1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SCTP: What are you paying for targets?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OleBlue2, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OleBlue2

OleBlue2 TS Member

Hello I am a coach for a couple of SCTP teams and I am wondering what you all are paying for practice at your local club?
    I am also interested if you were or made a package deal with your club.[ pay extra for practice and the club pays for state or grand?}
    I would appreciate any help on this and /or input.
    Thank you Bill

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why do you ask? Do you think your being charged to much? How much are you paying? Are you looking for free targets and also some free ammunition as well?

Come on now ... there are reasons why your asking and some of us need to know those reasons before we answer.

3. OleBlue2

OleBlue2 TS Member

I am trying to see if there is a better way, than getting sponsors to pay for targets, shells or getting them to pay for the entry fees to the state shoot and /or the grand.
    I have talked to some coaches and they have been donated a pallet of targets yet still had to pay a fee to throw them.
    I have done the math and the club usually makes money off the sctp team. If it be from shells, ata shoots or extra practice, and dad and mom shooting and in some cases relatives come on over and shoot.
    I just am looking for some good ideas and/or opinions to keep the kids shooting with rising costs and also give something back to the host club.

There are some chances for some good sponsorships out there for sctp and yes it would be nice if more shooters would help out to keep the kids shooting,ie[shells targets sponsor a kid to the grand or the state]. I also think the kids do need to work for it or it does mean nothing to some of them.
    Well this is a little windy so I am stopping here, hope you understand what I am trying to acomplish here. Thanks Bill

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Clubs (and members) need to decide if they wish to support this activity.

Some seem dead set against the whole concept, and if they can't afford it they should not shoot.

Some of these kids in twenty years will be running clubs or on town boards deciding the future of clubs.

An easy change to club rules to allow those in the program to shoot well below what is charged to regular members or guest. Should they get a free ride from the club, no, but $.50 off a round is not very much and does not sound like it was given much thought.

What is the harm to allow such shooters to shoot for what it cost for the clubs to purchase targets, and if donated, then charged nothing?

It's not like we see kids in any great numbers running down to the club each week to shoot.

I've been to shoots where the kids were working and also seen the kids running a raffle.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know having children in this world is a choice that the parents made. Letting those children shoot is a choice the parents and those your asking to give them a break need to make as well ... I personally dont like it when I am asked to give a break to another persons choices. I have no children and I hate that my taxes pay to support things for children that I have no choice over.

SCTP programs should be run to be self sufficient. Teaching the kids how to shoot is one thing but teaching them to be self sustaining human beings responsible to pay there own bills and ways in life should also be part of the program as well ... giving them a half a buck or a buck off a round is one thing but asking for anything more is just point blank greedy. Take whatever they offer but how dare anyone begin asking for more ... just be lucky that when you ask for more they dont ask you to leave and take your freeloading kid program with you as well.

They are the future of the sport along with the future of our country and that is what scares the hell out of most adults ... knowing that our future is a bunch of freeloadin wantin everything for nuthin group of people.

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

despite lumper's limited world view there are some folks out there in the shooting world that openly and willingly give of their time and money to support youth shooting. coon creek trap club is one of them. the sctp kids get $1 off per round and they shoot a LOT of rounds so it adds up over the course of a year. in the days before the old sacramento trap club closed the kids shot for $3 and their ammo for SCTP events was free, what a deal that is (all thanks to a generous sponsor)! at el dorado rod & gun club the kids shoot for $2 all the time - now that is a deal!

the other thing to consider is ATA and PITA registered events. out here in the california the kids shoot for 1/2 price if they don't play any options and that makes for a very affordable day of shooting, it's the cheapest practice they can find and it's in a competitive environment so a double benefit.

7. vanman

vanman TS Member

Oleblue2,

I emailed you.

Van

8. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Lumper wouldn't be giving you any crap if he had any notion what a bad ass you are. Bill it boils down to this, some of us are willing to do whatever is necessary for our kids to particpate in a lifetime sport. It's pretty easy for some to come up with a lot of reasons not to support a kid's shooting program. Unfortunatly, too many people are too selfish to help a kid out, either with their time or money. The biggest outside financial assistance our program has received came from shooters who donated anonimously. We are grateful for what support we receive, but we're not counting it.
    Dan King

9. joe scout

joe scout Member

The Capitol City Gun Club in Carson City Nevada is doing something a little unique. They are letting their SCTP kids pick up the unbroken targets on Friday evening,their practice day and letting them shoot the reclaimed targets for their efforts.It's seems to be working well,of course there are a few more broken targets then normal.

The Nevada Sporting Clays Association donated 10 cases of 12ga ammo to the SCTP kids for the Nevada State Trapshoot. We held a Sporting Clays shoot to help raise money for all youth shooting in Nevada.

Hold a Trapshoot for the kids get some donated prizes and charge a few bucks extra for the entry fees, you would be surprised how much money can be raised when
    there is youth involved.

Joe Winnicki, President of the NV.Sp.Clays Association

10. OleBlue2

OleBlue2 TS Member

I am sorry i have not got back to you all sooner. I do appreciate all your input and opinions. I have seen and realize there has to be a commitment and ownership to the team by the kids particpating.
    I appreciate the ideas and comments you gave me and was able to come up with a good program with my host club that benefitted all.
    We will pay 4.50/25rd , schedule 12/50 bird practices and club pays for the state and grand fees for the kids. This way kids pay up front for the state and Grand fees.
    This is their commitment end,and they will be expected to attend the state and grand shoot. Any sponsorships we obtain and fund raisers will help in the cost of shells,team shirts,and trophy's.
    We hope to have a jamboree which will also help out the club with target sales.
    If it works like it does on paper a end of year banquet for the team and a new year begins.
    My best friend who is my mentor/pastor has always told me to Dream so big you need Gods help to get it done. So here we go.
    Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. Bill C.

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bill, A thought that I have had, is that all of the clubs in our area have problems staffing the fields for their registered shoots.You would think that the youth shooters would be a great source for help and they could make some money that would help defray their own shooting expense. For some reason the kids in our area don't seem to have an interest in working the shoots. Too bad, as I think that it would help them in many ways to have that type of exposure. Oh well, just modern day America I guess. Shoot well, Bob H.

12. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Hello Bill how did Katie end up at the Grand? I was hot, hot hot, from the heat that is... We even came home a bit early. Our SCTP participants pay $2.00/round which is a deal. Our secretary did an analysis and it was costing us $2.68/round for 25 targets. So they absorb some of the cost. As you know I got my own funds through fundraisers etc to help defray costs. Let me know if you need anything. Are you coming up to the northern zone shoot? Send Katie along if you are not! See you on the trapline, Rick Gibbs

13. Paramedic909

Paramedic909 TS Member

You could run your shoots through your local 4-H clubs.They will usually get
    discounts for being taxed exempt. Remington offers a program for kids and there is a discount for shells,I have used them through our 4-H.Alot of help
    out there for kids shooting if you just look.If your local gun club is tax exempt they could help.We help our kids financially as much as possible,they are our future shooters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.