1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SD Pheasant Hunting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jawari2000, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Any information/updates on SD Pheasants from those that have already started hunting in SD would be appreciated. Whiz usually posts a few pics too!

Headed out there next week, I will update upon my return from SD.

Just to ensure that this thread is appropriately categorized, I will ask about the merits of 7.5 versus 8's. There you go.

2. LostPostOne

LostPostOne TS Member

We had a party of 20 hunt Saturday and Sunday. We killed 120 roosters. Saturday it was a little work but Sunday with better shooting we were done by 330.

I used 5's.

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

In Presho area, west of the river, we are not seeing anywhere near our usual numbers. Our group of six came up short yesterday but got our limit today. Just finished.

Outfitter blames very poor survival of this year's hatch on the drought.

4. handlepuller

We're still having fun though btw. I'm eating extra to make up for the decrease in birds!

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Pheasant population was up 18% across the state. We hunted in Pierre area dn had a great shoot. Lot of birds

6. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

LostPostOne, the 7.5 versus 8 discussion was for trap shooting, for the SD wild pheasants I like copper plated #6 and change to #5 in late season.

7. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lots of birds. Some areas, as usual in South Dakota, have been affected by the weather. In this case it was the drought. Been talking with friends around the State and reports have been spotty.

Heading up to Pierre again this weekend, and next, and next and......

Geese will be showing up soon in Central SD so we will be decoying them as well.

Sounds like some good reports thus far.

WHIZ, any updates.

Bud
    roadwarrior_2009_110841.jpg

8. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

Hunted South Dakota this last weekend......public and on a buddys farm and very few birds. Six guys all day Sat, for 3 birds and 3 of us Sun for 2 birds.

Aaron Holguin

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

No birds in the Plankinton areas. All the crops are and have been out. Add to that the drought, and the birds are practially gone.

Our crew got 2 on Saturday. Normally we are around 60. I never pulled the trigger once on Saturday and three shots on Sunday. Some of the gang drove to Kimball (west) and were extremely successful road hunting in the late afternoons.

I was the oldest and all we hunted were the weed patches and creek beds. Was a killer on me and other as we really pushed ourselves with little success. We did see a few roosters on Sunday, but the wind and airborne dirt was really hard on the eyes.

I won't go this week-end as most of the guys are not going either.

Hopefully it will improve next year...if they get moisture.

The farm also just bought 7 brand new John Deere 9260's and a couple smaller ones just for mowing. This can give you an idea of the size of the operation. There isn't much to mow this year. I do have some great photos ... of the tractors!

Whiz

10. RickN

RickN Banned User Banned

What is a JD 9260?

11. dls guide

dls guide Member

JD 9260= A big green 400 hp tractor.

12. titan79

titan79 Member

Saturday opener in Kimball was a bit of work. We saw 10 hens for each rooster in one field, so at least there was a good hatch and hope for next year. Sunday was much, much better. Monday was warm and humid but the birds still flew. Potholes are powder dry and the cattails were stunted. Fireweed grew well and consistently held the birds. If you find water, you'll find birds.

13. handlepuller

We ended up getting limits on Wednesday and Thursday after coming up a little short Tuesday. Saw tons of hens, so if they have a good hatch next year it seems like the population should rebound well.

The thing about a SD hunt is that, once you start doing it, it becomes part of your annual fall routine. We saw few birds I suppose, but we still had fun with each other, got to re-connect with our outfitter, see the countryside and all the other good stuff too.

I'll keep going as long as I'm able is the bottom line.

(Handlepuller is 3rd from the left!)

14. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

Just got back from Aberdene SD . Bird count up 40 % from a year ago. Group of 15 shot our
    Limit both days we hunted, done by 4:00. 5's work well, the group only lost 2 birds. Limit is 3 per person per day.

15. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Took 3 shooters from Michigan through my sloughs this morning. We got 3 birds
    in an hour and a half. I live west of Watertown and have a contract with my
    renter that he can not dig up sloughs. Most farmers in area have dug up sloughs
    and are tiling, the swampbuster act used to prevent this (not sure why it doesn't now). Farmers have had great crops and prices the last several years,
    I told mine to leave the sloughs, we are making good money. Drained cattail
    sloughs are marginal anyway for raising crops. Gary Owen

16. handlepuller

That's a great picture David. Hard to beat that in life!

17. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Returned from SD over the weekend. We managed to hunt the birds on public land, roadsides, and some private land. However, there were many in the motel who were not seeing birds. Here are two birds that I got in a double during the two hours of hunting on my last day.
    jawari2000_2008_030312.jpg

18. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Here are some Copper got Friday in Wyoming, NY.

jonreitz_2008_030364.jpg

19. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Kansas opens Saturday. Last year I did not fire a shot. This year is not promising. Ron

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Miss pheasant hunting.

:-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.