1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SD Pheasant Hunting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by just-an-ace, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just-an-ace

just-an-ace TS Member

I'm heading to Lyman Co. SD last week in October, and would like some info
    on pheasant population, and advice on gun selection. I'm partial to my
    Beretta 686 20 ga. with 3" ammo, but wondering if a 12 ga. would be a better choice.

Thanks for your input.

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I haven't been in several years (4, I think), but I love the Benelli Super 90. I took that and bought some Federal shells there. Can't remember what shells they were, but they were 5's and hot!

Matt

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Opening day in SD is like fishing in remote lakes and streams in British Colombia in June for trout. The only thing you have to do is have a hook on and a line in the water. You will kill your three bird limit every day in less than an hour. Take a 20 gauge. Have some fun. Jake

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I hunted in SD for years with a 3" 20 ga #4's fiochi shells. Birds will drop dead while your buddies with the 12's and 1 oz's birds will run like hell. When you clean your birds you will rarely find any shot in the meat. The 3" #4's will pass completely through the bird. I have shot hundreds this way, Yes, there are a lot of birds and you will limit out fast ( the first few days, then they get smart and the shots get farther away)

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

As other posters indicated the 3" lead 20 gauge isn't a very good performer, I never could get good patterns. A heavy field load 2 3/4" shell with 1 Oz #5 will make the most out of your 20 guage 686. Shoot at the beak. (those big tails are way too distracting)

Check the regulations for where you are hunting in South Dakota, you may need to use non-toxic shot. (not lead) If that's the case you may want to rethink the 20 gauge.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I killed my limit 4 days in a row last winter in SD near Corsica, with an old Savage-Stevens side-by-side double trigger gun with fixed IC/Mod using 2-3/4 inch 1 ounce number 5 shot Remington pheasant loads at 1220 fps.

Thoug I agree with the above posters, the faster Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads or the Remington Nitro Pheasant loads are plenty.

Tim

7. jackw

jackw Member

I've hunted near Kimbal SD for over 10 years. I always hunt 3rd weekend. By then the birds are getting smarter and flush at longer ranges. I always use Remington 2 3/4 mags in 1 1/4 #4s. It will drop those long birds and there is never any shot left in the birds. Goes right through them. I normally hunt with my SxS mod and full. If you have a close flush just let them fly out a little before you pull the trigger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.