1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SE Wisc Optometrist

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3200, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3200

3200 TS Member

Any recommendations for a doctor of optometry in the SE Wisc/Milwaukee metro area that specializes in sports vision? Looking at getting a set of Rx shooting glasses, but really don't want to go to one of the chain stores and get the 'wham, bam, thank you maam.' eye exam. I'd use my regular guy, but he retired since I visited last Oct. Talked to Tom Hoppe at the Wisc State Shoot about optometrists and shooting glasses. He had some good general recommendations, but not an individual eye doctor. Wish I'd had an opportunity to step into the Lehman trailer, but each time I went by they were away.

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Forget finding an optometrist and find a good ophthalmologist.

3. geterdone

geterdone Member

I knew lumper was Tom

4. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

If nobody comes up with a good sports vision optometrist in Wisconsin consider finding a good private practice optometrist/ophthalmologist recommended by friends and family. Many doc's won't have a large selection of shooting glasses but you can take the Rx to someone who specializes in that, as MIA suggested.

Lumper,

You are free to obtain your eyecare from wherever you wish, and I would not say anything bad about optometrists or ophthalmologists as they both work toward the common goal of preserving vision for their patients'. In nearly every state of the US, optometrists treat infections and inflammations of the eye, identify all types of eye diseases for proper referral, remove foreign bodies, and most treat glaucoma. Where the line is drawn is that ophthalmologists perform surgeries and optometrists don't. Likewise most ophthalmologists do not refract (their technicians may)nor do they prefer to do contact lenses. Just thought you'd like to know. As a general statement, I do find that some chain store employed optometrists are employed in a situation that "may" require them to sacrifice a bit of the quality of the exam for the sake of time. Insurance companies with their ever lower payouts per patient are also fueling the problem.

john

5. 3200

3200 TS Member

Thanks John. I guess what I should have asked in the first place was if anyone knew an optometrist/opthalmologist in the SE Wisc area that was also a shooter. By finding a "shooting optometrist" I was hoping that they might have some insight (no pun intended) as to what a shooter's vision requirements are/were as it pertains to color deficiencies, Rx and so on.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

John ... when I was younger I wondered why our family always went to an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist. I was not aware that a few years before my mother had a problem with the optometrist doing something or other with her eye exam and and was referred to an ophthalmologist to do a thorough exam. It took many many years before the children found out that my mother had Multiple Sclerosis but the ophthalmologist saw a problem and sent her to the Mayo Clinic where his thoughts were confirmed and she was diagnosed as having MS.

The ophthalmologist caught it in the very very very early stages in his eye exam ... the optometrist had no clue what he was looking at in his exam but an ophthalmologist knew the neurological signs in the eyes.

You go where you desire but I would rather get my health care from a fully licensed Dr than from general practitioner nurse type.

I would be highly surprised if an ophthalmologist could not give 3200 a sports vision exam far surpassing his needs for shooting glasses.

3200 ... be sure that no matter who you go to let them know what you desire and you should be fine.

7. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

There is very little as far as the refraction that I would do different for a shooter (obviously I do shoot). The important things are to stress to the doctor the importance of your distance clarity. The difference in the fitting of the actual glasses will typically not be done by the doctor either way. If you tilt your head and want the optical center higher in the glasses let them know that (show them the head tilt). Frankly, unless your Rx is on the higher side I don't think it'll make any real difference anyway. Color choices on lenses is a personal thing based on time of day, sunshine etc etc and the doc isn't goint ot be able to help that much with it. Try a bunch of colors yourself, if you can, so you know what you feel gives you the best perception of the target.

Lumper,

I am sorry to hear about the experience that your family had. I won't elaborate on any particular case, except to say that MS may show little to no actual eye problem (unless there is an overt inflammation of the optic nerve). The real key to the diagnosis of MS would have been in listening carefully to the patient's complaints. It may not have happened in this case, but optometrists do that very well.

all the best,
    john

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

It seems that at times neither of us know just WTF we are speaking of and this is one of your times. You know little of what you speak of John ...

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/multiple_sclerosis/multiple_sclerosis.htm

The original optometrist could not find a reason or explain why at times she was having bouts of double vision and crazy variations of colors. In case you do not want to look at the above link I snipped this from it for you ..."Most people experience their first symptoms of MS between the ages of 20 and 40; the initial symptom of MS is often blurred or double vision, red-green color distortion, or even blindness in one eye."

3200 ... see who you desire but as already has been suggested be sure to fully explain to them what you desire in your exam. Any decent optometrist should be able to do the exam.

9. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Lumper,

Very true. But those are overt vision syptoms that would be caught by anyone and recognized as something going on neurologically, even if they didn't recognize exactly what was causing it. It could have just as easily been a brain tumor or stroke with those symptoms. Only extra testing and analysis of patients age etc could help make the distinction. I didn't express my point well, but what I meant to say is that the eye itself would show very little health problem with MS. I won't take this further with you as I know you have strong feelings about this and rightfully so. I do wonder however, if the optometrist actually referred your mom for further testing with the ophthalmologist.

all the best,
    john

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yes ... and she was referred to what later was found out from the Doctors at the Mayo Clinic that ophthalmologist was considered to be one of if not the best in the state of Minnesota at the time.

BTW ... what size tap shoes are you wearing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.