compresses the spring on the full down stroke, and the primer is home,

I have loaded countless thousands of Fiocchi primers in 12 gauge never a problem. in 20 gauge as well

I may just have some sub par STS hulls, I did not shoot them new, I bought them once fired. They were supposed to be over under fired. They run through the deprime resize just fine,

Thanks to all
    Doug

11. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Hey Ian if you don't believe me ask Curly and Dave Marcum. They're who told me to try that.

12. skeet_man

Rhett- Be that as it may, i think its unnecessary if you have your press set up correctly. The only time I ever had trouble w/ proud primers in rem hulls was with a PW. I've never had a single proud one with any of my mec 9000s in any of the gauges.

13. billn

billn Member

I had the same problem with setting the Win 209 primers in the 410 STS on my MEC 9000G, I incresed/lowered the spring tension and I fixed the problem in setting the Win 209 Primers in the STS 410 shells. Now they are seated correctly and I have loaded a lot of shells now for shooting skeet. I had no problem with the AA hulls.

14. fly

fly Active Member

I have pounded thousands through my 9000G using STS hulls. I use in most cases Remington primers, and the MEC double clamp on the second stage. However once you drive the primer that hard a new problem will arise. The primer seating tube on the 2nd station will drive itself into the plastic inside the hull. When the handle is on the upstroke it will eventually release causing the hulls with shot in them to spit bb's.

I had created a "Smooth Operator " device to eliminate these problems. I had sold these for $20.00 several years ago, and will gladly send you one for free to try.

PM me your mailing address.

Phil,

15. fly

fly Active Member

16. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

ok Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.