1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

screw in chokes vs fixed barrel chokes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onehipbill, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onehipbill

Onehipbill TS Member

I have a Remington 1100 with a Ubanks High Rib, tight fixed full choke. I have been shooting trap for approximately 6 years. I would like to have screw in chokes to make up for the lack of trap shooting skills. Does anyone know of a good, quality, quick turnaround, gunsmith ? I have been told about a gunsmith located in OK , Skeet is his name . I have not been able to locate the Gunsmith. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill Coughlin

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

SKEETS GUN SHOP, 918-456-4749. 18818 S 540 Rd Tahlequah, OK 74464

Good choice.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bill: My opinion. Choke tubes won't give you better scores. Just one more element to confuse a person. An adjustable comb would be much more beneficial than choke tubes. Ed

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bill- Several gunsmiths can do a good job of installing screw in chokes. Unfortunately they will not "make up for a lack of trapshooting skills". I sure wish they would.

Pat Ireland

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The Eubanks high rib is a very valuable barrel to own. If you really want choke tubes you would be much better off buying another barrel cheap than in spoiling a work of art by Roger Eubanks.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Bill Please help me out here . What do you think a more open choke will do for you . Also have you patternd your gun now ? Not trying to be a smart s$$ but a full choke should make about a 28 inch pattern at 30 yards a Mod choke will make about a 30 inch at 30 yards . My question is do you think that 2 inches will make a real big difference ? My gun shot a very small pattern at 30 yards like 21 inches so I had Tom Wilkinson open it up to .034 and now I have about a 28 inch pattern at 30 yards . If you ever try to sell your gun (barrel ) i would not be interested in screw in chokes in that nice 1100 barrel .

KEYBEAR

7. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Listen to them......I thought Modified was the best way to go until I got fitted......now I trust my Full or IM......was hard to ween off though. Get fitted before thinking "more open"

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I understand what he's saying. In theory, A tighter, smaller pattern, means more skill to hit the bird. Open pattern has it's advantages but holes appear which the bird may sneek thru. Pattern that gun first. If that barrel is as good as they say I would look for other causes. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fixed choke vs screw-in