1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Screwdrivers Gunsmiting

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 50 PLUS, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50 PLUS

50 PLUS TS Member

Whats a good brand of screwdrives for working on guns? For fit etc, Also allen wrenches. Thanks.

2. 3357

3357 Member

Brownells.

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Yep, Brownells.

Allen

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Brownells....some of the best things I ever bought with the dollar spent. Get yourself the set of torx bits too!

5. Phillip's Gunsmithing

Phillip's Gunsmithing Member

Galazan has some very nice turn screw sets for sale. They are not cheap but they are very good. The web site is above.

One of them is a London Best set of 12 for 200.00 and the other is Hardstahl set of 20 for 195.00 this set is on sale regular 395.00

Phillip

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Brownells makes a "thin bit" kit that is needed for most European guns.

A good addition to any set.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bit-sets/magna-tip-thin-bit-set-prod44342.aspx

You'll need to cut and paste.

7. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

My first set were ground by me as needed Then used forster/bonanza Then brownells (hard to beat Brownells for service and support) A friend of mine is using a set from wheeler and likes them so far

8. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Again, Brownell's. Don't get the cheapos from Midway and other places, you will be sorry. You get what you pay for!

Cheers,

George

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I ordered the hardstahl set from Galazans, thx Phillip for the tip. Thats a great deal on a prof set. I have a set of Chapans that O got from Brownells about 40 years ago at least

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Brownells for screwdrivers. My Magna-Tip quit "magna-ing" after 15 years and when I emailed them, they sent me a new handle (lifetime warranty) free of charge. If you have a specific gun type you work on, call them and ask for the "screwdriver guy" and he'll make sure your set comes with the correct style bits.

Bondhus for allen wrenches. I prefer the ball-end style. A set of T-handles comes in handy too. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Hollow ground. For some guns you will even need to thin the blades on the hollow ground.

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Before using the thin blade tips. shorten the length of the thin portion then regrind.

Most of the S/Ss I work on have very narrow screw slots and if you attempt to loosen their very tight screws, you'll break every bit in the box. The hollow grind should be half the length of those coming from Brownells.

"My Magna-Tip quit "magna-ing" after 15 years".....mine is 33yrs old and still "magnas" very well.

Doug

13. 50 PLUS

50 PLUS TS Member

Thanks alot good information here.

14. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

Those wheeler screwdrivers form Midway are fine. I have not messed up one tip, and I have used them a bunch. You still need the thin bits from Brownell's for shotguns. Forsters are not that bad either.

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I remember reading a very old gunsmithing and stock finishing book where the author describes how to make just about any blade tip you ever need.

He used old screwdrivers, cut them off, and started from scratch.

After shaping and filing to his needs, he treated the metal for hardness, but not too brittle.

He had pictures and said he had used them for years with just a fine tuning as needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

galazan hardstahl screwdrivers

galazan turn screw

hardstahl screw drivers

hardstahl screwdrivers