1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sears Roebuck 30-06 question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Outlaw525, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outlaw525

Outlaw525 TS Member

I have a Sears Roebuck J.C. Higgins Model 50 and I cannot find anywhere the value of it. Any one have any ideas? Thanks Tanner
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

JC Higgins guns were low cost spec guns. Yours is probably worth $150 - $200 plus whatever the scope is worth. Just my opinion. Good luck.

-Gary

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Its still a nice commercial Mauser action gun..hang onto it

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The Sears and Roebuck's of that era were Browning FN actions.

Like Calvin says Keep it.

Most of the S&R actions became Custom rifle by some of the best builders.

5. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I'd venture that it was made by High Standard, based on the Sears number on the barrel. While it's not a hot collectable, High Standard did make a quality, reliable gun.

6. Outlaw525

Outlaw525 TS Member

Thank you for all the input! Tanner

7. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

J.C. Higgins Model 50 & 51 By Jon Y. Wolfe

The J.C. Higgins Model 50 was the creation of the Sears and Roebuck Co. in the early 1950s. Although not manufactured by Sears, the giant retailer was certainly instrumental in their creation and importation. Information on these rifles often conflicts so I have included information derived from the predominant consensus and my own findings of fact.

The Model 50 was originally produced by Belgium's Fabrique Nationale using a commercial 98 Mauser action and 22 inch chrome lined barrel from High Standard. The chrome-lined barrels were limited to Models 50 and 51. Later models included the Model 51/51-L built on the FN and Husqvarna actions, Model 52 by Sako, and the last Model 54 by Browning. Some report that the later Model 51 was simply an imported Husqvarna 640 and the Model 52 was simply a relabeled Sako L46. It is true that Husqvarna used FN actions on the 640, but the barrel and wood on the Model 51 are different than that found on the HVA 640. The rifle was advertised and sold through Sears and Roebuck Co. and each rifle's barrel was marked as such. All variations included a model number on the left side of the barrel just at the end of the forearm, and a code that corresponds to the date of manufacture. For example, mine is stamped 583.100. The rifles were only chambered in .270 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield. Mine is chambered in .30-06. Overall length is 43 inches, it has a healthy 13 3/4 length of pull, and the original model 50 was supplied with a no frills walnut stock without checkering. Sling swivel studs and a polymer butt plate were standard.

Subsequent models, like the Model 51-L that I own, have a walnut stock with a full wrap around cut checkered forearm and a raised check piece. The bolt is the traditional controlled feed type with a one piece polished bolt body, one-piece firing pin, and a two-position short-throw 45 degree safety to accommodate the use of a scope. The bolt handle is consistent with the "Second Pattern FN Action" in that it sweeps back to allow clearance for a scope. The bolt head has the traditional two locking lugs and the rear safety lug. The extractor is large and prominent. Each bolt was electro penciled to the rifle using the last three digits of the serial number, which was located on the right side of the receiver. The bolts used on these FN Belgium made actions are of the highest quality and durability. The drilled and tapped receiver, hinged floorplate, trigger guard, and magazine follower are all made from milled steel. The floorplate has a button release for emptying the cartridges, and the trigger is grooved for a positive feel. The trigger mechanism on the Model 50 is heavy but there is minimal creep. I've talked with some folks who replace them with the Timney 98FN Sportman 101, which requires a little modification of the inletting and no safety modification. The barrel comes with open sights and is 22 inches long. It has a sporter contour that tapers to .5 inch diameter at the muzzle. All reports on the accuracy of J.C. Higgins Model 50s and subsequent variations have been favorable. In addition to its inherent accuracy, the Models 50 and 51 came with chrome lined barrels, thus adding to the useful service life of these rifles. Weight is 8 1/2 pounds bare and unloaded.

The overriding consensus regarding the J.C. Higgins Model 50 is that it's a rifle worth holding on to if you have one, and worth seeking out if you do not. Prices are generally suppressed because of the department store association. Despite this, it is among the finest hunting rifles ever mass produced. This point is emphasized by the fact that these can be bought at bargain prices. Expect to pay between $200 and $400 depending on condition and how much the seller knows about this fine rifle. If one were to build such a gun today using the same FN action, the price would easily exceed $1000.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_value_of_a_model_51-L#ixzz1m8YQKnMs

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Hey, I'll give you $200.00 for it, and you can keep the scope. The trigger guard and floorplate are worth $50. I know. I am in the process of rebuilding an FN Mauser sporter.
    I would hang on to it if I were you. Checker the stock and give it a nice refinish and you'll have a good looking, good shooting rifle that you can pass on to your kids.

9. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

That's a $500 rifle, and don't settle for less than $400 if you're selling. At an estate auction, maybe $300 plus buyer fees. They are very accurate rifles, and as good as any pre-64 Winchester. My 270 would shoot just about any ammo and bullet weight into 1 to 1-1/2 5 shot groups at 100 yards easy. 30-06 is a popular caliber.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have several JC and sears guns and consider them some of my best.

11. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Here are two that I have. The first one is mine and I just re-finished the stock last week. This gun is just as it came from the factory with the sling and the 4X JC Higgins scope.

The second one is my wife's. Scope and mounts are new, new rubber recoil pad and new sling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

An original, mint, 1948 M640 Husqvarna in 8X57. If you want to sell your rifle, I am interested, but do not expect and would not want you to give it away.

13. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Jim, I think I have your twin (except the stock) w/scope. In 30.06, and yes it will "drive nails" at 100 yrds. I was a replacement for a win. mod 70 (which was stolen), and I have not looked back in quility.

Norman

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

This gun is shockingly accurate. Even though my eyes are old and tired, I will not have it tapped for scope mounts or a receiver sight. The factory iron sights are precisely regulated at 50 yards.

In my neck of the woods, 50 yards is a long shot for deer. I bought a box of 200 gr Nosler Partitions for that special occasion this fall.

I prefer my 30/30 Model '94 or 35 Marlin 336 for such close in work, but this old classic deserves another day in the field.

15. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Cuban cigar, I know what you mean I have a JC Higgins model 20 pump gun made by High Standard. Gun is 50 years old with a Poly Choke.It is a great field gun. Never a problem. It's in 85 to 90% condition I was going to cut the barrel and make it a house gun but I just don't have the heart to do it. I can "hold" the trigger, (6 shot) and pump away. I know its not worth much but it's too nice to amputate some of the barrel.

16. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I really would have guessed this rifle was made by High Standard and not by FN based on the barrel stamping. Now I know as well.

What is most interesting about the various private-label guns is who really made them. Like others here, I own several Sears, Ted Williams, Western Auto and J.C. Higgins rifles and shotguns. They were made by Winchester, Marlin, High Standard, etc.. All are quality, dependable guns. None are particularly rare or valuable.

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My Sears model 53 which is actually a Winchester post '64 model 70 has a bolt that rattles and the cast detents on the cast safety lever were so sloppy I had to disassemble it and re-cut the detents by hand, but it is reliable and accurate, and cares not what ammo you feed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to date a sears and roebuck 30 06 model 53
marlin model 53 sears and roebuck

sears 30-06 rifle value

sears and roebuck 30-06 rifle value
sears model 50 30-06 rifle value
sears model 53 30-06 value

sears roebuck 30 06 rifle

sears roebuck 30 06 value