1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sean in Oregon's new toy - Buckmark Whisper

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since my son Sean turned 21 yesterday, the first thing he wanted to do as a full fledged adult was buy his own handgun. He liked my Buckmark Field model, and eventually wants a suppressor, so he went with the Buckmark Whisper. Fortunately the local dealer still had one left in stock. No range report yet. He's cleaned it and is heading out to test it now.

For those not familiar with the Whisper model, it's a limited run Buckmark Camper with a tapered bull barrel that's threaded on the end for use with a suppressor.

He's looking forward to using this for plinking, target practice, and small game and varmint hunting.

(That's my Aviator suppressor on it in the second photo.)

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

3. Brian in Oregon

This is shooting related. Please delete your asinine statement.

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This is really just a question.....anyway......If the pistol is your sons and the suppressor if yours????????? Wouldn't that potentially be a problem?

5. Brian in Oregon

Not if it doesn't leave my sight. I screwed it on the gun for photo purposes. He's going to purchase his own suppressor.

6. 221

So that means "yes".....possibly.....that was what I was asking, cuz there are a lot of things that are not a problem until someone gets caught.

7. Brian in Oregon

It would only be a problem if he took the suppressor from my immediate supervision. Which is not going to happen. So it's not a problem.

Machineguns are commonly rented at machinegun shoots. There is no problem because the machinegun does not leave the supervision of the owner.

If I were to hand my suppressor to Sean, and let him take it hunting, while I stayed home, yes, that would constitute an unlawful transfer and possession without a tax stamp.

As for the photo, I took his gun and put my suppressor on it for photo purposes. The suppressor never left my immediate supervision.

Does that help clarify?

8. 221

Yes, but I was asking based on more of a broader issue than your personal situation. I should have used person A and person B instead of "your".....
    I was looking at it from a , could it happen ....than will it happen to you.

People are issue magnets and given the opportunity to get their rit in a tinger.....they will.

9. Brian in Oregon

If Person A loans Person B his suppressor, and the suppressor is out of his immediate supervision, yes, that is a big problem.

The feds issue a tax stamp to the owner of the suppressor. Only in a very narrow set of circumstances can some other person take temporary possession of the suppressor, and generally that's like a police department issuing it to police officers on official business. There are some other complex issues dealing with corporate tax stamps or trusts, but, for most suppressor ownership by a private citizen, the suppressor in the hands of another person cannot leave his sight.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Brian.2 questons. what operates the action? gas or recoil? Andwhat is the suppressor used for?

As it stheobvious, I know nothing about handguns.

11. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

And may I add to MIA. I am guessing the handgun is a larger calibur and the suppressor will make it sound like a very light sneeze when shot.....

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Brian, You have my attention because that supressor would make plinking in my shop very tolerable noise wise. I wasn't aware of Brownings special run of those, very nice. Bob

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Brian........I've got a Buckmark and the barrel is slab sided if you know what I mean. Other than than that they look identical. What would be the difference between it and your sons? (other than barrel length)

Bill

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Roach, why is this off topic??? I'm not following your thinking process on this. It is shooting related. Bulge.

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Roach hit more than one thread doing the same thing. Look at the time frame he posted, I sure he's drunk again. Pity,,,,,maybe we should get him help.

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Brian ignore the idiots

Buckmarks are some pretty good pistolas, I've got one and have shot it a bunch, the only problem I've ever had was the extracator spring, it wasn't the guns problem, it was my fat fingers, I was cleaning it and put a little too much outward pressure on the extractor, and all the guts fell out, but I was lucky, I caught them all, I went to the domino table and laid them out, was putting it together, a gust of wind blew through the door and blew the spring off the table, about 3 hrs of magnet searching and feeling for it ( damn gravel floor) and all that good stuff couldn't find it, but Brownells had some , I think they were $1.99 each, $7.95 shipping so I bought two incase I ever lose it again, but then I won't be able to find the spare

He'll enjoy the gun!!!!

17. Brian in Oregon

Browning Buckmark Catalog

OK, multiple answers...

The Browning Buckmark pistols are chambered in .22 LR.

The action is blowback. It is hammer operated, but the hammer is concealed inside the slide. The trigger is single action, like a Colt 1911.

I'm mainly using the suppressor for small game and varmint hunting. Not only during those seasons, but while big game hunting I have numerous opportunities at rabbits and squirrels, but don't want to make noise that spooks deer. A suppressed .22 is ideal for this. Another consideration for varmint hunting is that I have tinitus (ringing in the ears) and a suppressor means I don't have to wear ear muffs or plugs all day.

Subsonic ammo cycles just fine in my Buckmark, which is a 5.5" Field model. (I made a thread about it a couple of months ago.) It's out right now being altered to support a suppressor. Sean's Buckmark came from the factory with the barrel already threaded.

Browning makes a very large variety of Buckmarks, 21 in their catalog, not counting who knows how many limited runs. Browning also has about another dozen that are brought in and out of production every couple of years or so, because demand is low for them. (Ruger makes 28 versions of their semi-auto 22 pistol, but a dozen of those are limited run dealer exclusives. S&W makes very few variations of their semi-auto 22 pistols.)

The Buckmarks generally come in 4", 5.5" (like Sean's), 7.5" and from time to time 9-7/8". These come in a wide variety of shapes, slab sided, bull, tapered bull, fluted, and a new type called a contour barrel. Material is carbon steel, stainless steel, or an aluminum barrel with steel liner. On top of that, some of the bull barrel models like the Field, Target, Silhouette and Varmint have full length ribs for optics. (Note the latter three are currently not offered in this production cycle, but the Field is.)

Frames are CNC machines from aluminum. Most are anodized black or silver, but there are some models with different colors. There are currently two different frames. A standard frame, with rubberized or wood grips, and the UDX/RDX frames, which have finger grooves on the front. Grips for the two frames are NOT interchangeable. If you get the finger groove frame, be sure it fits and feels good, because you're stuck with it.

Parts are readily available from Midway, Midwest Gun Works, and others. If someone wanted to tinker with their Buckmark, quite a bit of customizing parts are available. For example, if someone wanted to upgrade to the target trigger and its spring, it's simply a matter of ordering them and installing. The gun is simple to work on. As noted in another post, parts can fall out, like when you remove the grips. I'm going to make a small field kit for Sean and I, and it shouldn't cost more than a $20 to have a pile of small parts. Note that if all you are doing is parts changing, you do not need to be a gunsmith and you do not need machine tools. Everything can be done with simple, common hand tools.

Buckmarks are reliable and accurate. About the only bad thing that can be said is that they CANNOT be dry fired, though if someone wanted to fill a magazine with dummy plastic .22 cartridges, that would probably work. I installed a 3x rifle scope on my Buckmark and was easily picking off eggs offhand at 75 yards. (I have not found a handgun scope yet with the eye relief I need. I want shorter eye relief than most handgun scopes have.)

Tactical Solutions (also know as Tac-Sol) makes accessory barrels for the Buckmarks that are made from aluminum with steel sleeves. These are all a bull barrel configuration in various barrel lengths, some are fluted, and some are threaded for a suppressor. These have a reputation for accuracy, plus they are light weight.

There are several companies that will thread most of the Buckmark factory barrels and set the front sight back. My Buckmark is currently at Tornado Technologies being threaded and altered.

Prices span a wide range, but there is a Buckmark for almost every budget.

BTW, though I've posted it here before, here's my Buckmark 5.5" Field model, which is the same as the discontinued Target model, except for the type of front sight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. justanother99

justanother99 Member

Never mind the comments from Roach...he has nothing better to do and all day to get there. My comment to him...GET A LIFE!

Brian...

Thank you for sharing...very cool!

Mark

19. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Congratulations to your son on exercising his right to buy a handgun since he turned 21. How stupid is it that an 18 year old can join the Marines, Army, etc., go to war and fight and possibly die for his country, and vote, but yet he (or she) can't buy a handgun until they are 21???

20. Brian in Oregon

Vern, yes. Machineguns, suppressors, "sawed off shotguns", short barreled rifles and other firearms falling under the purview of the 1934 National Firearms Act must have a tax stamp issued to the owner.

First, to own any of these, they must be legal in your state. About 2/3rds of the states allow some or all of them.

Second, you have to have your application approved by the local CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer), usually a chief of police, the sheriff, or their designated alternative acting in their name. This has been a bottleneck and a source of frustration, as some play games and refuse to sign the forms. There are ways around this, however. In my county, the sheriff runs his own background check on you before signing.

Third, you have to send BATF a couple of fingerprints cards, two passport photos, an application, and the appropriate amount for the tax stamp, which is generally $200.

Fourth, BATF then processes the paperwork and does a background check. This process can take as little as a month, or may run as long as six months. I believe they try to get them done in 45 to 60 days, and most fall into that timeline.

Once the tax stamped form is back, you can then take possession of your NFA item. Note that you must have already paid for your suppressor, or whatever, because the serial number had to be furnished in the paperwork.

The original paperwork cannot be replaced. So you need to protect it. I make photo copies and laminate them. I also make miniature wallet size laminated versions to carry with me. Here's a sticky point. A law enforcement officer may ask to see your tax stamp. Technically this is a tax issue between you and the federal government, and technically they cannot ask to see tax paperwork. I know some people who have refused and have gotten away with it. On the other hand, I don't want any hassle, which is why I made the wallet cards.

Also, you cannot take your NFA device across state lines without written approval from BATF.

The tax stamp is good for life. Your heirs can have the item transferred to them without paying the tax stamp, but the paperwork must be processed. (There is a vehicle called a trust that gets around this, but is complex.)

My suppressor took six months for approval, so I missed most of the varmint season with it. Only got to take it on one trip.

BTW, at the same time I also applied for a tax stamp for an "AOW" (Any Other Weapon). This is kind of a catch all category. It covers things like shot pistols. For example, Mossberg makes a Model 500 shot pistol. It's a pistol grip shotgun with less than a 14" barrel. If you were to make it yourself, the tax stamp is $200. If the factory makes it, the tax stamp is $5 for an AOW. In this case I wanted to add a vertical foregrip to my Kel-Tech PLR-16 .223 semi-auto pistol. When I was having the suppressor paperwork done, I turned my pistol over to friend who has an SOT (Special Occupation Tax), which basically says he is a manufacturer of NFA devices. He then converted my handgun into an AOW, and I did the federal paperwork to have it transferred back to me as an AOW. Thus is cost me $5 instead of $200 for the tax stamp.

[​IMG]

This is what I'm talking about. The mere addition of a vertical forend to this Kel-Tec PLR-16 .223 pistol changes it from a handgun to the NFA category AOW, requiring a tax stamp. Without the tax stamp, doing this would risk a decade in prison and a huge fine.

What good i it? It does help make the gun more controllable for tactical use. I use the PLR-16 for coyote and varmint hunting, though, so the vertical foregrip and even the forend are usually off the gun. Since I could get a tax stamp in this case for $5 and a six month wait, I figured, hey, why not? If the tax stamp had cost me $200 I probably would have passed and used the money for something more useful, like another suppressor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1998 buckmark models

223 pistol that looks like a buck mark

browning buckmark bull barrel

does a browning buckmark require a aow stamp