1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SCTP INFO

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by katies682golde, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katies682golde

katies682golde TS Member

To: Jim Thompson
    Subject:
    SCTP and The GRAND

Dear Mr. Thompson,

As a SCTP Head Coach , USA Level II shooting coach, ATA Coach I am concerned
    about the recent move of the SCTP away from Grand week at Sparta. Since nobody
    is really talking about why this happened, would you be willing to answer
    several questions for me ?

Why do we need two programs competing for the kids , why not combine efforts to
    make sure that we reach as many kids as possible ?

Why are we making the vendors life harder by splitting the weeks at Sparta when
    we need to help them as much as possible ? They are making half of their sales
    at the Grand and the other half during SCTP , during these challenging economic
    times you are making them waste money needlessly.

Sincerely

John

Hi John, and thanks for the question. Here's the short answer as to why we
    have two programs. Mr. Christy would not commit to registering targets or
    requiring ATA memberships for his organization beyond 2009 and we sensed he
    might be taking his new organization in a different direction away from the
    relationship we enjoyed with the NSSF. We've been silent about our
    discussions with Mr. Christy as I thought we were still in the planning and
    scheduling phase for 2009.

Since the date change was made by Mr. Christy and his SSSF association I
    suggest he is the only one who can answer that question. Mr. Christy and the
    SSSF have not
    given us any insight as to their plans in fact we invited them to
    continue the SCTP program at the Grand American as last year with a willingness
    for some flexibility if they wanted to make modifications. I only learned of
    SSSF moving their shoot away from the Grand period after seeing the dates on a
    camping form from the IDNR! We have not been notified of this change or given
    any reason for it by Mr. Christy on the SSSF. I too am frustrated and somewhat
    disappointed with this change as well as the lack of communication from the SSSF
    organization. However, it's their program and it was their choice.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Thompson
    Executive Director
    Amateur Trapshooting Association
    601 West National Road
    Vandalia, OH 45377

mailto:jthompson@Shootata.com

Phone: (937) 898-4638 Ext.523
    Fax: (937) 898-5472

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

That's at least one side of the story.

There is another side.

Don't believe everything you read posted to public forums like this one.

3. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

How come we can't leave politics out of the kids programs?

BR1

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

To ffwildcat:

Well......don"t keep us in suspense.......You seem to know the another side.

What is it? Enquiring minds want to know.

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Well I am definitely not happy about hearing this...I am an SCTP shooter and I had plans of shooting at Nationals again this year and to stay a couple days after and shoot some registered targets in the actual Grand...But it's looking like that's not going to happen as I am not making 2 trips there and back...I'll have to voice my concern to the SSSF it sounds like. Josh

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

hey josh- tell me what appeals to you about sctp? it is team only driven- you have to have 5 youth shooters and THEIR parents committed long in advance and if one individual has a bad day-then you get NO individual recognition?!from your perspective as apperantly a youth- what does registered rocks do for you and again, what is so great about sctp? by the way- i have personnaly spoken to mr christy( last year) and i think he has more insight then we've creditted him!

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If anyone wants to mess up a kids program (doesn't matter which) just add a self-serving adult....

Curt

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Josh, can you switch to AIM? I have following this and frankly, it can get confusing.

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

What about SCTP appeals to me? Well, the fact that my school allows me to letter in it. It's a "sport" I actually have interest in competing in, as I lost interest in football when it became way more competitive than I wanted anything to do with in 10th grade. It is a sport where I excel. Plus it's free targets, which it can't get any better than that. Oh, AND it gives me a chance to shoot with my friends from school rather than the older crowd I shoot with at my Izaak Walton League. Any other questions? Thanks, Josh.

10. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

as a seasoned sctp participant- what does shooting "registered" rocks mean to you as a youth shooter?

11. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Shooting registered as in ATA? Well, I enjoy the fact that I can excel in it. You can shoot as much practice as you want, but you aren't recognized for it, you can't win anything, you can't gain yardage and you're just shooting with no real goals. If there is something to shoot for, I am willing to pay a couple of bucks to compete in it. Thanks, Josh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.