1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

screens for sorting shot sizes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quicky, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicky

quicky Member

I am looking for a screen which will allow me to pass #8 1/2 and smaller shot, keeping behind the larger sizes. I haven't been able to find just the right size mesh openings on the internet, taking into consideration the wire sizes. This is for reclaimed shot. Would also like to find one that would pass the 8's and 7 1/2's from the larger shot but I am not as concerned about that one at the moment. Any help out there I would appreciate. Thanks, Quicky (Drop the x's on the e-mail address above).

2. quicky

quicky Member

anybody?

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Quicky,
    Let me know what you come up wiyh. I am looking also. Bill

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

look up Mc Master carr----woven wire cloth-----Type 304 stainless steel--- You need the 8x8 in at 12inx 12in piece. get the wire dia----.028--.032 and .035 that will sort very close 7---- 8 ------ 9---. they are not purfect but close. Tell them you want to try them I think they will give a discount

5. quicky

quicky Member

I'll look that up. I also sent an e-mail to a couple screen manufacturers about remnant pieces as they look like they have almost an infinite variety of mesh sizes, half and quarter sizes. I'll let everyone know what I find. KQ

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Use the McMaster info above. I did and the screen was very inexpensive, maybe $3.00 a sheet 12"x12". Call them--nice people and will ship directly to you and quickly, two to three day delivery. I took those and mounted them on either side if a steel five gallon ( buy two sheets of each size) can with metal banding and small bolts, then bolted three "L" shaped brackets (Lowes) at intervals around the forward lip of the bucket. I then welded three tabs with nuts on the front edga of a small cement mixer to match the bucket and viola, I have a very good sorting machine. It will easily handle 100# at a time and sort time is about 5 min. I use the mixer to wash hulls, sort shot and graphite shot. (I sort and graphite at the same time.)It was a good investment. At the time $200 from Harbor Freight but I think they have gone up to about $250 now.
    I do not take credit for this, there was a fellow poster some time back who furnished photo's---his hard work and generosity is where the credit belongs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.