1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sean's first coyote.....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sean and I went coyote and gray digger (California gray squirrel) hunting trip Friday and Saturday on the White River Game Management Area, east of Mt. Hood. We made some stands, but the combination of hot weather and full moon probably kept most coyotes from being very active during the day.<br>
    <br>
    But Friday night as we were setting up camp I spotted a coyote moving through a field. He was in and out of the tall grass. Told Sean, "Hey, I think I see a coyote out there". Sean said it was a coyote, and grabbed his gun (a Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter in 223 with a Leupold VariX II 4-12x). Sean lined up on the coyote, which was trotting, and said he was going to shoot him behind the ear. Before I could tell him body shots had less risk of missing, Sean fired. The coyote spun and went down hard.<br>
    <br>
    We paced out 175 yards. And the shot hit right behind the ear, taking out the back of the head and the upper few neck vertebrae. Couldn't even find fragments or hair.<br>
    <br>
    And yes, I did explain to him why body shots were much safer, especially on moving coyotes or in the wind. But dang, he put the bullet right where he said he would. He also did the same thing earlier on a gray digger. Called his shot and made it exactly where he said it would hit, even though we had a 5-15 mph unsteady wind.<br>
    <br>
    I didn't post the pic directly here because it has a lot of blood, and I didn't want to hear whining. If you want to see it, click this link:<br>
    <br>
    Sean's First Coyote

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Nice shootin' there Sean. 175yds on a trotting coyote is a dandy of a shot.

ec90t

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Tell your boy that was a nice job!

I mean, not that approbation of us unsafe, whining, anti-gun compromising trapshooters would _mean_ anything to you, of course...but just in the unlikely event that it does...

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    John, nice pic. That coyote is quite a bit larger than Sean's. The one he zapped was a youngster who probably wasn't long from being kicked out of the den.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.