1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sealing End of Stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsome, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

What's the best stuff to use to seal the end of a stock so oil won't seep into the grain?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Polyurethane. HMB

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Put the stock in your kitchen oven and set it to 100 degrees. While the stock is warming up, mix up a 50/50 solution of TruOil and Coleman stove fuel.

After the stock is good & warm, take it out of the oven and start slopping on the solution. The warm wood will literally absorb the oil faster than you can put it on.

When finished and no more will be absorbed, wife off excess and let dry a day or so. You'll find that the finish will have been absorbed nearly all the way through the stock!

Also, if TruOil is the finish you plan to use, go ahead and use the sealer concoction on the whole stock. Makes for a great finish!

4. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I would use stove fuel for a thinner. There are any number of thinners on the market that are appropriate for varnish (like TruOil is) and any would prolly be a better choice. The rest of the suggestion is spot on.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

A while ago, I researched exactly this topic pretty deeply with the aim of finding a way to weatherPROOF wood stocks for coastal waterfowl hunting.

The short version is, if you are going to do it RIGHT, you need a "long oil" marine 'spar' (flexible) varnish AND the matching thinner that is formulated for that specific varnish. (sf909 is spot-on)

The 'long oil' varnishes are designed to soak INTO the wood, and not be a top-coat. All varnishes will yellow, some, but many are yellower than others. If your lumber is light, that may be a consideration.

After spending some time with Petitt's technicians - one of whom was a goose and seaduck shooter, and understood the problem - I settled on Pettit Z Spar Captain's EZ Care No. 1016, but lots of others will work the same.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.