1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Screws

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by InsureGuy, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

I've got a project of sizable proportion that I am about to undertake and I wanted to assemble everything using screws instead of nails. I've done a similar projects before and using screws was really very easy and saved a great deal of hassle later when I went to update and add on. I just had to unscrew the o/s board and make the changes.

The real reason for the post is that I had to buy upwards of 17 pounds of phosoporus coated screws in 3' and 1 1/4 length. I went to lowes and stood there for more than 20 minues looking at the various types of offerings. All of the overstock was above my head and having found what I was looking for I noticed thing. NEARLY ALL THE SCREWS THAT THEY SELL ARE MANUFACTURED IN TAIWAN.

Has it really come to this, that we cannot sell anything made in the US today ? I am ashamed that we have allowed ourselves to be lulled into this deep sleep over the last 25 years. You wake up one day and you simply cannot buy "Made in America" any more. I was talking with a friend of mine about this problem and he told me that Menards sells screws made in Wisconsin. I'm going there next. Maybe, just maybe I might be able to help some guy keep his house and benefits.

Jason,

Just in case your wondering, I am driving a ford, chev and Chrysler product.

2. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Yes, it has come to this.
    I am a contractor that does a lot of Federal Government and Military work. Last year, while doing a project at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, we were under the "Buy America" act on all material and supplies.
    The "Buy America" act is a joke. I had the same problem with screws. We were using lumber that required a specific screw so that the treatment would not let the screw deteriorate over time.
    After many hours of searching websites for suppliers, it came to my attention that all screws were pretty much made in Taiwan.
    The act states that items or supplies could come from any country that belonged to NAFTA or The World Trade Organization and would satisfy the demands of the act.
    Just this spring, Home Depot was fined for supplying material to a military project that did not meet the requirement of the act. It was amazing the number of people that shouted that everyone should boycott Home Depot.These same people still shop at Wal-mart though.

3. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Did you know you're Ford,Chevy and Gm products are made in Canada,Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Malaysia, Vietnam and Argentina

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

But their profits are included the Gross National Product of the United States, not some foreign nation like if you buy a Toyota or similar purchase.

5. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Amazing isn't it? The GM plant in Shreveport LA had to shut down for a few days when the earthquake hit Japan this spring. Reason? They didn'y have enough parts in stock to keep running.
    Unbelievable the way this country has sold itself out, Thankis to all our politicians.
    VOTE THEM ALL OUT 2012!!!
    Republicans and Democrats alike

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

look at their nails. they have pallets of nails made in china. i still don't get how you can ship a box of nails half way around the world and still make 50% profit on it

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I had to buy some roofing nails a few months ago, couldn't believe they were made in China. Like you quartering I wondered how in the hell can they ship these things all the way over here. Nails! I'm sure they are not made by hand, so how in the hell can the machine that made nails here cost more than the machine or even the slave labor kids made nails in China?

8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

U.S.A. Screws?...............more like Screwed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.