1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sean in Oregon's free Bronco II

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sean in Oregon

[​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    My mom had no further use for her 1988 Bronco II, and gave it to my son, Sean. This is the "after" pic. It was covered, and I mean covered, with moss and green growy stuff. We had to put a battery in it, but it fired right up and we drove it home. Got a lot of looks, too, because it was pretty nasty looking. Nothing about 30 minutes with the pressure washer couldn't resolve.<br>
    <br>
    It's not perfect. The body is pretty straight, and even the carpeting is OK. The seat upholstery is almost like new. But it needs a tuneup (sometimes "motorboats" when idling). One brake caliper is not fully releasing. And one locking hub won't engage. It has 219,000 on it, but the engine was replaced at 150,000 or so, so it only has 70,000 on it. Oh, and the driver's seat is all screwed up - the inner seat support may be broken on one side. He may have gotten it free, but now he gets to learn what repair costs are all about. And insurance.<br>
    <br>
    We're going to treat it as disposable. Any serious problems and we get rid of it.<br>
    <br>
    BTW, this is my old company truck. When the company turned it back to the leasing company, I was given the opportunity to buy it. I wasn't in a position to get it at the time, but my mom wanted it, so I arranged the sale to her. She's used it for fishing and camping for about 17 years.<br>
    <br>
    And I should have seen this coming....<br>
    <br>
    "Dad, can we replace those street tires with that like new set of big off road tires you have squirrled?"

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Brian- until a couple of weeks ago when I went to Idaho, I had never been west of Michigan. I noticed when I was out there that most of the vehicles appeared to be rust free. This is a very large contrast to NY. I am assuming that the states out there that get snow do not use salt on the roads in winter?

ID. is extremely dry also, which I know will slow down corrosion. But Oregon is very humid isn't it?

Thanks.

3. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Nice bronco but that old early 70's era Chevy behind it really gets me.

4. Brian in Oregon

Oregon does not use salt on the roads, and our rain is pretty much acid free. Eastern Oregon is much drier and really preserves vehicles. The only place we really have a problem is right at the coast, because of the salt laden air during storms and high winds.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    As for the Chevy, it's a 1971. Technically it's a C-20 3/4 ton, but it has 1-ton running gear. If you checked the right options boxes for camper specials, they uprated the running gear, though it uses coil springs instead of leaf springs in the rear. The rear axle is a Eaton, which is stronger than a 14-bolt. I have a Detroit Locker for it, but haven't installed it. Gears are 4.10. The engine is a circa '95 454. I call it a "Ten Footer", because it looks great until you get about 10 feet away. Then you can see the flaws. I don't drive it much. It gets horrific gas mileage - about 6 mpg. Plans are to replace the sgas sucking Holley with a QuadraJet, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I usually use it only to haul heavy loads. Like 3300 lb pallets of stone blocks, which barely compresses the springs. A neighbor just got back from the local auto swap meet and scored a tailgate for it for $40. And for an old 3/4 ton it really hauls. It sure surprises some rice burners.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Brian, I don't know how to tell you this, but Bronco II's were junk. That German 2.9L was an under-powered turd of an engine and the front suspensions and 4x4 system was garbage. I remember dreading every time someone brought one of those things in for service with the usual complaint: "It rides rough" or "I can't keep this thing on the road". They were a MOTHER to align if there was a problem, being that they had their own camber/caster plugs that you had to get just right, or that thing would be all over the road.

Sorry, just not one of my favorites. It does look to be in good shape though.

6. Brian in Oregon

Fortunately I found paperwork showing it had the front suspension completely overhauled shortly before my mom parked it. As for riding rough, dude, I drive a 71 FJ40 Land Cruiser. The Bronco II is a Cadillac compared to that!

7. joehiro

joehiro Member

Brian,

I have a grandson, that would be interested in a project car. remove the xx in my email address

Joe

8. Brian in Oregon

Joe, sorry, it's not for sale.

9. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I do not think Brian was asking for a opinion of what we thought of it, he was just sharing. I had a 86 BroncoII and really liked it bought it with a 100k and sold it with 165k and still pretty strong ( I loved that TURD)Jim Z.

10. Brian in Oregon

Jim, Tron's advice is good, and I'm having the kid read it so he'll see firsthand from a qualified Ford mechanic that the Bronco II front end was not built to be thrashed like we do sturdier 4x4's.

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I don't know about junk Tron he did say it has 219,000 on it. Most vehicles in that era were not thought of a s 250,000 mile vehicles. Except the Landcruisers of coarse. I had a friend in Illinois that hunted from one til two years ago and it had almost 300,000 on it. Not junk in my book but i never worked on them.

12. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Brian have your son enjoy it then save it for O.J. when he gets out of jail. It will only have to go about 15 miles an hour. Post-2

13. Brian in Oregon

We finally were able to dig out the rear seats from my mom's garage, and install them. They're almost like new.<br>
    <br>
    Disassembled the left locking hub and rebuilt it. Works now.<br>
    <br>
    Have a replacement left brake caliper to replace the one that was hanging up and binding. Fortunately the rotor is OK, and the bearings are well packed, so this will be a simple job. Other than trying to get the proper brake hose. All the local stores have right hand hoses in left hand boxes. Go figure. Logically, you'd think therefore the RH box might contain a LH hose. No one had one in stock. If I can find a hose I might have this running again early next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.