1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Screw holes in plastic deck

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gun1357, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

My daughter has a new recycled plastic deck on the back of her house. It is
    really nice but it would look better if there was a product that would permanently cover the screw holes and blend in with the deck. Has anyone had experience doing this? Ron Renouf

2. Billetproof

Billetproof Active Member

What if you took a plastic wood putty , mixed in a pigment to get the color to match and then filled them. I'm sure someone at Menards could help you.

3. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

In a marine supply store, under water marine epoxy, hard or for vibrations, can be used and matched for color doesnt shrink. Lee

4. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I build window shutters (indoor/outdoor) which are plastic or vinyl material and we use the same wood putty for our wood shutters on our plastic shutters. It also sands down so you don't notice the lump.

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

It will look worse when all the putty starts coming loose.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you screw from the bottom there are no screw holes

Gene

7. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

get plug cutter and use some scrap decking boards and make plugs, should be a really good match... you can use a sidecut saw to trim the tops off.....Grubby

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nothing i hate worse is someone more anal than me. If you must insist on filling them, iw really needs to be made of something that will flex woth the heating and cooling of the deck boards. I like "Grubby Jacks" idea best. Cement the plugs in will a flexible epoxy or clue. Make extra plugs and keep the expoxy on hand to fix any plugs that may come loose.

9. primed

primed Well-Known Member

My thoughts:

The composite materials don't last forever. Would sure be easier to dismantle when needed if there was no putty over the screws.

Assuming that the screws are already in place in the face of the decking, because you noticed them, bottom screwer77777 is well ..........Gene.

Don't spend time on the deck looking at screws. Enjoy the view and outdoors and don't look down. Accept what is under you and carry on.

Bob

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ron, In the cab. business there are plastic screw covers offered in a 3-5 basic colors that will work with a phillips or square type screw heads. These will only work if the screws are installed flush with the deck top. If they are countersunk below the deck surface they will not work. You can simply twist and push to allain and tap them in with a hammer once or twice. Check with a cab. supply company and have them sent to your home for the best price. Or simply paint with some model paint and brush??? Break-em all JEff

I would not install a permanent type plug or wood filler!!!! You may need to pick-up some boards here or there and get back under there for plumbing, electric, critter reasons, or whatever.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Bondo or two part glazing compound

12. higun

higun Member

Available in several colors

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was going to make a new gun rack for the club until I got prices. Man that stuff is pricey.

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

As usual a bunch of speculation from "experts" who have no clue.

So typical.

Guy B.

15. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

depending on the brand of composite decking,in most better lumberyards,there is a product called Cortex. This will solve your problem,to a point. It would have looked better before you had screwed down the deck. The product that I represent is called captor. If you contact me I can recommened a perfect color matched screw that we make.
    Glenn

16. kriegart

kriegart Member

Don't look at it.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Cover it with indoor/outdoor carpet!

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

"a new recycled plastic deck." i read that to mean that your daughter has a new deck on her house made out of old/used composite decking. that's the only way you'd have a problem with seeing screw holes - the holes from the previous installation. you see, composite decking goes down with a specific fastener which sits flush with the surface, matches in color and doesn't cause the material to mushroom up around it. there are no "screw holes"

19. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Put screwsin the screw holes. People will not "notice" them as they're "supposed" to be there.

20. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Neighbor acrrs the street just had a plastic deck installed. The screws used were special and actually bored a nice clean hole. Screws had matching plastic plugs that they popped into all the screw holes for a perfect look. Plastic plugs even had graining in them to match the decking.

Also new product : http://www.camofasteners.com which is a special jig that inserts special screws at an exact angle on the edges of each board for a perfect look.

No need to look at ugly screws!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.