1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SD shooter John Bracken

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SD Trap Family, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

We lost a great trapshooter yesterday morning. John Bracken of Rapid City passed away after a long battle with failing health.
    John was a great friend, coach and shooter. John coached the Rapid City SD SCTP team that won the national championship a few years back.
    He was an awesome mentor to my sons, Foster and Matt and it was a true priviledge to have gotten to know him. John was always there to give them advice and to encourage them to keep on keeping on! Even when his health got so bad that he couldn't come to the trap club to watch them, he was on the phone with me to pass on his advice.
    We were very blessed to have him in our lives and he will always hold a special place in our hearts.
    Please email me if you would like details of funeral arrangements.

Char Bartholow

2. SD Trap Family

3. SD Trap Family

4. Butler

Butler TS Member

sorry to heat about that, I'm in arizona and probably won't make it back to attend the funeral, condolonces to the family, from Jim and Mary Lou Butler

5. Terry

Terry TS Member

Char, please pass on our condolences to the Bracken family. I had the honor to shoot with him and Floyd a few times in Rapid. How is Floyd doing?

Best wishes to the Bartholow family for 2010. See you in Spearfish or Rapid.

6. SD Trap Family

I will pass on your condolences. I'm sorry to say that Floyd Stolz also passed away this past year. He too had been very ill.

We are losing too many great trapshooters~ they just don't make 'em like that anymore.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You can mail cards to Helen Bracken, 2402 5th Street, Rapid City, SD 57701.

John, Andy Meier, Tom O'Meara, and Jim Tobin all of Rapid City started the Rushmore Trap Club in 1973 at its present location on S Hwy 79, south of the city following the closure of the Ike's Shooting Range, north of town.

It was later sold to about ten guys that should have never been in the club management business – later they went bankrupt.

Lloyd Byram, a local gunsmith got it and then, John Bracken, Roger Sorenson, Jim Comet, Bob Gallant and I got the paperwork and bought it from Lloyd's ex-wife in 1983. I did the corporate paperwork to form it as the Rapid City Trap Club. It is now a 501(c)3 not-for-profit club.

We then turned it over to the membership as a member owned club that it remains today.

John was a man of a few words and if you needed some "telling" he did not mix words. One thing about John is that he was black and white; you knew exactly where you stood with him. John coached the youth shooters for several years and accompanied them to Vandalia where they won several events.

John, Helen and I were friends from the first day I started shooting trap in 1974. He was a terrific shooter, and in fact our club had a tremendous number of 27 yarders, probably why many of us mastered the sport quickly. John was a great mentor to many.

John and Andy Meier were always there to show us how it was done. John's present wife, Helen, is a dear and I now wonder how she will get along without him. She often followed him down the line. I always liked Helen.

My deepest condolences go to John's family and extended family. I even had the pleasure in teaching a couple of his step children in my math classes. Bright kids.

Whiz White

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sorry to read of this gentleman's passing. Very nice thread by Whiz. Dave Bishop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.