1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SCTP Nationals...who's going?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roger8918, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I'm taking 9 Mason-Dixon shooters to the SCTP Nationals. Who else is going?

2. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Gateway Gun Club Youth Shooters from Bridgeton, Missouri will have 3 full squads and 2 Rookies going. Can't wait!! This is what we have been practicing and training for since January.

We will also be attending the AIM Nationals at Sparta August 6 and 7.

3. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

266 squads are registered for trap alone. Turnout looks to be a little stronger than last year with over 1600 young athletes participating.

I'm fairly confident things will be much smoother this year with the changes at the SCTP since last year's finals fiasco.

Scoring will be "almost live" at: www.shooterspost.com

Unfortunately I've used my vacation and won't be attending this year.

SW

4. kfen

kfen Member

I thought that after last year’s fiasco they were going back to the top sq. for the High school div. and not the 5 top shooters. This is a Major advantage to the 40+ shooter teams as opposed to the small 5 and 10 shooter teams. I do not understand why they Slant the rules to highly favor the larger teams. We will be take 2 senor div squads.

5. StonewallRacing

Ken, unless I am mistaken... the top-5 trap and top 3 skeet & sporting are only for the HOA awards and only for the Senior division...

All of the traditional category awards are by 3 or 5 person squads as they were years prior to the fiasco last year.

SW

6. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

HOA High School Team First -Third
    Winner determined by combined scores from the top five (5) Trap Team Shooters, top three (3) Skeet Team Shooters and top three (3) Sporting Clays Team Shooters from the same High School Team—Senior Division only.
    (The above came straight from the 2012 SCTP program)

So, the above means???
    Intermediate Entry, Intermediate Advanced, Junior Varsity divisions will be determined by 5 person squads scores only? Just the Varsity shooters will be picking and choosing from as many varsity shooters as they bring to make the best score possible? Clear as Mud!

7. roger8918

roger8918 Member

After rereading the National Championship Program kfen is correct, it looks like the SCTP will only be awarding HOA to Senior Division High School Teams (Varsity & Junior Varsity).

Also, there is only one 40+ shooter team...the Burlington High School Demons.

8. StonewallRacing

Pull-it, it's really very clear.

The HOA is an additional award for High School teams only in addition to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd in Varsity, JV, Int Adv, Int Ent, and Rookie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for low quality jpgs....

SW

9. kfen

kfen Member

Stonewallracing if I am not mistaken they have always had the High school div. But just last year they changed it to top 5 shooters on the team and not top Sq. So it is not a new catagory.

10. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Spolar Power Load and Hodgdon Powder will be there.
    Dicksie

11. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Two years ago, the coaches hand picked their HOA shooters from their team roster prior to any events being shooting. The HOA shooters did not need to shoot on the same squad and the teams did not need to be affiliated with a High School to enter the HOA.

12. StonewallRacing

What a difference a year makes... Organized and on time even with two team shoot-offs!

There were HOA awards in both CLUB and HIGH SCHOOL with scores based on Top-five trap, top-three Skeet & top-three Sporting.

Separate SQUAD awards for all categories: Rookie, IE, IA, JV, VAR, Collegiate, and High School first through third.

The ShootersPost.com scoring worked perfectly and the awards went off without a hitch.

1557 athletes including 1227 in Trap, there was one 200 by Kyler Ainley from TN.

Fantastic shoof and a huge thanks to the Potterfield's and Midway USA for all the endowment awards.

SW

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Great to hear. Now I would like to see them get the targets Registered with the ATA again.

14. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

We had a wonderful time. Weather on Friday and Saturday was unbelieveable for Sparta, especially this summe.

Shooterspost.com was remarkable. Wonderful way to keep up on shooters and scores!!!

Tequilas Mexican Restaurant in Sparta, (across the road from Wally-World)was once again a favorite spot on Sunday. We walked in with 40 shooters, parents and coaches, and they took great care in serving us with wonderful, reasonably priced food with great service. They have become a tradition for us on the last day of Nationals.

The added Potterfield moey was a pleasant surprise. All teams with Midway Foundation accounts recieve $3000 in their trust funds , just for registering for the tournament!!

Speaking of Potterfield, I wonder why the ATA hasn't moved on the offer Potterfield and his Midway Foundation made to them for their youth programs.
    It was quite a lot of money. ( 8-10 MILLION DOLLARS)

15. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Our squads were all scheduled to shoot at 12:30 both days. We figured that meant 1:00 or 1:30 real time. NO, Both days the squad I was "watching" as there was to be no Coaching between rounds, was on the field shooting at 12:10, a full 20 minutes ahead of schedule.

The entire trap program was smooth as silk for us. We had great weather, Shooterspost.com was unbelievable, our kids shot well and we actually left before dark and stayed for the entire award ceremony.

Great Job!! SCTP.

Hope the AIM shoot goes as smooth in a couple of weeks.

16. k810329

k810329 Member

unfortunately i didnt get to attend but my wife and son went without me.our varsity team jefferson county patriots (tn) took top honors and it was my understanding that we also took hoa team honors.my wife said it ran so much smoother than last year.

on a side note.my wife said that there was a lot of talk from other teams about moving the nationals to san antonio next year.just curious if anyone else heard anything about this.

17. wingmaster78

I heard something about it. Did not hear much.

90 minutes away is way better than 15 hours. I know Illinois is not perfect but it is a hell of a lot closer than Texas and more centrally located for everyone.

18. wingmaster78

On the Texas thing.

They ran 1200 or so Trapshooting kids through 100 targets apiece, starting at 8:00 in the morning and the last flighs were at 12:30 in the afternoon, 2 days in a row.

Can they do that in Texas??? I doubt it.

19. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

The SCTP has fixed the problem from last year and as far as I could tell in the 3 days I spent at Sparta last week, they did an outstanding job.

Now if the ATA could fix the AIM program as well.

Move the SCTP Nationals to San Antonio. God I hope not. That in my opinion would be a huge mistake. Sparta is more centrally located than Texas.

Sounds to me like the ATA may have started this rumor because it's not being held in Vandalia. LOL

20. wingmaster78

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.