1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

screwdriver sets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tammike, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tammike

tammike Member

Where to buy gunsmithing screwdriver for European shotguns ?

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I've seen 'sets' advertised at both Brownells and Midway, and at Galazan's of course.

That said, if you have a couple of files and a propane torch, it's a 10min job to make your own screwstick to fit YOUR screw, exactly.

Make a set of what you need for that gun, and keep them with it.

Bob

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Brownells has the set as a seprate set dont know about midway

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Go with Brownells and you will not be sorry.

5. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Brownells

Allen

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I supplement the Brownells set with a 116 piece bit set from Menards ( about 10 bucks on sale)

This bit set has a lot of bits the Brownells one doesnt have and they fit the brownells handles

Also you can grind bits to exact size with a dremel tool- and they are hollow ground that way-

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

gunsmith screw drivers are not hollow ground. They are parallel sided.

8. g7777777

hollow ground isparallel sided - you take a wheel( like on a dremel ) and use it until the sides are that way

hollow ground is a technique

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I have this set and it was a great purchase. $70 from Midway.

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Gene: You are smoother than me. I told a guy he was full of shit the other night and of course he wants to kick my ass! You smoothly tell him he is full of shit! Nice job! Tom Rhoads

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

12. Smiley

Smiley Member

buy a set of gunsmiths screwdrivers and then file to fit the screw,that's what gunsmiths do (the screwdrivers are cheap compared to the screws)

13. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

The problem with the Brownell set is that the thin ones break so easily. I bougt ht their big set and all of the thin ones broke, I was going to send it back but I failed to do it.
    Don

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

GN7, Hollow ground does not mean parallel sided, it is a shape. It means to create a concave surface on each side. Concave surfaces are not parallel.

I looked at A Price's link;

"the ideal parallel section is ground at the tip to fit the screw slot properly through the full width and depth of the slot. (This is what keeps you from buggering screws - a blade tip that evenly distributes the turning torque applied at the handle to the full width and depth of the screw slot.]"
    "The long parallel shank maintains the same diameter as the width of the blade"

"Hollow Ground " in this case is referring to the bottom of the blade where it curves outward and becomes the shaft. It is not a useful part of the blade, just advertising BS. These are the same shape as their other gunsmith screwdrivers that don't advertise "hollow ground". The hollow grind on a knife or saw blade is a useful part of the blade.

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Thank you Don. I was going to get one of their sets but they were out of stock.

16. g7777777

Well we could argue hollow ground all day but if you look at a screwdriver you pick up from menards you will see the entire blade tapers from both sides

It isnt the tip that is important- its that it fits in the depth to the bottom of the slot

how you "convert" the tapered side bits to parellel side is by hollow grinding the bit

It is a technique

Geme

17. letts

letts TS Member

I have a very good set of short screwdriver bits. I just love it when they will not fit where I need to go because of the big socket on the handle of the tool which you need to retain the bit. If you are spending good money for a set of screwdrivers I would recommend a set of fixed shank tools.

Letts

18. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

You guys seem to be arguing about the same thing. The term "hollow ground" is used for the face of the driver not the sides. While it is true that the sides of a gunsmith driver are usually parallel, that is not what hollow ground means.

Here is a pic of a regular screwdriver and a hollow ground one:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the hollow ground bit, on the right, is indeed parallel at the tip and the regular driver is tapered all the way. I think this is what Gene is referring to.

19. Gabe

Gabe Member

It amazes me how a simple thread can go off track so easy. That being said Brownell's does sell their thin bit add on set. Great for the thin slotted screws. Yes I do break one once in a while but Brownell's has always replaced them with a new one. Gabe

20. g7777777

Rastoff- a picture was worth a thousand words-- thanks

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

menards hollow ground bit sets